BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The Countdown begins.....

And so the countdown begins....

"Remember the Good times? The times you reminice and long for ?
the period where you can fall back on when things get tough?

It's the crave for for something nostalgic that triggers your emotions..."

The new BMW 1er Coupe
Emotional Response.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

looks like all is quiet on the front......unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I've never kept a ca for more than 4 years... but this might be the one...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I am so ready for this little 1-er. It's N/A debut will come a little late for me.
I'm going to have to get something else to tide me over until the 1-er is in the showrooms.
But, this is a very important car in so many ways- for me, it signals a return to the source..BMW's authentic heritage.
Thanks Scott - I'm looking forward to more updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
PACIFICONE2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

Scott26, when will we see the footage of the Sydney shoot? Will it be first available on the BMW International Page.....or will we expect to see on TV?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This wait is going to kill me.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

It's all being worked on as we speak being edited and having it's soundtrack added and mixed. The footage is really enticing, From the opening scenes on the media presentation is just the Coupe travelling on the Sydney Harbour bridge. And you get to see it in different angles from the rear , The POV of the road , head on and side on as it crosses the bridge at sunset . Of course there is other driving shots on the coast and in the city aswell with upwards shots of Sydneys Skyline as the car cruises the streets and then a night driving sequence . There is also a sequence where someone see's the coupe pass and it reflects in black and white to a 2002 driving past - Hence the tag line " Emotional Response"

Took pretty tough negotiations to get the Sydney Harbour Bridge well a couple of lanes closed so we could shoot.
I am not doing the Coupe presentation I am working on presentations of the 1er Cabrio , MINI Clubman , M3 cabrio and then X6. MINI starts shooting in Tokyo this month followed by a trip to NYC.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Brookside
Major
Rep

Emotional Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It's all being worked on as we speak being edited and having it's soundtrack added and mixed. The footage is really enticing, From the opening scenes on the media presentation is just the Coupe travelling on the Sydney Harbour bridge. And you get to see it in different angles from the rear , The POV of the road , head on and side on as it crosses the bridge at sunset . Of course there is other driving shots on the coast and in the city aswell with upwards shots of Sydneys Skyline as the car cruises the streets and then a night driving sequence . There is also a sequence where someone see's the coupe pass and it reflects in black and white to a 2002 driving past - Hence the tag line " Emotional Response"

Took pretty tough negotiations to get the Sydney Harbour Bridge well a couple of lanes closed so we could shoot.
I am not doing the Coupe presentation I am working on presentations of the 1er Cabrio , MINI Clubman , M3 cabrio and then X6. MINI starts shooting in Tokyo this month followed by a trip to NYC.
Emotional Rescue

2009 Audi A3 Cabriolet

This segment, small/sporty/premium is the new niche in the automobile industry.

They personify the quintessential postmodern theme of new values by addressing cutting edge technology, low emissions and fun-ctionality.
The 1-ers debut...particularly in the North American market, is more than just the introduction of a new model.
It is the messenger for a new way of thinking about weaning people from the idea of big is always better.

Hats off to both companies for not dummying down and de-contenting the small models. And both companies have their work cut out for them.
Old habits die hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Hats off to both companies for not dummying down and de-contenting the small models. And both companies have their work cut out for them.
Couldn't agree more.

I always go back to the Miata analogy, as it's the only example I can think of where a completely uncompromised concept innovated, persisted and thrived. It is now the best selling sports car in history, for good reason. And it has an unprecedented following and loyalty among owners. It is an icon.

I think we are witnessing the birth of a new icon with this, the smallest of the BMWs. It will be purposeful, beautiful, fun and somewhat affordable, by the looks of things. For me, what little information has come to light has already generated the kind of enthusiasm and anticipation that the Miata did.

If cars are a reflection of our personalities, this segment of cars is just what I have been waiting for. The A3 looks very nice, but I think the BMW will blow the others away...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

The new Volvo C30, while not as direct a competitor to the 1 as the A3, is turning out to be a fantastic value.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/04/v...0-from-22-700/

Keep in mind there's a chance that this thing will outrun a 128i in a strait line.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

While styling falls well short of breathtaking, I've looked at the specs and it appears to be a good deal. As usual, I think Volvo will appeal to the sensible school teachers among us car nuts, but will not inspire the passionate following I think the BMW will. I think the Audi will fall nicely between the 1er and the C30 in just about every aspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
While styling falls well short of breathtaking, I've looked at the specs and it appears to be a good deal. As usual, I think Volvo will appeal to the sensible school teachers among us car nuts, but will not inspire the passionate following I think the BMW will. I think the Audi will fall nicely between the 1er and the C30 in just about every aspect.

I've read some early reviews that the C30 is definitely not a blast to drive- suffering from the typical fwd maladies. Somehow the A3 (2.0) doesn't have those problems.
But, March sales of the A3 are in the tank...Just released figures >

( Official Audi Sales 2007 Year-To-Date) A3: 1,488 (-36.6% )

I hope that Audi N/A faces the reality that the car is way overpriced and poorly marketed.
It's almost as if Audi has written the car off in N/A while they roll in the profits from the Q7.
Once the Volvo C30 is available I think we'll see a lot of them.
And I agree- the 1-er is (will be) the champ in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

I agree with you guys that the C30 is not quite up there with the small Bimmer in terms of desirablity, and of course in terms of absolute performance with the possible exception of acceleration.

But as Brookside points out, A3 is tanking. It's been tanking for a few months now IIRC. The biggest reason is probably that it is overpriced, especially the V6 model. VAG group has a tendency to price their 4 pot turbo models quite competitively, but then try to butt rape people with their V6 models. Unavailability of Quattro on 2.0T is also a big let down that makes the car an overpriced GTI and nothing more.

Still, I am impressed at the pricing of the C30, and I'm sure their decision to go as low as they did is not irrelevant to the A3's (EDIT: at least partial) failure. Now if BMW comes up with the 128i, which is not much more powerful than this Volvo, and price it something like $7K above it, with all the emotional appeal it has, I am not sure it will do much better than the A3.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
Brookside
Major
Rep

That's exactly it...pricing is going to be a deal-maker or breaker on the "1".

BMW dealers, usually, have much more financial wiggle-room than similarly priced Audi models. And Audi N/A is just out-of-it in terms of turning things around in a timely manner....
assuming they are nimble enuff to know they are getting their butts kicked.

For an example I can lease a new BMW 3.0 Z4 w. sportpkg and goodies msrp-ing a tad under $40k for $425 a month w. $2500 down.
This is a by-the-book deal that is out there now-available to virtually anyone.

Same money down on an Audi A3 2.0 w. DSG msrp-ing for $32k, the deal comes in @ $429 a month...typical 36mo/10,000 miles per-year.

Both these deals are recent- negotiated within the last week.

It's comparisons like these, that all shoppers go through, that leads potential buyers to conclude that Audi really doesn't want your business
unless you're willing to suck it up and get the car because you love it.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Today's quotes :

""An Instantly recognisable identity of a successful history."

"Simplicity without distraction"

And since it is Easter , An extra special Something to help with all that chocolate!

" Where Efficient Dynamics engages with driving desire"

In which we talk about - 50:50 weight distribution, intelligent lightweight design with modern energy management, aluminium suspension and front axle, enhanced agility, steering and road handling...

Which will enable the 1er Coupe to do this...
carspynews.com | BMW 1-series Coupe

The new BMW 1er Coupe.
Emotional Response.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Today's quotes :

""An Instantly recognisable identity of a successful history."

"Simplicity without distraction"

And since it is Easter , An extra special Something to help with all that chocolate!

" Where Efficient Dynamics engages with driving desire"

In which we talk about - 50:50 weight distribution, intelligent lightweight design with modern energy management, aluminium suspension and front axle, enhanced agility, steering and road handling...

Which will enable the 1er Coupe to do this...
carspynews.com | BMW 1-series Coupe

The new BMW 1er Coupe.
Emotional Response.

Amazing pics i havent seen before!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
PACIFICONE2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thank you Scott for these new photo's......a nice suprise for my Easter Basket!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #18
Brookside
Major
Rep

Still a lot of camo on the rear....so many sneak peaks.
It's the longest strip show in history.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #19
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Still a lot of camo on the rear....so many sneak peaks.
It's the longest strip show in history.
Do we really have another year to wait? Seriously, what's the best guess at availability of a 135i coupe in he US? I gotta start looking for a good home for my MINI.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #20
Brookside
Major
Rep

The 1-er debuts at the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show in September. At least that's the plan I've been hearing.
Whether it's the cabrio first or the coupe, or both, I'm not sure. I don't think anyone is.
It'll be sometime in 2008 when we see it in N/A. Maybe Harold or Freak can post a more accurate time-line if they know it.
One other thing we know for sure is that BMW is going to make a huge hoopla over the car.

We should be seeing images of the real thing- no camo- no spy shots-
any day now because the car is on a worldwide photoshoot. Someone is bound to leak the photos and they will most likely appear here as soon as they hit the web.
That's my gut-feeling.

Most of us who've been posting for awhile are in the same boat...we can't wait for the car to get here. And I think most of us will order the car within months of it's availabilty.
But it's sure screwed my plans up insofar as what I do until the thing gets here - a fever comes over me every 36 months broken only by the appearance of something different in my driveway.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #21
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Hey Brookside, i did the bmw test drive for breast cancer on monday and i drove a z4 3.0liter. the one with 215hp. I had a blast in that thing. I didnt notice that little sport button until half way through. I mean the car handles nicely, complaint over cobblestone and everything. I did notice that the car didnt have the sport seats which i believe would be more comfortable. what does that sport button do exactly?? i noticed the revs jumped. im not too keen on the styling but for 215hp that car was amazing. spy shots of the next-gen looks even cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
Brookside
Major
Rep

Sport Button opens the fuel-injector butterfly valves up- you get apprx. 10% more power. It works like crazy. You can feel it kick-in when you push it- and vice-versa.
I drive with it on almost always.
Sports seats are a different option.
Sports Pkg is one of the biggest bargains you can get-
different suspension settings (car sits lower) , upgraded wheel package, and of course the magic button.
Appreciate 0