BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Personal 1 Series Review

I've never even seen a 1 series in person living here in the US, so I asked a fellow Porsche forum friend from Australia to share his view of his car (120i) to see what he thinks of it. He makes references to the 911, since he knows I have one (as does he).

Not posting this to be provocative, just hope this is useful info:

Hi Grant. Yep, I've got a 120i. So, a 2 litre normal petrol engine, in manual. The engine is smooth revving and quiet at cruising speed, but doesn't light a fire or anything like it. It's an honest and reasonably efficient engine. It does wind up well though on a long enough straight. But you'll be getting a different engine, so let me get to the chassis.

The steering is solid, dull and heavy - nothing like a 911. It makes the car feel much bigger. It's good on a straight line and at speed but I find it irritating as constant slight input is needed to keep the car going straight, but that fingertip input requires much heavier than 911 effort. It should be lighter just at the centre. Frankly, the steering is the biggest dissapointment with the car. It's sound, but just so dull, uninteresting and annoying. There's a whole lot of road effect imparted to the steering system, but little road feel transmitted to the steering wheel. Think of it this way - with a 911 you feel with you hands on the wheel what's happening to the tyres before or at the same time as the car is affected by what's happening to the tyres. This is wonderful. With my 120i, you sense that the is car being pulled this way or that, ducking and diving, before you get a clear signal in the steering wheel about what's happening. So it becomes a case of feeding in some adjustment and watching where the nose points to see if you got it right. Not good. But at high speed (100mph and up) this dullness in the steering pays off. It starts to work. Problem is, Germany is the only place people do those sorts of speeds for long.

Other things. The cabin is quiet like no other car I've owned. No squeaks, rattles of any kind. Windnoise is low. So its a good car for a long trip. The seats are good. The suspension is good around town and on a good highway (I have the factory lowered suspension - good value - not too hard at all), but, BUT, if there are bumps they are transmitted through the suspension to the chassis like the car is an excavator without suspension at all. There are bumps my 911 soaks up without a glitch that the BMW has my head hitting the roof (and we don't have a sunroof!). Sometimes I feel like one of those silly kids with the ultra lowered cars that you see bouncing around inside the cabin. Not what I was looking for.

The rear wheel drive is good. The steering is nicely unaffected by power steer. The car hangs on in corners like a terrier. Great road holding, despite the bumpiness. The stability system is intrusive compared with Porsche, but it's safe. The headlights are OK (bizenon), better than halogens, but a long way behind my 911's litronics. Big difference.

The car is safe, noting its small size. The brakes are f...ing brilliant and I like the airbag design. If you have kids they sit quiet some way in from the side doors so the curtain should have room to come down and protect them in a side on collision.

The boot is cleverly designed, not big but the four of us have managed with enough luggage for a 7 day visit to relatives.

Visibility out the sides and back is crap, but you gradually learn to deal with it. Maintenance has not been expensive - quite reasonable so far. Because we drive for 30-45 minutes each morning and night on cruising roads to work/school we got 40,000 kms (about 30,000 miles) before the first oil change!!!

If you buy one, negotiate the run flats away and put on some Michelin Pilot Preceda II. Excellent tyres. You'll notice a big improvement in comfort, steering accuracy, quietness, everything, except runflat-ability. So buy a can of inflating goop!

Overall, despite my nagging disatisfaction with the steering and suspension bouncing, I'm reasonably happy. I bought it as a high mileage daily driver and occasional long distance cruiser and it has performed very well in that role. I feel like my family is in the safest car in its class, that is still good to drive, and that looks good, so I'm happy overall.

A more powerful engine would be nice, but I'm not sure this car is really set up for performance oriented driving. The brakes are far softer feeling and power assisted than Porsche, so much so that ankle rolling to throttle blip while braking is impossible. Just impossible - give up on the idea. Also, for emissions reasons, the throttle just wont blip while the clutch is down. "Vy vould you vont to do dis?" And, because the throttle is highly detuned when your foot is on the clutch, getting the car going in first is tricky. And this reminds me of another gripe I have - the car does not give complete control to the driver. There's this throttle thing, where the throttle is just dead when the clutch is in. Then, you have to press the button on the remote twice to open the passenger doors or the trunk lid. There's other things that I can't remember just now, but they give me the shits when they happen.

But overall, I'm happy. Despite its irritating aspects, it delivers on what we wanted in the main. Safe, quiet, economical, comfortable. Oh, good sound system - we got the sound package with the 10 speakers, some under the front seats.

If I was looking for a car that delivered in terms of power, road feel through the steering, brilliant suspension, then the 120i would fail. But I've got my 911 for that!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Hi Grant,

Some questions:

Your 120i is a coupe or hatch?

What kind of tires do you have on the car? 17? 18? Are they performance tires? If not do you think they could have contributed the dullness?

Is the M-suspension the same as your factory lowered suspension? If you can and won't mind, can you test drive the one with M suspension for us? (Wait how did you get your hands on a 120i while living in denver?)

One last question, have you test drove a 335i?

Thanks for the inputs! I think you have been spoiled with them 911s ;-)
      07-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi Robert - It's not my review (I'm the one who has never seen a 1 Series), but it's the review by an Australian friend. He has a hatch (not sure if 3 or 5 doors). He has sport suspension, but I'm sure the 120i doesn't have 18's. Probably 17's at most. But, he has replaced the runflats with something better.

I think his criticisms of the steering have little to do with the suspension or wheels/tires, but more with the electric power steering. Hopefully, BMW will improve that system for the 135i (I've heard they intend to revise it).

BMW obviously doesn't think the electric power steering is appropriate for its most sporting models, as all the M cars use hydraulic power steering...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Hi Robert - It's not my review (I'm the one who has never seen a 1 Series), but it's the review by an Australian friend. He has a hatch (not sure if 3 or 5 doors). He has sport suspension, but I'm sure the 120i doesn't have 18's. Probably 17's at most. But, he has replaced the runflats with something better.

I think his criticisms of the steering have little to do with the suspension or wheels/tires, but more with the electric power steering. Hopefully, BMW will improve that system for the 135i (I've heard they intend to revise it).

BMW obviously doesn't think the electric power steering is appropriate for its most sporting models, as all the M cars use hydraulic power steering...
Ahhh cool. I have high expectation for this car but if it fails to deliver I will be devastated :frown:

How much is upkeep on a 96 911?
      07-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #5
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Ahhh cool. I have high expectation for this car but if it fails to deliver I will be devastated :frown:

How much is upkeep on a 96 911?
Yeah, I have high hopes for it too. I hope I am not being too seduced by the awesome motor and giving up too much in the steering department. Great steering is something you really miss once you're used to it.

The 96 911 is quite reliable, but parts are pricey (not too different from BMW). It's a very nice car though. I'm actually considering selling it with the possible replacement being the 135i (deposit in). Can't decide what to do:iono:

Here's a photo (it's a looker for sure)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

That was a spot on perfect review - absolutely a ton of good information and all areas I'm concerned about. Steering seems to be the weak link - but I wonder if it would improve (feel that is) with ditching the run flats, your pal alludes to that in the write-up.

Grant, thank you and big thanks to your buddy!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Also, for emissions reasons, the throttle just wont blip while the clutch is down. "Vy vould you vont to do dis?" ........There's this throttle thing, where the throttle is just dead when the clutch is in.
wh, wh, WHAT?! BMW trying to discourage heel and toeing? That's an outrage! Eh, I can double clutch heel and toe pretty well also, and I'm getting better.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

A big part of the review went into dissatisfaction with steering feel. I wonder if this guy had the electromechanical power steering or conventional hydraulic with an engine driven pump?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
afb
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Also, for emissions reasons, the throttle just wont blip while the clutch is down. "Vy vould you vont to do dis?"

And, because the throttle is highly detuned when your foot is on the clutch, getting the car going in first is tricky.

There's this throttle thing, where the throttle is just dead when the clutch is in.
what's this all about? does that mean no rev-matching?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
A big part of the review went into dissatisfaction with steering feel. I wonder if this guy had the electromechanical power steering or conventional hydraulic with an engine driven pump?
Fairly certain he has the electric one.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb View Post
Yes, that's what it means, but it's also possible that BMW could fix this rather easily (software mod). I hope they do!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
woj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Good write up. This explains why EVO and CAR have never had any glowing comments about the car.
If you look at an article that was at the Car Lounge last year reviewing their driving experiences when comparing the new GTI, A3 and 130i, the comments appear to be consistent.
We all hope that BMW has more in mind that a body makeover, or else the new vehicle will be a dud for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Grant-
Telly your buddy thanks for the great review. I know how much I loved the steering input from my E30M3, so we will have to see how the 1er compares.

With BMW touting the 1er as the drivers car, like its 2002 predecessor, I would find in hard to believe that they would not revise the rev-matching issue and steering. Maybe seeing as though this car will have the larger motor options and almost M-car qualities it will be a bit more driver focused. I am wondering if the 120 was set up to be more of a general daily driver and not the sporting version? Just my .02 worth.
      07-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
Good write up. This explains why EVO and CAR have never had any glowing comments about the car.
If you look at an article that was at the Car Lounge last year reviewing their driving experiences when comparing the new GTI, A3 and 130i, the comments appear to be consistent.
We all hope that BMW has more in mind that a body makeover, or else the new vehicle will be a dud for them.
That's why the 1 Series won an evo comparison test against the Audi S3, Mazda3 MPS and Alfa Romeo Brera... :wink:

Also, keep in mind that the Coupe chassis will be of a completely different tune than the hatch. So impressions on the hatch really dont apply to the coupe at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
Ylegreg
Registered
Rep
Drives:

some notes

Hi,

I have a 120d from 2004 with almost 100.000 km. It is true that the steering is heavy. Exceptionally if compared to an Audi for instance. But it works wonderfully, you'll soon learn to appreciate it under pressure (and by that I do not necessarily mean high speeds . Having said that, I have tried the 130i. This one had a slighly fatter steering wheel (it feels smaller in diameter) and it feels much heavier, almost on the constant-attention-needed side. I think that different models, at least here in europe (I live in Italy), the sportier models get different steering setups.

The electric steering had been only recently introduced (my 2007/08) together with start-stop systems and other energy saving features. All these things became available on the 3 door model which came out with the 5 door model restyling.

I also have the lowered suspension setup whit 16 inch wheels. A good compromise with more forgiveness from the higher tire wall (less sudden reactions) toghether with a very sure footed behaviour. Having tried some very basic courtesy cars, I can say that the steering setup is in some whay linked to that option (little heavier with more feel).

Also, at least here, there are 16, 17, 18 inch wheels available for both the 3 and the 5 door hatches (the 18 is an option for the 130i).

One last thing: the restyling is a big step ahead as far as quality is concerned. The whole thing just feels more solid

Ciao!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Grant, your friend has the 5 door has the 3 door doesn't exist here. I think a 130i would be a much better gauge of the 135i, as the 130i in Australia only comes in the M sport guise. I have driven the 130i and it handles really well. Ride is very stiff though with the run flats and the 18's.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Not necessarily, if this is the case, you should still be able to rev match by double clutching (double de-clutching, if you want to use the technically correct term). A little trickier, but an added benefit is that done correctly, it produces far less to no wear on the synchros. Remember though, the review was of the 120i. I don't think BMW would have this "feature" on a more performance oriented six cylinder model. That is, I sure hope they wouldn't. :iono: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_declutch
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #18
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
. . . (t)he brakes are far softer feeling and power assisted than Porsche, so much so that ankle rolling to throttle blip while braking is impossible. Just impossible - give up on the idea. Also, for emissions reasons, the throttle just wont blip while the clutch is down . . .
Looks like EffecientDynamics strike!! :wink: Remember this thing uses 'throttle-by-wire', the accelerator pedal is just a rheostat that sends desired throttle opening to the ECU. I suspect what's going on is that the ECU has been tuned specifically to return maximum economy which means [best Homer Simpson voice] clutch goes in - throttle goes off [/best Homer Simpson voice].
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Grant, your friend has the 5 door has the 3 door doesn't exist here. I think a 130i would be a much better gauge of the 135i, as the 130i in Australia only comes in the M sport guise. I have driven the 130i and it handles really well. Ride is very stiff though with the run flats and the 18's.
Hi Way - I recognize you from Rennteam board. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #20
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After thinking about this a bit more, I think I have a solution to this problem. I once had a 2002 Porsche 911 and it wouldn't let you start the car unless you pressed in the clutch. I found this annoying, since all my older models worked without pressing the clutch. So, I placed a zip-tie around the microswitch on the clutch pedal, so the car thought the clutch was always depressed - problem solved.

I think this could work here too (in reverse - disconnect the switch, so the car thinks the clutch is never depressed), unless there's some other electronic thing going on that would be upset by seeing the clutch never depressed (might need a manual override switch to start the car).

Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp, 2021 X7

Garage List
Quote:
we got 40,000 kms (about 30,000 miles) before the first oil change!!!
Im sorry, but I would NEVER take automotive advice or a review from someone who put a car 30,000 miles with no oil changes....How pitful and ignorant

What a retard, this means nothing to me as this guy is obviously a true idiot and has no credibility with me whatsoever.

Im not trying to be mean, but seriously, come on. Gas/diesel, doesnt matter, 30k is about 6 times to long to wait.

Thanks anyway
      07-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #22
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH007 View Post
Im sorry, but I would NEVER take automotive advice or a review from someone who put a car 30,000 miles with no oil changes....How pitful and ignorant

What a retard, this means nothing to me as this guy is obviously a true idiot and has no credibility with me whatsoever.

Im not trying to be mean, but seriously, come on. Gas/diesel, doesnt matter, 30k is about 6 times to long to wait.

Thanks anyway
Actually, 40,000km is 24k miles (he did the conversion wrong) and I'm sure he followed the strict timetable in the manual or whenever the onboard computer (which determines service intervals based on how the car is used, not just how many miles it travels) told him when to service the car.

He was not negligent, I assure you (and as far as can be from "pitiful", "ignorant", "a retard", or "a true idiot").

Perhaps you need to examine why you're so defensive about this issue?
Appreciate 0