BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Lead Foot
Registered
Rep
Drives:

"2 Series" Name Back & More - per Automotive News

(May 2007) BMW: 1-Series arrives in 2008 (Automotive News)
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. -- BMW's subcompact 1-Series will come to the United States next year, BMW of North America's top executive says. CEO Tom Purves says a two-door coupe will be on sale here in 2008.

He declined to give a timetable. He says BMW has never backed away from bringing the 1 series to the United States despite exchange rate pressure. The weak dollar relative to the euro forces European importers to choose between higher prices and lower margins. "We can deal with it," Purves says.
He would not deny that a convertible also will come to the United States.
For years, BMW would not say when it would launch the 1 series in the United States. A hatchback version went on sale in Europe in 2003. The five-door was freshened this year and shown at the Geneva auto show. The newest model features technologies such as regenerative braking and an automatic stop-start function that turns the engine off in situations such as red lights. Pricing isn't known, but the 1 series likely will start below the 3 series.

Background
Development of entry BMW continues; -referred to a 1-Series (in Europe) with launch delayed in the U.S. market. Note that BMW's naming scheme for the U.S. has not been confirmed. Reports indicate that the new entry is being developed in sedan form (expected to be called 1-Series); with coupe and convertible bodystyles also being developed. Note that the coupe and convertible may be called 2-Series in the U.S. After its divestiture of Rover cars in March of 2000CY, BMW formally confirmed that it would develop its own line of cars, under the BMW badge, "for the upper end of the lower midsize segment". The car is positioned below the existing 3-Series Compact, and is priced lower. This new entry-level car for BMW, dubbed 1-series, will spawn a few body-style variants like its upper sibling 3-Series - it is intended to be a high volume seller in the sub-luxury class, aimed at high-selling Audi A3. At 4.23m, the 1-Series is 24 centimeters shorter than the 3-Series. However a relatively long wheelbase of 2.66m is required due to the longitudinal engine, rear drive setup. Although the wheelbase 1-Series is 8cm longer than the front-drive, transverse-engined Volkswagen Golf, rear passenger space is limited. Overall width is 1.75m and overall height is 1.42m.

The 1-Series is aimed at a younger demographic seeking an upscale premium car, who are new to the BMW brand. The 1-Series 5D hatchback (E87) debuted at the 2004 Paris Motor Show and went on sale in September 2004CY. Following up the 5D Hatchback is a sporty 3D Hatchback model (E81), due in the 3rd Quarter of 2006CY for the European market.

BMW originally backed away from a firm commitment to launch the 1-Series in the important U.S. market. Due to the strength of the EURO against the U.S. dollar, BMW's already thin margins on the 1-Series were seriously eroded in market projections. As a result, BMW originally chose to take a "wait and see" approach with the U.S. market. Originally, BMW had looked at a version of the European market 5D Hatchback for the U.S. market, but the plan was quickly shot down, as BMW has not had a good history with hatchback models (specifically the old 3-Series Compact hatch). A Sedan variant was in early development as the launch model for the U.S. market (where sedans are more popular than hatchbacks) - however BMW of North America wants all 1-Series and 1-Series derived vehicles for the U.S. market to be equipped with 6-cylinder powerplants. The Sedan was slated to join the 1-Series lineup in the 3rd Quarter of 2007CY in the European market, and following in the 4th Quarter for the U.S. Market. The Sedan version is hardly as important as the hatchbacks in Europe, and was not expected to generate large European sales. The Sedan was largely aimed at the U.S. market, where hatchbacks are low in popularity. As originally conceived, the 1-Series Sedan would actually be longer, and have a slightly longer wheelbase than its hatchback siblings. This slight increase in size was mainly aimed at the U.S. market consumer, who generally expects better legroom and overall interior space.

However in Summer of 2005CY, BMW underwent a major strategy change, canceling plans for the Sedan and a Wagon model (based on the same larger wheelbase of the Sedan) that was also under early development. Numerous factors went into this decision. The major factor was that BMW felt that the larger size of the Sedan and Wagon could impact sales of the larger 3-Series Sedan and Wagon models - this was a concern shared by both BMW's North American Sales arm, as well as headquarters in Germany. In addition, a 1-Series Sedan was not seen as having strong sales potential in the European market, where small hatchbacks are significantly more popular.

BMW will continue to focus on development of a Coupe model (E82) as well as a Convertible (E88) that are both based on the 1-Series platform and mechanicals. In addition, an on-again, off-again strategy to rename the Coupe and Convertible models “2-Series” is now on-again.

Part of the strategy with the naming of the models is to appeal to the deep heritage and popularity of the old BMW 2002 model 2 door models, particularly in the U.S. market. BMW believes that tapping this vein of popularity will help ensure a strong launch for an all-new smaller 2-Series range in the U.S. market.
In addition, BMW was encouraged by the strong launch of the higher-end BMW 6-Series Coupe and Convertible models, and wishes to replicate the success in a smaller, lower priced model. Styling of both the Coupe and Convertible models were largely previewed by the BMW CS1 Convertible Concept that was first shown at the 2002 Geneva Motor Show. BMW’s “flame surfacing” theme, with concave and convex lines merging to produce a unique surface effect carries over to the 2-Series. In fact sources indicate that the front end of the Production version is little-changed, except for smaller, more stylistically rendered headlamps, and a flatter BMW kidney grille. The rear end is largely unchanged from the concept.

In a shift of strategy, BMW will first launch the Convertible model first in the late Q1 2008CY, for the 2008MY in the U.S. Market, followed by the Coupe a few months later. The Convertible will feature a powered retractable cloth top. A folding hard top was initially investigated, but was quickly abandoned, due to cost and weight issues. The 2-Series will share powertrains with the European Market 1-Series range. The lineup will include a Valvetronic 24V Inline 6-cylinder powerplant that produces 265hp. Several months after launch, BMW will expand its petrol engine lineup at the top end with the addition of a Twin-Turbocharged 3.0L Direct Injection Inline 6-cylinder petrol powerplant. Although the same engine is also found in the 3-Series 335i model (producing 306PS), the engine in the 1-Series will reportedly be detuned to about 290PS. The engine features BMW's Piezo Petrol Direct Injection technology. BMW's long-rumored ZSG double-clutch transmission (similar to the Volkswagen group's DSG in operation), is likely to be optionally available with this engine as well.

All models will come with Dynamic Stability Control with Dynamic Traction Control, 6 airbags, Brake Force Display function for tail lamps, and run-flat tires with Tire Puncture Warning System. Similar to the facelifted 1-Series, the new 2-Series makes use of 3 major fuel saving technologies. The first is Brake Energy Regeneration (iGR), which utilizes an Intelligent Alternator Control (IAC) and an Absorbent Glass Mat battery to recycle energy that was previously lost by the vehicle’s rolling wheels. The IAC reduces drag on the engine by engaging only when required to charge the battery – conventional alternators always draw power from the engine. The battery also charges on situations of engine over-run, such as under-braking or descending a hill. BMW claims a 3% fuel savings with iGR. The second system is an Automatic Start-Stop function, which is standard on most manual transmission models. The Start-Stop function automatically turns the engine off when the vehicle is stationary and the driver puts the car in neutral. When the clutch is engaged, the engine restarts. The function can also be manually switched off by the driver.

The third system is Electric Power Steering, which utilizes an electric motor to provide power assistance. BMW claims a 90% energy savings vs. a conventional mechanical hydraulic steering system. The 2-Series suspension setup is shared with the 1-Series, including an aluminum front axle setup with McPherson struts, and a 5-link rear independent suspension. Typical BMW systems, such as Dynamic Stability Control, Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Brake Control and Electronic Differential Lock are expected to be standard equipment. The 2-Series will include front, front-side and side curtain airbag systems. The 2-Series' interior is largely expected to mimic that of the 1-Series, including a push button starter, and a spartan front dash layout, with seating capacity for 4 people. The iDrive knob-based controller system will be offered, as will be a Navigation system with pop up LCD color screen. Other equipment will include Sport Seats with width adjustment, Bluetooth capability, front & rear parking assist, and Bi-Xenon headlamps. An optional Keyless entry card system and a voice-activated radio and navigation system will also be available.

Inside, the 2-Series will also feature MP3 and USB stick compatibility, with audio tracks selectable by steering wheel controls or the iDrive system. The optional Adaptive Headlights have been improved with the addition of 2 cornering lights that illuminate the direction of travel between 22 and 40 mph.

The 2-Series Coupe follows in the late Q2 of 2008CY, (2008MY). Engines will be shared with the Convertible model. As with the 1-Series, BMW plants to offer M-powered versions of the 2-Series range. For the 2-Series models, the M-versions are slated for the 1st Quarter of 2009CY (for the 2009MY). BMW’s original plan was to introduce an M-powered 2-Series with an Inline 6-Cylinder powerplant producing about 240PS. However, with the onslaught of high powered models such as Volkswagen’s R32 and upcoming R36 Golf models, BMW has readjusted their plan. BMW is currently developing a new version of the 3.0L Inline 6-Cylinder powerplant, that is currently testing in ranges from 315-345 HP.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

That's interesting about the name and all that, but if I'm reading the article correctly, it sounds like if one were to purchase an M-powered 2 series, and then mash down on the gas pedal, You'd most certianly haul ass.

Any news on the new double clutch gearbox showing up in the coupe and convertible?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
PACIFICONE2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

I guess we are back to 2addicts.com?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Talking

Have my BMW Neue Automobile Produktargumentation for the Coupe.

A Munich City drive is penciled in for Sunday. We are coming closer...

"Everything has transpired as I have forseen....." :biggrin:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm going nuts over here...so the PR or offiicial pics will be released on Sunday???
      06-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I'm going nuts over here...so the PR or offiicial pics will be released on Sunday???

yeah me too. now i'm praying for Sunday
      06-02-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Some of this info seems to be incorrect, like the name and launch dates for the coupe and convertable. Scott, can you confirm?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
Some of this info seems to be incorrect, like the name and launch dates for the coupe and convertable. Scott, can you confirm?
In discussion with some co-workers today, this came up. They are sticking to the information (One of the them is set on a convertible...) but every piece of information besides this one states the drop top will come after. Also, it mentions the N54 won't be available for a few months after launch?

Scott, we need some feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #9
superlight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 4runner

BMW has never to my knowledge released a convertible before a coupe. Please do not start now. Looking forward to a BMW 2 Coupe, 6MT, sport package, 265 hp!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
BMW has never to my knowledge released a convertible before a coupe. Please do not start now. Looking forward to a BMW 2 Coupe, 6MT, sport package, 265 hp!
To each his own, I'd rather have a convertible with the new dual clutch ZSG gearbox, bluetooth, xenon headlights with cornering lights, and the new fuel saving technologies. I've been driving manual 3 series for many years, and its time to give the manual transmission a rest, especially since modern technology has obsoleted it.

I will point out that the article does not clearly state (to my satisfaction) that the inline 6 will be getting the Bosch stop/start system. I suppose that is another detail we'll have to wait and see.

If you think about all the spy photos and video over the painfully long wait these past couple of years, the convertible seemed to appear earlier than the coupe, indicating that it was farther ahead in the production process.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Interesting article.

But it states that the 1 series went on sale in Europe in 2003, which is incorrect. It then contradicts itself and correctly says that the 1 debuted in 2004.

It also says that the 3 door is "due in the 3rd Quarter of 2006CY for the European market", even though the article is dated May 2007. I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps I'm just confused, but it sounds strange to me.

At the end it also claims that the original plan was to make an M2 with 240HP inline six. This has to be a typo since the 260HP 130i came out in 2005.

Overall, a lot of details, but I don't feel very confident about the info presented.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
I don't care which version gets lauched three months early. As long as we get the 6MT, sport package, 265 hp coupe! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

This convoluted report, full of errors, exposes serious marketing lapses at BMW

This report of yet another BMW "strategy shift" highlights that BMW marketing people don't really have a clue. More than three years ago there was reportedly a big internal back-and-forth discussion regarding whether the new 3-series should have a ragtop or a folding hardtop. Purportedly management had decided on a ragtop, which was the route Audi pursued. Yet obviously they must have changed their mind again, as the folding hardtop has been in production for a year already. And indeed, a folding hardtop isn't anything special anymore, and just about every other car brand even beat BMW to it.

And now it seems they're having second thoughts about the name for the new E82 and E88. From a marketing perspective, particularly with regard to the American context, referring to these new cars as merely a 1-series is really a bad idea. Regardless of alleged European preferences for a hatchback (which may not even be true for the BMW brand in the first place), the fact is that BMW's hatchbacks have not been a huge success in Europe, due in great part to their awkward styling. The German motoring press has stated this repeatedly in various remarks, and BMW has obviously had to acknowledge this with a face-lift, coming much earlier than is customary. Releasing this kind of car in the competive American market was correctly seen as too risky and could have led to a loss of brand image or perception. Since this 5-door or 3-door BMW is obviously not sufficiently sophisticated for the American market, it thus gets relegated to the same general category shared by other cars not good enough enough for America, with names like Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Peugeot, Renault, Citroën, Skoda, and Seat, none of which sell in the US. Going on to directly link or associate the E82 and E88 models with a vehicle that is perceived by American car connoisseurs (to whom these new models are primarily supposed to be targeted to) as second-rate, or a likely failure, just doesn't make good sense and explains why this forum has the number 2 associated with it. This 1-or-2 naming debacle is also a classic case of the producer being too arrogant or out of touch with their most dedicated customer base. Yes, this can happen at BMW too.

The notion of offering yet another de-tuned engine is also not very encouraging. Certainly the air intake could be increased (if that's even the source of the issue) to offer the same 306 horsepower as the 335i. I believe the reason the direct injection 3 liter engine won't have 272 horsepower, as is the case in Germany, lies in the fact that this degree of performance requires sulphur-free gasoline, which apparently isn't common in the US.

The best news, in my opinion, is the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
BMW is currently developing a new version of the 3.0L Inline 6-Cylinder powerplant, that is currently testing in ranges from 315-345 HP.
Since BMW has stated that the "optimum" displacement for engines is half a liter per cylinder (one beer or a mini water bottle), I fully expected that the replacement for the 3.2 liter cast iron engine of the M3 during the past few years would be a more sophisticated 3 liter concoction. This is what I would like to know more about. For instance, will it definitely be normally aspirated, perhaps with titanium pistons and connecting rods and high bore-to-stroke ratio for high RPM, or might it possibly be a combination of both compressor and turbocharging, as is the case with the highly acclaimed 1.4 liter gasoline engine by Volkswagen? Or possibly even a two-stage compressor with double turbo?

With all the features being mentioned in the report (Adaptive Headlights, Electric Power Steering, Dynamic Stability Control, Dynamic Traction Control, Dynamic Brake Control, Electronic Differential Lock, Regenerative Braking, Engine Shutoff in Neutral, etc.) it's almost surprising they didn't also throw in the Active Roll Control. I don't know how much extra weight this entails, but I tried out this option years ago in the 5-series and liked it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Why spend millions devleoping new engine, factory tune 3.0TT and call it a day.. Also wondering how easy it will be to retune detuned 135 engine tio 335 levels.. Hopefully it will be detuned on paper only..
Bring 135 3 door hatch to US please.. looks grim though..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
danp
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Interesting article.

But it states that the 1 series went on sale in Europe in 2003, which is incorrect. It then contradicts itself and correctly says that the 1 debuted in 2004.

It also says that the 3 door is "due in the 3rd Quarter of 2006CY for the European market", even though the article is dated May 2007. I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps I'm just confused, but it sounds strange to me.

At the end it also claims that the original plan was to make an M2 with 240HP inline six. This has to be a typo since the 260HP 130i came out in 2005.

Overall, a lot of details, but I don't feel very confident about the info presented.
Exactly, I read the article and noticed the same errors, so must assume it's nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

There are many inaccuracies in that report , many that can be singled out.
Most important is the name - unless the US division are wanting to call their cars "2" But I have not heard anything regarding this as Both Coupe and Cabrio models I have seen are badged as "1".

As the Coupe will be the performance variant of the 1er.
The range starts with four cylinder (In Europe) and ends with Six-Cylinder . The M model will be a six cylinder because using a four cylinder (Although plans for such an engine exist) will not exactly work from a marketing point of view.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep

Is it just me, or is it taking an absurd amount of time to develop these little cars and get them into production?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #18
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
. The 2-Series will share powertrains with the European Market 1-Series range. The lineup will include a Valvetronic 24V Inline 6-cylinder powerplant that produces 265hp. Several months after launch, BMW will expand its petrol engine lineup at the top end with the addition of a Twin-Turbocharged 3.0L Direct Injection Inline 6-cylinder petrol powerplant. Although the same engine is also found in the 3-Series 335i model (producing 306PS), the engine in the 1-Series will reportedly be detuned to about 290PS. As with the 1-Series, BMW plants to offer M-powered versions of the 2-Series range. For the 2-Series models, the M-versions are slated for the 1st Quarter of 2009CY (for the 2009MY).. BMW is currently developing a new version of the 3.0L Inline 6-Cylinder powerplant, that is currently testing in ranges from 315-345 HP.
doesn't seem to make sense that there would be a 135/235 putting out 300hp/300ft-lbs. and have M versions only putting out 315-345hp/230 or so ft-lbs. granted the M cars will have an overall different feel with their high-revvability, lsd etc. but to be so out-torqued by the lesser model just baffles me. i was hoping that if they go normally aspirated in the M that at least they would get a bump in displacement to add some torque, why not a 3.6ltr v8?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

BMW's M division has stated in the past that they would never use turbos or superchargers on any M car. Of course, as competition continues to get stronger that may have to change.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #20
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Thats why M5/m6 MIGHT get their doors blown off by new CTS-V. Latest news/rumors from Motor Trend say CTV-V getting Supercharged 6.2 V8 good for 600hp. I I bet Supercharged torque will be in that area (600+) also.. BMW better start thinking fast.. I know its more about balance, handling, etc, but E46 M3 getting its doors blown off by $35k STi with stage 2 or EVO should make them think again.. AMGs strong side was great down low torque..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
BMW's M division has stated in the past that they would never use turbos or superchargers on any M car. Of course, as competition continues to get stronger that may have to change.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #21
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Thats why M5/m6 MIGHT get their doors blown off by new CTS-V. Latest news/rumors from Motor Trend say CTV-V getting Supercharged 6.2 V8 good for 600hp. I I bet Supercharged torque will be in that area (600+) also.. BMW better start thinking fast.. I know its more about balance, handling, etc, but E46 M3 getting its doors blown off by $35k STi with stage 2 or EVO should make them think again.. AMGs strong side was great down low torque..
Too bad the chasis and handling wont be able to match it. Silly GM, they havent learn anything yet.
      06-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Maybe u r right, but I think u r wrong, GM is using a new sigma platform I think.. It has been handling al their GM australia 600hp cars for a while..
Back on topic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Too bad the chasis and handling wont be able to match it. Silly GM, they havent learn anything yet.
Appreciate 0