E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > F1 at sliverstone tickets

12-31-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
F1 at sliverstone tickets

hi
i am thinking of going to sliverstone in 09 as i have never done a F1 race before and love it on TV, has anyone been there or have done a track day there and know where the best place to watch, i dont mind sitting or standing,
i saw these for £169 is this for one day or 3
about Luffield A
You will see the cars for longer in the complex than anywhere else on the circuit. They fly in from Bridge before negotiating their way through the difficult left handers, then it's all about throttle control as they ease through Luffield and get the power down as soon as possible through Woodcote to head down the main straight

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/php/rm_...ay_ticket.html
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
hi
i am thinking of going to sliverstone in 09 as i have never done a F1 race before and love it on TV, has anyone been there or have done a track day there and know where the best place to watch, i dont mind sitting or standing,
i saw these for £169 is this for one day or 3
about Luffield A
You will see the cars for longer in the complex than anywhere else on the circuit. They fly in from Bridge before negotiating their way through the difficult left handers, then it's all about throttle control as they ease through Luffield and get the power down as soon as possible through Woodcote to head down the main straight

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/php/rm_...ay_ticket.html
I've been to the last three British Grand Prix's. Personally I think it's a great day out.

I normally sit at Stowe, which is nice because you see the cars at full whack coming toward you down the Hanger straight, then heavy braking right in front of you for Stowe corner itself.

I had a good wander round the track earlier in the year at a renaultsport event and I reckon Luffield would also be a good spot.

The cars are moving more slowly here, but because the track loops back on itself, so you will see them for quite a long time. Might be a bit confusing though because of the loop.

'Bridge' which is immediately adjacent would also be good I think as this is also the point where the cars are closest to the spectators when they come out of the tunnel.

I think that all of the tickets are for the 3 days. The qualifying is quite good to watch, because the atmosphere is very relaxed and you can wander about at will. On the day itself, the crowds are pretty major and it takes a long time to move around the circuit.

Having said that, the support for Hamilton the last 2 times has been such that it's rammed on the Sat as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I find silverstone a disappointment from a spectators point of view. Try another Grand prix or wait till donno.
      01-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

might be a long wait for donni though...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I thought they secured it for 2010.

Cant wait myself. So much better than silverstone, Just hope they up security though. So many pikeys around there.
      01-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

For £12, the testing sessions are great value.

You usually get several teams shaking down over the 3 days and they run all day from 10am (gates open). So you can get 6 or 7 hours of F1 rather than an hour or so (unless of course the support races are your thing too..)

With the testing you can sit and watch from Copse all the way up the grandstand, through the complexes, under the bridge and right up past Abbey and Club to Stowe...

Crowds are light.. you can sit where you want for as long as you want, go right to the fence line for your pics; Beer and food wagons are there with no queues.... I've done this for the past 3 years..

All for £12.

Note: Grab a full English and a mug of tea at the Jack's Hill Cafe before you start

Update:
Already sold out by the looks of it!!!!
How the hell can they sell out??? More importantly, why prevent fans struggling with money this year from getting access for a paltry £12??

Another nail in the system for me.....

Last edited by alcook; 01-01-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I find silverstone a disappointment from a spectators point of view. Try another Grand prix or wait till donno.
Agreed - been to both a few times - incl watching Senna at Donnington. Donno is a much better circuit for spectators.
      01-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
tell you the truth its going to be one of the last times to watch f1 at sliverstone so i thought i would try it,
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I thought they secured it for 2010.

Cant wait myself. So much better than silverstone, Just hope they up security though. So many pikeys around there.
They have got it for 2010 but there's quite a bit of work required to bring it up to scratch I believe. And knowing what this country is like getting it completed on time may be an issue...

Saying that is silverstone any better...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
tell you the truth its going to be one of the last times to watch f1 at sliverstone so i thought i would try it,
The silverstone grand prix was the first one I watched last year and it was brilliant. Peeing it down with rain people spinning all over the place and hamilton's performance was epic.

Really enjoyed so I booked tickets for this grand prix at silverstone espescially as it is going to be the last one.

I've gone for tickets at becketts, can't wait.

J.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I think Silverstone is fine. Wherever you sit you only get a partial view of the circuit, but it's still an enjoyable experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
keithIOW
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 325 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcook View Post
Update:
Already sold out by the looks of it!!!!
How the hell can they sell out??? More importantly, why prevent fans struggling with money this year from getting access for a paltry £12??

Another nail in the system for me.....
In season testing has been banned for 2009 so unfortuneately there wont be any testing at all this year at Silverstone

I went for all 3 days last year and all of the teams were there. It was amazing. I managed to get some decent photos is anyones interested:

Day 2 http://www.motorsportphoto.net/frmCa...ng/silvtest082

day 3 http://www.motorsportphoto.net/frmCa...ng/silvtest083

I was at the GP last year sitting in Woodcote A and the view was brilliant. One word of warning though, it was bloody freezing!!

E93 325 SE, Sparkling Graphite, Black Dakota, hi-gloss black trim, 230's, Folding Mirrors, C/A, Sat Nav, Sport Seats, Front Seat Heating, prof Hi-Fi

Last edited by keithIOW; 01-05-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0