BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Dealer opinions of 135i after sitting in them

I was at Shelly BMW today getting my first service (17,000 miles on 335i Sedan) and asked 4 different people about their experience with the 135i.

Unanimously, they said it was gorgeous. Not one complaint. All said it looks the same size visibly, as the 335i coupe. They said just looking at it, that was their view that there very little size difference, even though it is of course smaller.

They also said when sitting in it, it was barely any different in feel and size as the 335i, except not so many toys. In fact they could really tell little difference from sitting in it at all. Three of the guys were over 5’10”

Unanimously they loved it and said they would buy one in a second. All said it was aggressive, gorgeous and thought the bullshit about the lower rockers was childish and ignorant. They were one finance manager, and 3 service techs, all indecently asked without the others hearing each other.

All four said it was brilliant. One of the best products by BMW in 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

thanks for the feedback.

my dealer was very emphatic that when he saw it he didn't think it was a very small car. i kept mentioning how i liked the car being smaller and he kept "correcting" me saying it wasn't that small. seems to be consistent with what you are hearing too.

i'm curious what toys the 335i has that the 135i probably won't have? A bigger iDrive screen and a differently named leather. I can't think of anything else.

since i can't test drive before i order i'm going to have to rely on mag reviews and anecdotal stories to decide whether to order it or get the 335i instead. anyway thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Thanx for the info.

I too have talked to some people at the BMW NY,NY and they where also saying that it isn't really that small as well ................... i guess what everyone is saying who has seen it is that its bigger than what it looks like in the pics........................ which is good cause that means its got some presence.
      08-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
I was at Shelly BMW today getting my first service (17,000 miles on 335i Sedan) and asked 4 different people about their experience with the 135i.

Unanimously, they said it was gorgeous. Not one complaint. All said it looks the same size visibly, as the 335i coupe. They said just looking at it, that was their view that there very little size difference, even though it is of course smaller.

They also said when sitting in it, it was barely any different in feel and size as the 335i, except not so many toys. In fact they could really tell little difference from sitting in it at all. Three of the guys were over 5’10”

Unanimously they loved it and said they would buy one in a second. All said it was aggressive, gorgeous and thought the bullshit about the lower rockers was childish and ignorant. They were one finance manager, and 3 service techs, all indecently asked without the others hearing each other.

All four said it was brilliant. One of the best products by BMW in 20 years.
I'm surprised they went that far to answer your question. I went in there on Monday to ask about the 135i and they just had this look of "You're not going to buy right now so get out" look. I'm sorry, but the way they treated me those few moments, they lost themselves a potential customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

I can be a bit of a pest. I'm in sales so speaking to people is my thing. I engage easily and get people talking. I frankly did not expect the exterior size thing to come up, but was asking how the interior size was, specifically. The biggest guy, pretty fat, said he was very comfortable in it.

Mark Czikalla (714) 994-8100. He gave me $800 over invoice on a 24 month lease at .0018 money factor on my 335i when it had only been out a month. In 06'. He'll gladly cooperate on a great deal. Nice guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Do you still plan on buying the M3? I switched my deposit from the M3 to the 135i. I am not sure if it's the best decision but I think both the 135i and the E92 M3 will be great cars so I can't lose either way. There are rumors now it will only start at 54k for that insane v8...
      08-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menotakoala View Post
I'm surprised they went that far to answer your question. I went in there on Monday to ask about the 135i and they just had this look of "You're not going to buy right now so get out" look. I'm sorry, but the way they treated me those few moments, they lost themselves a potential customer.
Yea I know what you mean. I got the same attitude at South Bay BMW as well so I took my business to Long Beach. It has stress free and friendly staff. I don't have to take crap from guys who are nothing without their stiffy suits.
      08-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #8
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

The consensus here in Germany that this car will more than likely take over the 3 series sport as the #1 selling BMW. All the German dealers that I have talked to think this car will be one of the hottest cars on the planet. This car will have more than enough goodies. I hope/wish we can get heads-up display. I was planning on getting an M3 but not anymore...I can have me a new house and a new car now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoi2100 View Post
The consensus here in Germany that this car will more than likely take over the 3 series sport as the #1 selling BMW. All the German dealers that I have talked to think this car will be one of the hottest cars on the planet.
This seems to be the unanimous opinion everywhere. My salesguy is a 30-year vet as jaded as they get and even he's excited.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
This seems to be the unanimous opinion everywhere. My salesguy is a 30-year vet as jaded as they get and even he's excited.
Yeah... despite the gnashing of teeth over pricing the excitement is really palpable. This is definitely a GREAT time to be a BMW fan and it's even better if you are in the market for a hot coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Wow, this is such great news!!! Thanks for letting us know!
      08-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
...and thought the bullshit about the lower rockers was childish and ignorant...
Assuming that's an accurate quote about buyer reactions to the "Bangle-ized" styling, then those dealers' credibility just hit zero for me. It's one thing to defend your product, it's another to insult potential customers just because they happen to have different taste.

If I get a 135i, it will be in spite of the car's styling. I'm hoping the performance, size, and price will convince me to overlook the (somewhat more muted) Bangle "flame surfacing" etc.

Anyway, if that's actually what those dealers said, then the rest of their impressions are probably equally suspect.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn View Post
Assuming that's an accurate quote about buyer reactions to the "Bangle-ized" styling, then those dealers' credibility just hit zero for me. It's one thing to defend your product, it's another to insult potential customers just because they happen to have different taste.

If I get a 135i, it will be in spite of the car's styling. I'm hoping the performance, size, and price will convince me to overlook the (somewhat more muted) Bangle "flame surfacing" etc.

Anyway, if that's actually what those dealers said, then the rest of their impressions are probably equally suspect.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It may be a fact that the dealers really liked the car. However, we always take dealer's word with a grain of salt.
      08-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It may be a fact that the dealers really liked the car.
Yes, but there's a big difference between "I really like the styling of the car - I think it's beautiful!" and "the bullshit (other comments) about the lower rockers is childish and ignorant". One shows respect for others' opinions, the other shows that what they say can't be trusted. Anyway, it may be that this wasn't an exact quote, just the OP's summary of their remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
However, we always take dealer's word with a grain of salt.
:biggrin: In this case, you sure got that right! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn View Post
Don't get me wrong, from the pictures I've seen the 135 is a handsome car. It is not as sexy as others on the road, but if the price/performance is right it will not be the first time I buy what others have deemed to be a less attractive car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
Don't get me wrong, from the pictures I've seen the 135 is a handsome car. It is not as sexy as others on the road, but if the price/performance is right it will not be the first time I buy what others have deemed to be a less attractive car.
Amen Brother!
      08-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #17
isitspringyet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '98 SLK, '03 TL/S

I just stopped by my dealer, and they were as excited about the 135i as I was. The saleman I talked to is the first one on the list to get one. They siad that the 135i was the only way to go. He felt that the looks would be much more like the 3 series in the 128i package.
Appreciate 0