E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Emissions fail - all systems READY but throwing P2418 code

07-27-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
safzal433
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Emissions fail - all systems READY but throwing P2418 code

Took my '07 335xi for emissions the other day and failed. All systems passed but there was a P2418 trouble code (EVAP Switching Valve Control Circuit/Open) with the MIL (check engine light) ON. This was a surprise to me as I hadn't seen a check engine light for months. Got home and my wife told me that the CEL came on for a bit earlier that day, but it was gone by the time I drove it.

Later that day after some hard acceleration, CEL came on but disappeared after I restarted the car. This has happened multiple times in the past, maybe a boost leak? Will also be checking the charge pipe tomorrow. Not sure if this CEL is related the other one - wife said she didn't accelerate hard before getting it. Don't think that would cause a P2418 anyway, but strange that in both cases the CEL disappears next time the car starts.

Found this awesome post about a wire related to the evap valve chafing against the wheel well commonly causing this code. Checked that wire and noticed that there was some wear, but as far as I can tell, it only got through the black sleeve and exposed the green insulation and didn't go through to the metal, but will take the wheel off tomorrow to confirm.

Anyway, my question is this: assuming that the issue is just that wire and I fix it and the CEL stays gone, what do I have to do before retaking the emissions test? All systems are already ready so I don't think I'd have to go through the drive cycles, would I? For that matter, since the CEL doesn't persist after the car turns off, can I just go in without even worrying about that wire right now? Of course I waited til the very last week to get emissions tested and I'm running out of time.

Also setting up ISTA+ and INPA to hopefully get some more details.

TIA
Appreciate 0