E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Went and drove a couple of V8s yesterday!

12-31-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Went and drove a couple of V8s yesterday!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I really really want a V8!

Well, I went to Mercedes Benz South Lakes in Ulverston yesterday to look at, and drive, a CLK500 and an SL500. Both cars are for sale under the 'Approved Stratstone' programme as opposed to the Approved Used MB one. Reason for that is the age of the cars apparently.

Anyway, I drove the 2003 (03) Tansanite Blue CLK500 first. It was a 51000 mile car, with blue roof and light grey leather interior. Well specced with COMAND, TV, Keyless Go (I love this), 6CD, Telephone but strangely enough no heated seats. First thing that struck me was the fantastic soundtrack. Salesman drove it up to the showroom door and whilst he went to find some trade plates I sat in it and blipped the throttle a few times. The noise, the noise..... just what I have been missing!

My impressions over a 5 mile or so test drive on some windy South Lakes roads were very favourable. It felt just right, a little bit of scuttle shake I thought, probably to be expected from a big convertible but there was plenty of power and a very smooth ride. By the end of the drive I knew that I 'need' a V8! I am not convinced I want a cabriolet, but nevertheless, the CLK was just right. A good compromise of space and performance, the boot space, even with the hood down, is better than my old Audi A4 Cab. The other plus sides for this car; the wheels - 17" AMGs with good tyres all round and full service history (of course) although he couldn't find the book. The car has two previous owners. It is up for £13994, which in today's climate just seems to be a little too expensive. There seemed to be no inclination to reduce the price, although I didn't push for a deal.

Next was the SL500 in Tellurite Blue. I was really looking forward to this, however, although the performance and engine note were largely on a par with the CLK, I was slightly underwhelmed with the SL. It was a very twitchy ride, certainly not as smooth as the CLK. I didn't get to grips with the ABC so I suppose selecting different settings may make a difference. The inside didn't feel particularly special, don't know why. The exposed roof hinge mechanism in the back didn't look right to me. This was a 5 previous owner car, having had 5 different numbers plates. It had only covered 41500 miles and was on a 52 plate. It did look fantastic from the outside though! It was for sale at £18300, what put me off this car was the number of previous owners and lack of 'proper' Merc warranty. It is one of the cheapest R230 SL500 on the market, but to me it is still expensive for a 6 year old car.

In summary, out of these two cars the CLK wins for me. Next move, sell the Jaguar X-Type estate (should never have bought it!!) and hold out for this car coming down further in price. Altenatively there is a low mileage 52 plate CLK500 Coupe for sale at £8700 on Autotrader! Either way, I am certainly convinced that a Merc V8 is for me!
Petrol is at its cheapest price for three years and oil prices are still heading south.....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Jaguar X-Type Estate? Must have missed you buying that one!

Shame the SL didn't drive well cos it looks lovely, maybe something up hence all the owners??
      12-31-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Jaguar X-Type Estate? Must have missed you buying that one!

Shame the SL didn't drive well cos it looks lovely, maybe something up hence all the owners??
X-Type bought in a 'sensible' moment. Buy in haste, regret (and repent) at leisure! It's OK as a car, comfortable, economical, biggish inside which has been useful over the last few weeks..... but it ain't me. I am also changing job location in January with fewer miles to be driven and hence the big petrol becomes highly affordable

The SL is a beauty to look at, it may just have been that that one was a little tired. There is also bugger all room in it apart from the driver, passanger and a few squashy bags. I think the time to buy an SL will be when the kids have left home and I have a big garage to keep it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Hi,

Brings back memories - I had a new CLK500 on a 52 plate when they came out - noise was good but I always found the interior a rather cheap mix of C Class (the orange bits) and E Class (the white dials). Quality was never up to the previous model IMO. I did get a nice walnut steering wheel - which looked great but always rattled on my wedding ring. The AMGs on the car above are 18"s by the way - the previous model had the 17"s.

I sold this a got a new 03 SL500 (happy days with more disposable!) - I'm amazed you think the CLK was better as the R230 SL was IMO a massive leap in quality. They are big cars but the air suspension made the car handle really well. The SL interior was in a totally different class to the CLK. I recall even the interior mirror had a memory function linked to the seats - you moved it by hand, but the car remembered how it was set when the seats were changed and it moved electrically - amazing attention to detail. The only worry I had was that I feared how much it would cost to keep running once a few years old - it felt totally solid but it had so many black boxes it was staggering. I did get a SL350, but this was not as good in terms of engine noise or ride (didn't have the airmatic suspension).

Hence, complexity aside, the SL would get my vote every time - mine was obsidian with black leather and black wood with 18" AMGs - an absolute treat!

Identical to this one (but without the front SL55 bumper)

http://www.petrolheads.co.uk/sales/776066.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I would completely agree that the SL is the better car overall. However, taking into account these two specific cars the CLK would be better for me out of the two - practicalities and space in particular are a big factor. The handling of the SL felt so twitchy is was disconcerting. Had I been given the opportunity to have these cars for a couple of hours each, on my own, I may have formulated slightly different views. I didn't mention, but the seats in the SL felt much more supportive than the CLK. I have to say that regularly driving a new Merc (GL320) both felt a little dated... the older gen COMAND is very fiddly and not as good as the newer version. I still want an SL but will wait for a few years.

Thanks for the info on the wheels, I thought they looked a bit big for 17"s!

As you mention the running costs of an older R230 SL500s should be carefully considered, especially without a decent warranty. Roof seals often leak (many replaced under warranty) this is over £2K to fix and the airmatic can also be £1000s when it goes wrong.

The CLK is also not without its problems. There are many stories about the 'valeo radiator' issue, which caused coolant glycol to get into the gearbox, wrecking the radiator/gearbox and torque converter. If/when I get the 500 a change of radiator to the newer design would be a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post

Hence, complexity aside, the SL would get my vote every time - mine was obsidian with black leather and black wood with 18" AMGs - an absolute treat!

Identical to this one (but without the front SL55 bumper)

http://www.petrolheads.co.uk/sales/776066.htm
I am quite partial to black with berry red leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
SL al day long, looks better and more expensive. Which it is. Mothers friend has a 06 one, had it ages. Lovely looking car just verts are not for me.

Good luck with the future purchase Petay.
      12-31-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I know a few people who have had CLK's and most have been unhappy with them.

Never driven one, but from their comments, my impression was that the handling was not up to scratch and the build quality was poor.

The SL is something a bit more special.

What about a CL:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=02
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
The handling of the SL felt so twitchy is was disconcerting.... the older gen COMAND is very fiddly and not as good as the newer version. I still want an SL but will wait for a few years.
I don't recall the ride / handling being anything other than excellent, considering how heavy the car was - maybe there was something amiss with the car you tried? Long time ago now, but I remember well the way the SL500 would corner with almost no roll (unlike the SL350), and it felt very chuckable for its size.

I've not seen an old COMAND for a while, not a patch on the later DVD version - not something to worry about though, consider it a quirky "period" sat nav! I recall my phone at the time (6310i) was brilliantly integrated in the SL - came up with names/phone no.s under the rev counter display I think. Mine had the pano roof too which was a nice option.

Should mention my roof broke once - some bolt sheared or dropped out or somthing - was easily fixed at the dealer under warranty but wouldn't like to think about how much some of the stuff would cost outside the warranty!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
The SL is a gorgeous car, I love it have drove an AMG one and it was really fab ! Good Luck

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Having said all that I stil like CLKs, and I've toyed with the idea of a 4 seater cab to replace our Mini at some point.

Recent CLK280 V6 Sports are now appearing at quite low prices, though the CO2 figures / mpg on all of them are pretty poor. You get a lot of nice car for your money though - great for wafting around in.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Having said all that I stil like CLKs, and I've toyed with the idea of a 4 seater cab to replace our Mini at some point.

Recent CLK280 V6 Sports are now appearing at quite low prices, though the CO2 figures / mpg on all of them are pretty poor. You get a lot of nice car for your money though - great for wafting around in.
I have yet to see many 'affordable' 280s yet. Mind you that depends on your definition of affordable. The V8s are very few and far between, particularly the good ones. Prices are also all over the place, I would not pay anywhere near some of the prices being asked by traders. The fact that the same ones have been on the Trader/PH for months and months tells a story!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I'm getting what you mean about big petrol engines at the moment. I bought petrol this morning at just under 83p/litre - I didn't need to fill up, but it felt like I just had to take advantage!

The SL would be an amazing car.... but are you sure you won't regret not buying a V10 in a few months!!!
      12-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #13
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Under 82p per litre? I've seen it at 85.9 soit is yet to comedown? yay won't bother with a 144, TVR here I come!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I'm getting what you mean about big petrol engines at the moment. I bought petrol this morning at just under 83p/litre - I didn't need to fill up, but it felt like I just had to take advantage!

The SL would be an amazing car.... but are you sure you won't regret not buying a V10 in a few months!!!
Great to see you back Gordon. Long time no see! I reckon petrol price still has a little way to fall yet.

Have a great Hogmany.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Donster
McShnizzle Meister
Rep
Drives: E320 CDi+A4(Remap),BMW (Soon!)

Get the CLK mate!

I had an E55 prior to the 320 CDi. The best thing about it was the V8 "Warble" and the exhaust note.

I had to sell it as my parents refused to sit in the car with me. My mother is disabled so i had no choice really!!!

Bought the E320 and remapped that instead..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Great to see you back Gordon. Long time no see! I reckon petrol price still has a little way to fall yet.

Have a great Hogmany.
Its good to be back! Does your new job location mean you'll no longer be north of the border? Good luck with the V8 search and best for 2009.
      12-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Its good to be back! Does your new job location mean you'll no longer be north of the border? Good luck with the V8 search and best for 2009.
I leave "sunny" Scotland at the end of January, although I will be a frequent visitor. I start work in Barrow-in-Furness in late Jan.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The private seller of the £8700 CLK500 (the one I mentioned in the original post) has just emailed me and said that it has been sold, after about 4 months of trying! Bit of a blow..... but I have just seen this one pop up on Pistonheads, have emailed the seller! I quite like Silver and Black.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/831147.htm
Appreciate 0