E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What is BMW Progman ??

12-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Fritzables
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i M-Sport

What is BMW Progman ??

Hi to all,

I have seen on a number of sites lately, typically sites associated with ECU programming and the like where people have mentioned BMW Progman.

What is BMW Progman??

Fritzables.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

i don't know but this site might come in useful
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...gman-home.html

i think it means messing/changing your ECU manually w/o taking to the dealer or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
Fritzables
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i M-Sport

Thanks Godora,

Yea, I think it has put some light on the subject. Basically it's BMW's Windows program that allows the ECU to be downloaded and reflashed.

Fritzables.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

no problem bro, glad to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
PROGMAN is an abbreviation of "Programming Manager" a BMW software based system designed to reside on a specific set of hardware configuration (SSS or SSSr2) that will allow software updates to up to five cars at a time. It will update the ENTIRE vehicle (over 25 different defined sub-systems in each BMW) not just one area such as DME/ECU. It requires special BMW supplied connectors and connectivity to perform this function although standard ports (OBD II) are allowed but not the most efficient.

The PROGMAN, formerly known as CIP (Programming, Coding and Individualization), updates are distributed to dealers in DVD form for major changes and those major changes can have several minor updates distributed via BMW’ online system. Even now many dealers and owners are confused by the use of PROGMAN and / or CIP references but neither really tells you what software you have. That really is defined by the Target Data Status (TDS) which nails down the vehicle series, month/year and level of the actual installed software on a BMW.

Now to add to this already confused state comes ISTA/P. ISTA/P is the new programming tool designed to replace PROGMAN. And it will have new numbering convention.

So if anyone is confused now just wait.
      12-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac View Post
PROGMAN is an abbreviation of "Programming Manager" a BMW software based system designed to reside on a specific set of hardware configuration (SSS or SSSr2) that will allow software updates to up to five cars at a time. It will update the ENTIRE vehicle (over 25 different defined sub-systems in each BMW) not just one area such as DME/ECU. It requires special BMW supplied connectors and connectivity to perform this function although standard ports (OBD II) are allowed but not the most efficient.

The PROGMAN, formerly known as CIP (Programming, Coding and Individualization), updates are distributed to dealers in DVD form for major changes and those major changes can have several minor updates distributed via BMW’ online system. Even now many dealers and owners are confused by the use of PROGMAN and / or CIP references but neither really tells you what software you have. That really is defined by the Target Data Status (TDS) which nails down the vehicle series, month/year and level of the actual installed software on a BMW.

Now to add to this already confused state comes ISTA/P. ISTA/P is the new programming tool designed to replace PROGMAN. And it will have new numbering convention.

Very good explanation!

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

A bit of further elaboration: Forget Progman.

In regard to the labels P and v., this involves a major change in the software process. The service depts had to swap out their Software Service Stations (SSS -- now termed Integrated Software Service Stations, or ISSS). The ISTA/P is the new programming tool that is replacing the Progman tool. It requires the 3rd Gen ISIS. The SSS r1s are being junked. This is partly why it has taken awhile to get v.32 up and running. I should think that Shiv and a few other folks might have a lot of fun if they managed to get their hands on one. The v. stands for version. The new label just adds the P2 before the version to identify the new system. One interesting development is that the data will now stream to ISTA rather than to Siemans. This may provide more direct monitoring of data by BMW.
Appreciate 0