BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Someday....someday....what I hope my 135i to look like

This is the goal--I learned with my GTI that modding is FTL :redface:

Only cosmetic and semi-removable mods on the 135i.

Still unsure where I am going with rims as of yet....will be easier to decide once I get the car.

MODS:
Tinted tails, sidemarkers, windows (5%-25% not sure yet)
Shadowline trim
Lowering springs of some sort
Painted red stock calipers
Possibly new rotors depending on the look of the stockies
19x8 OZ Ultraleggera rims (20.4 lbs FTW!)

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The big drilled Brembos and OZ Ultraleggeras are awesome.

When you add up the cost of the wheels, new ZR rated tires and brakes, plus installation, what would this cost?

This would be a great project car for SEMA.

Show us your GTI!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
n54_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

That first one looks sick with those rims,

....any chance you could do the same but in AW? (Im trying to decide between AW and SGM with those exact rims)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
Show us your GTI!
What you can't see is a ton of performance parts

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
marcosowns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 FR-S

I'm liking the second one, excluding the red calipers and the lip on the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
tenxaday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I m a big GTI fan. I loved mine when i had it. The body of that car is sexx. Did you get a fast with yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er Trojan View Post
This is the goal--I learned with my GTI that modding is FTL :redface:

Only cosmetic and semi-removable mods on the 135i.

Still unsure where I am going with rims as of yet....will be easier to decide once I get the car.

MODS:
Tinted tails, sidemarkers, windows (5%-25% not sure yet)
Shadowline trim
Lowering springs of some sort
Painted red stock calipers
Possibly new rotors depending on the look of the stockies
19x8 OZ Ultraleggera rims (20.4 lbs FTW!)

Are you a celebrity...?

Why do you need your windows so dark..? Sometimes less is more..!!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Are you a celebrity...?

Why do you need your windows so dark..? Sometimes less is more..!!

-Garrett
No but I am from So Cal.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
Icecold135i
I Fly Icecold No Mistakes
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
No but I am from So Cal.
...enough said...I am too and my windows on my Impreza are one step before Limo on ALL windows. The windows on my 1er will be the same. Your GTI is nice, I wanted one for a long time, used to have a 20th anniversary and I miss it. Cant wait to get back into the german automobile with my 1er!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
vegasthrowdown
Rep
Drives:

nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I've never been a big fan of red calipers, but it does look good.
      10-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold135i View Post
...enough said...I am too and my windows on my Impreza are one step before Limo on ALL windows. The windows on my 1er will be the same. Your GTI is nice, I wanted one for a long time, used to have a 20th anniversary and I miss it. Cant wait to get back into the german automobile with my 1er!

Why do people from California think they get more sun than everybody else..?

Heat is one thing, but sun..?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
They go for the dark tints because they are all celebrity wannabes... must be something in the SoCal air....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Sigma
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Heat is one thing, but sun..?
You don't tint windows for sunlight (which obviously we all get in relatively equal amounts). You tint them to reflect heat (which we all don't get in equal amounts). And there's aesthetics of course. If the point was to block sunlight, you'd tint the windshield not the side and rear windows.

Sit in freeway traffic on a 110 degree day and you'll be begging for 15%-25% tint on your windows. With no tint at all, the AC in most cars will feel like a warm breeze by the time it gets to you. Pop some good tint on there and your AC will not only actually feel like an AC it'll work less and save you quite a bit on fuel costs too.

That said, 5% (aka limo) all-around is a bit excessive. During the day it's nice to have, but at night it becomes quite a safety hazard as, without ambient light, you lose a very significant amount of visibility out your windows. It's alright on the rear and perhaps even rear sides, I've done it myself in the past. But to put it on the driver and passenger doors is a bit haphazard, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
mts261
Rep
Drives:

Does painting the calipers help the car stop faster?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #17
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
You don't tint windows for sunlight (which obviously we all get in relatively equal amounts). You tint them to reflect heat (which we all don't get in equal amounts). And there's aesthetics of course. If the point was to block sunlight, you'd tint the windshield not the side and rear windows.

Sit in freeway traffic on a 110 degree day and you'll be begging for 15%-25% tint on your windows. With no tint at all, the AC in most cars will feel like a warm breeze by the time it gets to you. Pop some good tint on there and your AC will not only actually feel like an AC it'll work less and save you quite a bit on fuel costs too.

That said, 5% (aka limo) all-around is a bit excessive. During the day it's nice to have, but at night it becomes quite a safety hazard as, without ambient light, you lose a very significant amount of visibility out your windows. It's alright on the rear and perhaps even rear sides, I've done it myself in the past. But to put it on the driver and passenger doors is a bit haphazard, IMHO.

:bs:

LOL... Black attracts heat..!! If your windows were tinted white or silver that might seem reasonable. Tinted windows have no purpose but to shield sunlight from entering your car.... when its parked.

Has nothing to do when you in it, because your car is RUNNING.. and you can have the AC on. Walking up to a hot car is also a phallicy because when you open the door and turn the ac on, within 40 seconds your car is cooler than it would be if you had no windows at all. Open you trunk of you car next time and check the heat in there... No windows in there... still hot!

Having ZERO window tint vs having a slight tint.. Say 50% will reduce the sunlight by 50% ..! If that's not enough to keep your car cool... then 100% tint won't do anything.

It's called the cost of diminishing returns. (ie trunk)

I've never had a problem with BMW A/C in 100+ days with Michigan humidity. Which Cali doesn't get. You just have to start you car and get out and let it cool down for about 30 seconds. Once in, it doesnt matter how hot it is outside!

I think alot of you like lieing to yourself. There is no logical rebuttle for pimp tint. Darker = Celebrity Mindset.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #18
pxd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:

LOL... Black attracts heat..!! If your windows were tinted white or silver that might seem reasonable. Tinted windows have no purpose but to shield sunlight from entering your car.... when its parked.

Has nothing to do when you in it, because your car is RUNNING.. and you can have the AC on. Walking up to a hot car is also a phallicy because when you open the door and turn the ac on, within 40 seconds your car is cooler than it would be if you had no windows at all. Open you trunk of you car next time and check the heat in there... No windows in there... still hot!

Having ZERO window tint vs having a slight tint.. Say 50% will reduce the sunlight by 50% ..! If that's not enough to keep your car cool... then 100% tint won't do anything.

I've never had a problem with BMW A/C in 100+ days with Michigan humidity. Which Cali doesn't get. You just have to start you car and get out and let it cool down for about 30 seconds. Once in, it doesnt matter how hot it is outside!

I think alot of you like lieing to yourself. There is no logical rebuttle for pimp tint. Darker = Celebrity Mindset.
Actually, it reduces DIRECT heat caused by the sunlight. The heat residing in the trunk after parking your car is because after a certain time it establishes an equilibrium of pressure and temperature with the outside atmosphere.
Also, there are certainly numerous people who dislike sunlight, especially in Southern California where it becomes so strong that it actually hurts your skin.
That altogether seems logical enough to get darker tint to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:

You may want to peruse this handy PDF from Llumar which clearly illustrates the direct correlation between Visible Light Transmission (tint "darkness") and Total Solar Energy Rejection (heat rejection).

CLICK.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #20
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Hey!

Thread jackers...get your own thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #21
pxd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Hey!

Thread jackers...get your own thread.
Haha sorry, just trying to reason why dark tints are good in our location
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #22
///MG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '05 M3

Quote:

Is there any particular reason nearly every one of your thread responses are negative? I'm sure I'm not the only one to recognize this either.

Seriously take a second thought and re-read your posts, because you seem to come off as an arrogant a$$ nearly every time.

Now why would window tints only be effective when the car is parked? Window tints will effectively reduce the SHGC of the window, and thus reduce the solar heat gain through the widow. The darker the tint, the lower SHGC you will have. This applies to both static and dynamic objects. While black is the most undesired color for it's absorbtion trait, it will nontheless reduce the heat gain within the car. Visible light accounts for only half of the solar heat transmitted from the sun, you still have to account for the infrared frequencies as well.

I've had 30% tints on my first car, and my currect car has none. There is a noticeable temperature difference between the two, enough so that my next car will have window tints.
Appreciate 0