BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

11-26-2023, 06:11 PM   #1
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Help with ordering

Does anyone know if there's any actual difference between the stock standard seats ("sports seats?") in the G60 and the "luxury seating package" other than a couple of more adjustments and the ventilation? Both my wife and I noted that the regular seats were kind of hard feeling.

One salesperson said there's really no difference other than the adjustability and ventilation while another indicated that the seats themselves were different with the luxury seats being more cushioned.

Here's the description of this option from the USA ordering template -

"Luxury Seating Package
$1,350
On long-distance trips, you’ll travel in ease and arrive refreshed with the Luxury Seating Package. Ergonomically designed Multi-contour front seats circulate cool or warm air to keep you comfortable behind the wheel."

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 11-26-2023 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

For the G30, I believe it added massaging and more power adjustments. Mine also has ventilated seats which doesn’t necessarily cool the seats, but blows the heat out of the seats. I never use that feature because it actually makes me more hot. But the massage and the tweaking of the seats is amazing for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 02:11 AM   #3
OHV_44
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G60 520i

The comfort seats have a completely different geometry. They are not as tight as the sports seats and are more comfortable. Unfortunately it can no longer be compared with the very good seats of the G30.

Please also look here:
https://g60.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2059956

Sport seats

Comfort seats

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 05:50 AM   #4
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV_44 View Post
The comfort seats have a completely different geometry. They are not as tight as the sports seats and are more comfortable. Unfortunately it can no longer be compared with the very good seats of the G30.

Please also look here:
https://g60.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2059956

Sport seats

Comfort seats
Thank you so much! That really helped. I was concerned that there may not really be a difference between the sports and luxury seats. That thread you linked and especially that video review, makes it quite clear they are significantly different.

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #5
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll share my take on the G60 (ICE variants). I was going to order the new M-B E-Class but there seem to be some significant delays that may delay delivery for up to a year. It also has weird packages that contain items I have no interest in and which drive up the price pretty wildly. The G60, OTOH, is very fairly priced and the Executive package has everything I'd possibly want in a vehicle. I've owned two previous 5's and been extremely happy with them. I've owned them each for over six years and they've been incredibly reliable with no significant maintenance issues. The reliability of the M-B is a bit more of a question mark. I much prefer the external design of the new E-Class but I think the interior is a bit over the top... kind of "Tokyo at night." BMW handles the interior much better in my view. It's still exciting and fun but it seems to be much more well integrated and, for lack of a better word, 'adult.'

The exterior of the G60 is something that will take some getting used to, particularly the front view. I really like the rear and the tail light design but I think BMW really should have offered some more interesting paint color choices. The interior color options are also underwhelming both with the upholstery choices and the dashboard wood options. M-B has far nicer available choices here. But as a complete package taking into account ride, seat comfort, handling, price and reliability I think the G60 pulls ahead so that's where I'm putting my money. The fact that I'll probably receive the vehicle in early March is another huge plus as the availability of the MB is one huge question mark at this point.

As with most things, this is all very subjective, of course, but those are some of my thoughts.
Appreciate 1
Scrapula2797.50
      11-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #6
Lelouch0202
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I'll share my take on the G60 (ICE variants). I was going to order the new M-B E-Class but there seem to be some significant delays that may delay delivery for up to a year. It also has weird packages that contain items I have no interest in and which drive up the price pretty wildly. The G60, OTOH, is very fairly priced and the Executive package has everything I'd possibly want in a vehicle. I've owned two previous 5's and been extremely happy with them. I've owned them each for over six years and they've been incredibly reliable with no significant maintenance issues. The reliability of the M-B is a bit more of a question mark. I much prefer the external design of the new E-Class but I think the interior is a bit over the top... kind of "Tokyo at night." BMW handles the interior much better in my view. It's still exciting and fun but it seems to be much more well integrated and, for lack of a better word, 'adult.'

The exterior of the G60 is something that will take some getting used to, particularly the front view. I really like the rear and the tail light design but I think BMW really should have offered some more interesting paint color choices. The interior color options are also underwhelming both with the upholstery choices and the dashboard wood options. M-B has far nicer available choices here. But as a complete package taking into account ride, seat comfort, handling, price and reliability I think the G60 pulls ahead so that's where I'm putting my money. The fact that I'll probably receive the vehicle in early March is another huge plus as the availability of the MB is one huge question mark at this point.

As with most things, this is all very subjective, of course, but those are some of my thoughts.
Interesting, I've decided to do the opposite and have opted to go for W214. Will be placing my order on Friday. I think MB nailed the styling on the new E class both exterior and interior. For $80k on a 540i, I feel the G60 interior does not have the same premium feel to it, it feels like they have cut costs with material. Restricted air suspension and rear wheel steering to the i5M60. Lot of seat functionality has been removed compared to G30. It feels like I am paying more money to BMW and getting less in return than what I could have gotten with the G30.

I'll be honest and say MB reliability stories do scare me but I'm gonna take the risk, so fingers crossed. Most impressions on the W214 say it drives and handles really well so I pray for the silver lining.

Out of curiosity, what was your estimate when you priced out your order? I have only seen the ordering guide posted on the MB forums and it doesn't really have prices for various options.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 03:34 AM   #7
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch0202 View Post
Interesting, I've decided to do the opposite and have opted to go for W214. Will be placing my order on Friday. I think MB nailed the styling on the new E class both exterior and interior. For $80k on a 540i, I feel the G60 interior does not have the same premium feel to it, it feels like they have cut costs with material. Restricted air suspension and rear wheel steering to the i5M60. Lot of seat functionality has been removed compared to G30. It feels like I am paying more money to BMW and getting less in return than what I could have gotten with the G30.

I'll be honest and say MB reliability stories do scare me but I'm gonna take the risk, so fingers crossed. Most impressions on the W214 say it drives and handles really well so I pray for the silver lining.

Out of curiosity, what was your estimate when you priced out your order? I have only seen the ordering guide posted on the MB forums and it doesn't really have prices for various options.
I did not get a price as pricing for the W214 (E450) was not out yet. I don't believe it's available now either. I just put down a refundable $500 deposit to assure an early production slot. Good luck with the W214. It's a great car. There are no bad choices here! 😀
Appreciate 0