BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

2nd thoughts...

So as I said before I am already in the ordering process for my 135i. Got a couple ?'s answered, changed a few things and know its coming in at a lil under 46K Euro up from 44 and some change. Now that I've had a day or 2 to mull it over, I have to say I'm a lil hesitant now. Not at the price, but at the value. Quick background, I'm a US expat recently relocated here on a 3 year contract. A car here is a TOTAL luxury, public transportation is cheap and like most things German, extremely efficient and reliable.

I only want this car as an autobahn toy for when I went on driving trips, which would cut down on my usage of rental cars. Rentals are somewhat cheap here, and I only need 1 about 1 weekend a month so not much of a material offset or savings. I'm nervous about when it comes time to sell it, exactly how much will I have lost on a toy.

I was originally planning on not having a car here, travelling like a mad man and getting another 3 coupe when I return to the US (sold mine before I left) or an M3 coupe both through ED before I return to the US (easy to do when you travel back and forth for work). Now I'm really wondering if it makes sense to get this car and drop some decent coin on something that is simply just a toy. Cars have to be worse hobby to have for those on a budget. :biggrin: I could always get a used M3 here which would be just as much fun to play with for about 35K or what works out to be a almost the price of 1 used 1er hatch less. Please let me know your thoughts about pros and cons of:

1. Staus quo - No car
2. Used M3 now, or
3. new 135i in Dec.

Somebody talk me back into the 1er coupe. I think I've somehow managed to think myself out of it. Looking forward to your insights... :drinking:Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I dont think any of us can really talk you into something you REALLY dont want. Just think a second, which one of these would you enjoy the most? And there you go. The way I look at it is, you only live once. To be honest, I've talked myself out of the 135i a couple of times, but that only lasted...oh about 3 minutes...
      07-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I dont think any of us can really talk you into something you REALLY dont want. Just think a second, which one of these would you enjoy the most? And there you go. The way I look at it is, you only live once. To be honest, I've talked myself out of the 135i a couple of times, but that only lasted...oh about 3 minutes...
Thanks dude. Not looking to get talked in or out of it really, just some WWYD type answers. Having never driven the 135i, I don't have that emotional connection yet other than what I see on paper. 306 ponies and 9 inches shorter than the 3 coupe is like a dream come true though. Honestly years ago, I prayed for this engine, no bs, I literally and remembered almost sh!t!n my pants when I 1st saw they had made a turbo 6 and then yet another dump when I saw the increased weight and length.

But at the end of the day for me I will likely have to go back at some point and this Alice in wonderland dream will be over. I know I'll take the bigger capital hit over time with the 135 and I'm trying to justify taking it over something just as tossable, for 10K less. The big advantage I can think of with the 135 is, it wont get stale as far as tuning it goes. The M3 market is probably close to its ceiling now and the 135 market has only started scratching the surface. And that's half the fun of these great cars, making them your own.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

i would say my opinion is to wait until you return state-side; however 3 years is a bit of time...might still be worth it. that's a tough call.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

can t you buy it there and enjoy it 3 years then bring it back to the US ?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAM View Post
Not without changing a LOT on it, unless he was able to finagle a way to get a US spec car to begin with, which may not be possible without being in the Armed Services.

OP, don't be torn about a e46 M3 and a 135i, they are totally different beasts. On the other hand, if you are using no car as a third option, nothing any of us can say would know your situation better that you do.

Personally, I make sure I have a fun/fast car at my disposal every time I'm in Germany. I would certainly regret renting a Fiat Uno over a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAM View Post
Yeah, but would be making payments that would be due in Euro's in USD's. And the cars are more expensive here, significantly more.

Just thought of another advantage for the 135. If I decided M, I would get it now. Which also means monthly payments starting now. If I wait for the 135, that means monthly payments starting in Jan 08. That's a 5 month savings. But still means I have to wait some months and summer is the best time to drive/travel here.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

The practical side of me says to continue to do what you have been doing, mass trans. and renting when needed. Prior returning to the states do a ED on whatever sparks your interest. 3 years from now there might be something else other than the 135i. :iono:

Toys are nice, but usually they do not get used frequently due to the lack of time to play with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Hey Maximus, you don't fall under the SOFA at all do you? If so, I'd recommend waiting until the US model is released and then getting it through Military Sales. That way you have the option to bring it back with you.
As far as buying a EU model and importing it, the simple answer is, you can't do it, I've tried While it's possible to do so for certain models, if there isn't a "mechanically similar" US version (and Customs has a list), it's nowhere near worth it. PLUS, alot of people think you can just have the DOT approved parts installed (i.e. windshield, lights, etc.) but in order for it pass customs the work has to be done by an authorized importer... in the States :frown: And you're on the hook for all $$ involved and there still isn't any guarantee that the car will pass :frown:

Anyway, I only bring it up because my '01 A3 was EU spec and I tried like HELL to bring it over... without any luck

I know that didn't help much, but I tried

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

Get the car and make regular trips to the Nurburgring for "testing".
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Not in the military, so no Military Sales option for me, although that would be lovely.

'No car' is really no option, so scratch that. I want a toy and that's why I even started looking again. I grew up dreaming of the autobahn, no way I'm not going to take FULL advantage of that.

I REALLY want the 135, but since I'm so d@mn anal, I struggling to justify the price difference over a used E46 M3. My mind is telling me the driving experience, although different, will be as good if not better in the 135. But how much better?? If I were keeping a car here long term, NO decision, AW 135i!!!! This is really killin me. I should be doing work right now, but I can't concentrate at all. :biggrin: I already started putting together pros and cons of each car.. I think I need mental
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #12
Spoonie
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X MR

Used E46 M3? To each his own but I would never consider a 5 year-old design as my "new" car. Maybe as a second car but not a new one. As nice as the E46 M3 was/is, the car is yesterday's news. The 135 is tomorrow's news. Choose wisely
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Things will be much more clear once you drive the 135i. As of now, we are assuming that an E46 M3 would be more fun to drive. I really couldnt make a decision on a car I havent driven but once you do, you will know what you will want to do. Personally, the prospect of a used M car is unappealing to me but that is just me...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Why don't you cut down on the options as a compromise? If it's going to be a autobahn toy that will be used one weekend a month, you probably don't need anything not related to performance. IIRC I think you had a few bits of options that pushed the price upwards of 45K euros. IMO cars are bad investments, and car options are even worse. Optioned out cars tend to sell quicker in the used car market, but the actual selling price seldom comes anywhere close to accounting for the money spent on those options.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I hear ya man. I really do.

Sometimes I admire these folks who can go do something like buy a new car without looking back even the tiniest bit, or having any sort of second thoughts. I have a feeling we are a lot alike. Sometimes I wish I didn’t spend so much time analyzing things and thinking through the most “responsible” thing to do. But that’s who I am, so I gotta live with it.

Maybe this will illustrate what I wrestle with: Right now, my own version of MD’s dilemma is whether to buy a fully loaded Mazda3 Grand Touring or a 128i. That’s right, I said Mazda3 and I said 128i. So right there you know something’s not right with me. 90% of the folks on this forum are chomping at the bit for the 135i, but not me! My rationale goes like this: I’m not a big straightline speed or power guy. I want enough low-end grunt to give a good push in the back when accelerating out of turns, but my biggest priority is tossability. The tangible benefit I’m looking for in exchange for the money I spend on my next vehicle is smile-inducing handling. I’ve driven the E90 328i, and if the 128i handles anything like that, then I’ll be a very happy boy. Plus, the engine in the E90 was plenty powerful and torquey enough to satisfy me in that department, so it can only get better in the 128i, right?

Let me go a little further back. When the Mazdaspeed3 was announced, I was bound and determined to own one when they became available. But then I stumbled upon the 1-Series rumors. Hoping that the Mid- to High-$20s estimate for the “low-end” 1-Series rumors would pan out, I decided I should wait for the 1er. After all, who wouldn’t want a 6 cylinder, RWD Beemer for the same price as a hopped-up four cylinder, FWD Mazda? Not long after that, I was lucky enough to get a promotion at work, and I suddenly found myself among those able to afford a 328i. So I looked at them. And liked them a lot. But something kept bringing me back to the 1er. (as a side note – ever since the official photos of the 1er have been released, I find that I don’t really care for the 3er anymore. I’m actually very glad that I didn’t buy a 328i, as it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.) So, I decided that I’ll be buying a 128i as soon as they open the order books. Or so I thought…..

As I said before, I suffer from an affliction that causes me to have to be rational about everything. I started thinking through what it is I really do with the vehicle I drive. I drive back and forth to work. That’s it. 15 miles a day on arrow-straight Midwest streets and “highway” bypasses. Should I really spend $26K-$30K on a 128i when the chances to really use it in a way that would meaningfully differentiate it from an $18,000 (with S Plan pricing) Mazda3 Grand Touring are going to be few and far between? Like I said, it’s not about whether I can afford it. I can buy a $38,000 328i right now if I wanted to. But I just can’t stop wondering whether the 128i is going to give me $10,000 MORE enjoyment than a Mazda3 would driving back and forth to work. For right now, when I take EVERYTHING into consideration, that answer is still “yes”. I’m hoping I get the car ordered and into my garage before my brain finds some way to tell me the answer is “no”.

MD, have you ever considered the Mazdaspeed3? There’s some GREAT video of Mazda trying to beat the class record at the ‘Ring with the MS3. It can be seen here: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/16/m...d-at-the-ring/
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Hey Maximus, if you're just looking for a 'bahn brenner to play with, try checking AutoScout24.de for some used cars. I'm personally planning on looking for an 03 S3 or an 03/04 MKIV R32 when I go back :biggrin:

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #17
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Personally, I make sure I have a fun/fast car at my disposal every time I'm in Germany. I would certainly regret renting a Fiat Uno over a Z4.
LOL... Having a beater on the AutoBahn makes you wish that you had taken the train instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #18
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites View Post
I hear ya man. I really do.

Sometimes I admire these folks who can go do something like buy a new car without looking back even the tiniest bit, or having any sort of second thoughts. I have a feeling we are a lot alike. Sometimes I wish I didn’t spend so much time analyzing things and thinking through the most “responsible” thing to do. But that’s who I am, so I gotta live with it.

Maybe this will illustrate what I wrestle with: Right now, my own version of MD’s dilemma is whether to buy a fully loaded Mazda3 Grand Touring or a 128i. That’s right, I said Mazda3 and I said 128i. So right there you know something’s not right with me. 90% of the folks on this forum are chomping at the bit for the 135i, but not me! My rationale goes like this: I’m not a big straightline speed or power guy. I want enough low-end grunt to give a good push in the back when accelerating out of turns, but my biggest priority is tossability. The tangible benefit I’m looking for in exchange for the money I spend on my next vehicle is smile-inducing handling. I’ve driven the E90 328i, and if the 128i handles anything like that, then I’ll be a very happy boy. Plus, the engine in the E90 was plenty powerful and torquey enough to satisfy me in that department, so it can only get better in the 128i, right?

Let me go a little further back. When the Mazdaspeed3 was announced, I was bound and determined to own one when they became available. But then I stumbled upon the 1-Series rumors. Hoping that the Mid- to High-$20s estimate for the “low-end” 1-Series rumors would pan out, I decided I should wait for the 1er. After all, who wouldn’t want a 6 cylinder, RWD Beemer for the same price as a hopped-up four cylinder, FWD Mazda? Not long after that, I was lucky enough to get a promotion at work, and I suddenly found myself among those able to afford a 328i. So I looked at them. And liked them a lot. But something kept bringing me back to the 1er. (as a side note – ever since the official photos of the 1er have been released, I find that I don’t really care for the 3er anymore. I’m actually very glad that I didn’t buy a 328i, as it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.) So, I decided that I’ll be buying a 128i as soon as they open the order books. Or so I thought…..

As I said before, I suffer from an affliction that causes me to have to be rational about everything. I started thinking through what it is I really do with the vehicle I drive. I drive back and forth to work. That’s it. 15 miles a day on arrow-straight Midwest streets and “highway” bypasses. Should I really spend $26K-$30K on a 128i when the chances to really use it in a way that would meaningfully differentiate it from an $18,000 (with S Plan pricing) Mazda3 Grand Touring are going to be few and far between? Like I said, it’s not about whether I can afford it. I can buy a $38,000 328i right now if I wanted to. But I just can’t stop wondering whether the 128i is going to give me $10,000 MORE enjoyment than a Mazda3 would driving back and forth to work. For right now, when I take EVERYTHING into consideration, that answer is still “yes”. I’m hoping I get the car ordered and into my garage before my brain finds some way to tell me the answer is “no”.

MD, have you ever considered the Mazdaspeed3? There’s some GREAT video of Mazda trying to beat the class record at the ‘Ring with the MS3. It can be seen here: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/16/m...d-at-the-ring/
The Mazda3 is a great car and probably one of the best FWDs that I've driven. Except for the MazdaSpeed3 they are not particularly fast, but they are fun to drive.

Back on topic:

Unfortunately cars are not cheap and they are one of the worse investments out there (besides a boat). That said they are a very personal thing and there are as many opinions as there are people.

I think that it ultimately comes down to a value proposition. If money is no object then the sky is the limit and run don't walk to the nearest Ferrari dealer. Most of us however have to be a little more practical. I would be very tempted to either pickup a fun used car (there are a lot of great choices in Germany) and/or wait until just before I was leaving Germany and then do a ED 135i.

Just some thoughts. Good luck and enjoy the beer.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks every1. I swear the decision only gets harder the more I think about it. I really hate knowing as much as we do now and having to wait till the end of the year to have the car in your hand.

jrsites - As far as the 1 vs Mazda3 goes, here's my $.02 and this is coming from a lot of seat time in my ex-gf's 3. The 3 is a kick ass car, really surprised me. You're preaching to the choir on that car. But I'd get the 128i because as far as true cost to own which a lot of people just never consider and I will never understand why, the bm will be cheaper in the long run. Maintenance is included, and they hold their value like vise grips. Be aggressive in your 128i shopping and you can get a good deal. My last 2 cars, got for $500 over dealer invoice, or about $4-5k under MSRP, deals are there to be had if you're persistent enough. Here's the argument I always give them. Mention the lifetime value of a customer. You don't have to know what it is, trust me, they do.

Also you will enjoy the added refinement on your 128i on that same daily commute. That's coming from my Z to bm transition. Z great, bm could doing all the Z could do, but just do it in that bmw way that it is impossible to put into words. :wub:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Why not consider leasing?

For 3 years, very low miles, and no need to worry about reselling it when you leave Germany, I think leasing would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonie View Post
Used E46 M3? To each his own but I would never consider a 5 year-old design as my "new" car. Maybe as a second car but not a new one. As nice as the E46 M3 was/is, the car is yesterday's news. The 135 is tomorrow's news. Choose wisely
You are aware the 135 and the E46 share the same platform right? I think BMW disagrees with your E46 M3 is yesterday's news comment. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #22
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Hey Maximus, if you're just looking for a 'bahn brenner to play with, try checking AutoScout24.de for some used cars. I'm personally planning on looking for an 03 S3 or an 03/04 MKIV R32 when I go back :biggrin:
Dude I spent 1/2 my day on that stupid site today. Only made the decision harder. I love VW/Audi's, but I am in love with RWD. It's like "Hi my name is Maximus and I like to fish tail my car at like EVERY street corner possible and scare innocent pedestrians. Hello Max..." That's me at my Fishtail Anonymous meeting. If they Audi ever went RWD and pushed the motor back, they would get much more consideration from me.

Offtopic but related to VAG: I saw an S5 the other day, you want to talk about a car that is absolutely gorgeous!!! If I ever bought cars based solely on how it looks, that one would be hard to beat. I like the direction VAG is headed. You see the spy pics of the new Scirroco released today?
Appreciate 0