BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
BugKiller
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4Cx cvt

Niagara Falls NY back to So. Calif. road trip

Prior threads:
SoCal to Florida (so far) road trip https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1952817
Florida to Niagara Falls NY (so far) road trip https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post29388892

[I covered Ontario Canada and to Chicago in a reply in 'Florida to Niagara Falls NY ...'.]

The anchor points in this trip were Cocoa Beach FL (time share week), Niagara Falls (new wife's request), and outside Chicago (high school reunion).

This was my first and last reunion. Half the people I would have liked to talk to are dead already. By the time we sat for dinner everybody had figured out who each other had voted for and the tables were populated accordingly. I left before the dancing began; as did about half those attending. The only cool car was a C43 (probably belongs to one of the catering staff, LOL).

We took I88, I80, and I76 to Denver. Bad Mexican food in North Platte Nebraska set me up for a bad night in Denver. My wife took us to visit a distant family member there, who cooked more Mexican food for us. The night manager of the hotel we stayed at has a M6, and semi cursed me out for not having spec'ed my car in gold paint.

Denver to Richmond Utah and to the Nevada border were magical. The trees were turning color in Colorado and the scenery in Utah is heart stopping. The hotel (Richmond) was great (filled with an off-road club) and the food next door was good (waitress got everything wrong about my order except for it being chicken but they ran out of small beer glasses so gave us 24oz mugs for the low price). The roads were very _open_ (read volumes into that ...) and the gas was cheap ($4.29 premium, vs $6.29 we had to pay in Las Vegas).

Crossing Nevada, fueling in Las Vegas, and returning to outside L.A. were as expected. The car is almost due for its first 10k service but I will probably only drive it 200 miles a week until my next road trip -- I am thinking Mexico.