E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 transfer case diagnostic

06-30-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
Geocan
Rep
Drives: e90 2008

e90 transfer case diagnostic

I believe I am having transfer case issue on my 2011 328xi, after the car warms up it vibrates like pulsation when hard accelerating, it feels like something is wrong with drivetrain, I have heard one way of knowing if the transfer case is defective is unplugging the transfer case actuator motor and if the car drives smooth then something is wrong with the transfer case, My jack is broken now and I am wondering is there a fuse I can disconnect instead unplugging the motor? also I remember seeing my inpa scanner indicates oil service due for the transfer case, I am not very convinced if changing oil would fix the problem.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:29 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocan View Post
... 2011 328xi, after the car warms up it vibrates like pulsation when hard accelerating... also I remember seeing my inpa scanner indicates oil service due for the transfer case
1) If you have INPA, what are the fault codes in ALL Modules (Functional Jobs > F4 > F1)?
2) What Warning Lights are on Instrument Cluster as you drive?
3) WHY do you suspect an issue with the Transfer Case?
4) At what speed range does vibration occur/ is vibration worst?
5) Was anything done UNDER vehicle prior to noticing vibration?
6) On 2008 & Later 328xi, fuse F40 (30A) powers the VTG Actuator, via the VGSG Transfer Box Control Unit. You can simply remove that fuse and VTG will NOT be powered by VGSG.

If there are NO Fault Codes in "19 VGSG" using INPA (per attached pdf), then I doubt removing the fuse will change anything. There are a LOT of things in the Drive train, particularly U-Joints or CV Joints, which can cause vibration when they begin to fail, and do NOT set Fault Codes.

As far as "54C6" VGSG Fault Code, that is normally set by a mileage-based "Timer", and NOT some measurement of oil quality or quantity. If you have > 130,000 miles on the vehicle, I would CHANGE BOTH the Transfer Case Fluid and Transmission Fluid & Filter. 54C6 Fault code ALONE would NOT explain vibration.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (591.1 KB, 17 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #3
Geocan
Rep

Thank you for the reply, There is no any code stored in memory. no lights lit, my mechanic says about the transfer case issue, it is not speed issue mut mostly occurs 3, 4, 5th gears during acceleration, it's a car I purchased 3 weeks ago, the car was sitting for a year, had water pump issue, I had to tow and start fixing it but transfer case is too much for me to handle, it has 185k kilometer
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:53 PM   #4
Geocan
Rep

BTW, I remember using ISTA, I always mixing them, I find the interface a bit better visually
Appreciate 0