E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > So i have a second interview...

12-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Donster
McShnizzle Meister
Rep
Drives: E320 CDi+A4(Remap),BMW (Soon!)

So i have a second interview...

Well in my current role i have been promoted. But there is no harm in looking right? So i was kind put forward by an agent for a really good role elswhere.

I passed the first one with flying colours i was told. Pretty much the front-runner in the second round.

lol, this credit crunch is really seperating the men form the boys. I did three pyscometric tests for this role and one 2hr interview. I have noticed that companies are treating prospective candidates for interview like one would deal with a car that was being traded in.

They can really do whatever the hell they want. There is more supply than demand. i.e - fewer jobs and a lot of highly qualified people.

But ho hum...

SO...Any advice on the second round interview stuff????
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Just want to say congratulations and also good luck! I've no advice I'm afraid though.

What sort of area of work is it?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Donster
McShnizzle Meister
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Just want to say congratulations and also good luck! I've no advice I'm afraid though.

What sort of area of work is it?
Cheers Porscha!

I'm a CIMA qualified accountant and the role is for a corporate finance area manager

Good pay, benefits, bonus, company car allowance etc.

The company is FTSE-25, so its pretty massive. Also the sector is energy and utilities, so i should be ok regarding job-security.

There is a bit of international travel to places like Nigeria, Phillipenes and Lagos (). But nowhere near as much as my last place.

Biggest benefit is it is 9 miles away from my house. This means no long journeys back and forth etc! Means i take the prospective 355D on more scenic routes instead of the M6 to Birmingham!

Been working since i was 14 years of age. Only really now starting to see hard work paying off etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster View Post
I'm a CIMA qualified accountant and the role is for a corporate finance area manager

The company is FTSE-25, so its pretty massive. Also the sector is energy and utilities, so i should be ok regarding job-security.

There is a bit of international travel to places like Nigeria, Phillipenes and Lagos (). But nowhere near as much as my last place.

Biggest benefit is it is 9 miles away from my house. This means no long journeys back and forth etc! Means i take the prospective 355D on more scenic routes instead of the M6 to Birmingham!
Very good luck with it all then

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
SO...Any advice on the second round interview stuff????
Second round interviews usually mean that they already accept that you are qualified for the job. It's now a case of showing them what you would be able to offer to the organisation.

My advise would be to:

1. Find out as much as possible about the business and be ready to explain why you want to work for them and why you would want to give up your current position. They are bound to ask and you will need a good answer prepared.

2. You are also likely to face questions about your personality and management style. Again, have answers ready. My personal favourites are the old strengths and weaknesses ones. It's easy to present a strength (e.g. quick to identify the root cause of problems, but weaknesses are harder if you are not ready).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

I like to try and make the interviewers laugh (with me, not at me ). I think this helps relieve some of the tension, shows that you're a nice person to work with, and especially when there are other well-qualified candidates, makes you stand out more. Ultimately, you'll need a "champion", someone who will bang his / her hands on the table and say, "I REALLY like this person, I demand we hire him!". Or something to that effect
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Cheers Porscha!

Been working since i was 14 years of age. Only really now starting to see hard work paying off etc.

There are plenty of good ACMA out there at the moment looking for jobs. The 3 areas in demand are strong commercial managers, systems intergaration skills and sarbox. You appear to be looking for a commercial job but would asssume from your age/salary band you are newly qualified.

Do you have sector knowledge from the area the company works in I assume oil industry probably based on the supply side Exon Mobile, Shell, BP or KBR??. Read up on the company, industry and competitors this is a highly competive area with Afica being an established growing market place. Lagos, Port Hardcourt and Warri are the key oil areas of Nigeria and you should know this going into a 2nd interview.

This interview will be with the hiring manager. They will assume you have the core financial skill so they are looking for your commercial experience and how you add value to the current team. Get examples of this experience, show when you have lead projects, teams, management skills in decision making and show you have all round business skills, a personality can explain financial issues to non financial managers and not just another bean counting accountant, but a business manager they can trust within their organisation. Don't be arragent with experience they don't expect you to know it all!!

I would expect you to be asking questions about the company, industry, team, Go through the job spec ask questions on terminology you are unclear of and ask what they expect you to do today, in 6 months & say 2 years down the line.

Good luck with the interview - sound a interesting job and with your qualification the rewards only get better with hard work.

P.S. I would understand how long you are expected to be in Nigeria each year. The western workers live in compounds and are transported to the Airport by armed guard. Make sure this is for you and your family.
      12-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Donster
McShnizzle Meister
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
There are plenty of good ACMA out there at the moment looking for jobs. The 3 areas in demand are strong commercial managers, systems intergaration skills and sarbox. You appear to be looking for a commercial job but would asssume from your age/salary band you are newly qualified.

Do you have sector knowledge from the area the company works in I assume oil industry probably based on the supply side Exon Mobile, Shell, BP or KBR??. Read up on the company, industry and competitors this is a highly competive area with Afica being an established growing market place. Lagos, Port Hardcourt and Warri are the key oil areas of Nigeria and you should know this going into a 2nd interview.

This interview will be with the hiring manager. They will assume you have the core financial skill so they are looking for your commercial experience and how you add value to the current team. Get examples of this experience, show when you have lead projects, teams, management skills in decision making and show you have all round business skills, a personality can explain financial issues to non financial managers and not just another bean counting accountant, but a business manager they can trust within their organisation. Don't be arragent with experience they don't expect you to know it all!!

I would expect you to be asking questions about the company, industry, team, Go through the job spec ask questions on terminology you are unclear of and ask what they expect you to do today, in 6 months & say 2 years down the line.

Good luck with the interview - sound a interesting job and with your qualification the rewards only get better with hard work.

P.S. I would understand how long you are expected to be in Nigeria each year. The western workers live in compounds and are transported to the Airport by armed guard. Make sure this is for you and your family.
lol. Wow Gibbo, are you an ACMA? Maybe an ACA?

Yeah my experience is pretty much SOX, commercial awareness and systems merger and integration (Oracle migration etc etc).

I dont really want the whole SOX stuff to be honest. The SOX stuff was beginning to piss me off a lot towards the end of my last job. I finalised all the management/statutory accounts and ther i am till 10pm ticking and boshing of checklists, journals and printing ream and reams of bolloxs of.

I know SOX serves a purpose, but i honestly think it can be made more robust etc. Anyway i digress.

I personally am hoping to get some decent post-qual experience under my belt and then see what happens etc. Hopefuly i will be doing ok and rolling in a brand spanking M3!!!

Gibbo you never ease to amaze me mate. Such a plethora of information, if only i was half as clever as you.

I have read some of your posts regarding financing/leasing/PCP. You most certainly know your shit to put it mildly lol. Credit to you..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

I am an ACMA for my sins.
      12-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Donster
McShnizzle Meister
Rep

Quote:
I am an ACMA for my sins.
Hey bredren!!!

Christ i barely got through the exams lol!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

ACMA here as well! Was made redundant from a top accounting firm in November, but start a new job on Jan 6th - car allowance has paid for the 335D!

For me finding a job was a little easier as luckily im a financial modeller and there is a shortage of modellers with commercial experience out there.

From what ive been led to believe 1st interviews are 'can this guy do the job' whils 2nd's are 'yes he can, but does he fit in with us'.

Best of luck .. its not nice out there at the mo job wise, but def no harm in pushing yourself a little more!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Good luck mate I was also thinking of changing jobs...been in this for a while.
      12-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I'm sick to the back teeth of my boss at the moment.
      12-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I heard he is on the BMW forum these days
      12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Didn't your misswah say something about him being an absolute ar*e, Will?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:

Carlos will be along shortly to correct your spelling errors.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
how you all know wills boss?
      12-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
how you all know wills boss?
Will brought him to the last meet.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Will brought him to the last meet.
yes i realise that for peeps who where there, what about the others.
      12-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #20
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuTurkey View Post
I like to try and make the interviewers laugh (with me, not at me ). I think this helps relieve some of the tension, shows that you're a nice person to work with, and especially when there are other well-qualified candidates, makes you stand out more. Ultimately, you'll need a "champion", someone who will bang his / her hands on the table and say, "I REALLY like this person, I demand we hire him!". Or something to that effect
Personally I'd say thats a very risqué strategy. I don't know what you do for a living but being an office clown isn't usually considered very professional in my line of work.... Colin Hunt springs to mind!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #21
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
Personally I'd say thats a very risqué strategy. I don't know what you do for a living but being an office clown isn't usually considered very professional in my line of work.... Colin Hunt springs to mind!

Bullshit,treat work the same as life, work hard at it and have fun doing it and never take it too seriously you don't have to be a clown
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #22
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Bullshit,treat work the same as life, work hard at it and have fun doing it and never take it too seriously you don't have to be a clown
Thats all very well and good but you need to get the job first! Go to an interview and try to make people laugh is not the best strategy in my opinion. They will think to themselves - if the guy is clowning around in an interview what's he going to be like if he gets the job...

J.
Appreciate 0