E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Exhaust vibration isolator with aftermarket systems

01-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Exhaust vibration isolator with aftermarket systems

I'd pretty much bet this has been discussed before, but honestly I cant find it. So, here we go...

Last week I had a shop replace the piping from the downpipes to nearly the mufflers with 2.5" mandrel bent stainless. The idea was to rid the cats as well as all the nasty crushed piping that is under the car.

I made two observations;

1) Most of the crushed or "smooched" piping occurs in tight interference prone areas. I can understand that. But, some of the crushed piping (namely the passanger side pre-muffler area, is deformed without apparent layout related issues. In other words, someone went out of their way to pay a supplier more money to make extra deformations for no apparent reason. Just something to ponder, but I wonder if its done for killing the sound.

2) I've never owned a car that has a 3Hz vibration isolator on the exhaust pipe (at least that is what I am assuming this is). Is this customary ? Does the stock exhaust have some resonance frequency where if it didnt have the vibration isolator all hell would break loose

For those of you with aftermarket systems, is this isolator added back in? I doubt it, but just wondering.

Lastly, the exhaust sounds pretty darn good now being fully catless from 3" tapered to 2.5" back. I did notice one funny thing though. It does have a raspity metalic sound when going medium throttle off the line or cruising in 6th at very low rpm and blipping the throttle. Wonder if thats related to what was mentioned above, or if its just the nature of the catless beast. My understanding of what people thought was RASPY is not this sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

I know what you mean about the rasp. And IMO, after nearly a week I am not sure I will live with it. Meaning, I may go back to the stock midpipes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

thats exactly why i kept my stock midpipes and the CAT in the middle. Important is to free it right after the turbos and at the end.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Nah its not that bad. For my particular case its only under very specific conditions. Hell, if my wife doesnt mind driving around with me, it must be OK

So what about my other questions/observations?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

NE one?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I was wondering the same thing. fully catless britalman exhaust setup causes drone in the mid 2000rpm range. I was looking at that vibration dampener on the stock system and looking how to replicate it on the britalman exhaust.

I found idead for noise cancelation add on pipes that ran parallel w/ the actual exhaust and piped in at a 90 degree angle.

see here: http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=496793

I'll probably never get to do this as I think my car is totalled, but maybe someone else can give it a shot?
      01-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
RBP AW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i MT

I've noticed the same thing with my Britalman, though I still retain the stock downpipes and thus 2 cats. That being said, I have a unique set up - I have the original VRS rear diffuser (e92) which, as some may recall, actually shrouds the exhaust tips. After heat expansion, it vibrates against the diffuser at low RPMs where you would usually encounter drone. To get to the point, if you are interested in fixing your drone issues, its very easy for me to pinpoint the exact RPM that corresponds with particular exhaust frequencies. If you need to calculate pipe section lengths etc. just let me know
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I was wondering the same thing. fully catless britalman exhaust setup causes drone in the mid 2000rpm range. I was looking at that vibration dampener on the stock system and looking how to replicate it on the britalman exhaust.

I found idead for noise cancelation add on pipes that ran parallel w/ the actual exhaust and piped in at a 90 degree angle.

see here: http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=496793

I'll probably never get to do this as I think my car is totalled, but maybe someone else can give it a shot?
What the F..k happen to your car? Totalled...holy shit man that really sucks...What are you planning to get afterwards...You had one of the nicest rides on this forum!!
Appreciate 0