BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Guess It's Time to Find My Williams-BMW gear...

03-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Guess It's Time to Find My Williams-BMW gear...

Well, the 1 will be my first BMW and F1 season just started, so I guess I should go find my Montoya Williams-BMW hat and the Mark Webber Williams-BMW shirt so I can cheer on BMW in the Aussie GP (or at least the engine). Car looks fast, but a little too sensitive, this year. Definitely leads the league in aero shit hanging off of it. Kubica looked fast in the qualifying session.

Any other F1 fans on the board?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Wish F1 Would Get More Coverage

Tough to be a F1 fan living in the USA. I don't follow as closely as in the past, but every time I find it on TV I can't turn it off! The sounds that come from F1 cars is other worldly. I have to admit to being a Ferrari fan. It's my Italian heritage. I even have my Ferrari F1 flag hanging in my TV room. But, I also root for BMW powered cars since that's all I own. For sure, F1 makes NASCAR look like the overhyped crap it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

whats nascar? is that the annoying commercial ppl watch for hours?
      03-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
ugsckss
Rep
Drives:

kubica would have had pole had he not gotten sideways in that corner. still quite impressive to save it and still get p2. can't wait for the race tomorrow. this year will be interesting without traction control.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

The cars looked awesome sliding around the track. Kubica was definitely on it until he ran wide and hit the turf. The cars haven't looked that good since JV beat some guy in a Ferrari at Jerez in 97.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

F1? Isn't that the sport where each car just follows behind the others for a couple of hours and the winner is determined by who hits the pits at the right time and gets just the right amount of fuel to come out in the lead at the end?

NASCAR fan since birth!
      03-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Vidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

well at least F1 cars can turn right!

you think the cars sound good on the tv you should hear them live!!!!!!

myself and a friend went to a test a silverstone test, and to cut a long story short we ended up in the BMW pit lane, its not what you know its who you know! Suddenly an engine started (we arrived during the lunch break) good god it was load the it turned out to be the Red bill 3 garages down!!!!!

will be up at 3:30am watching the race:headbang:
      03-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
forestjump
Private
Rep
Drives:

F1 is the greatest show on earth!!

i dont know why you guys still mess around with that nascar rubbish! :wink:

i too will be up at 3:30am, Hamilton for the win!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
dixon1763
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Nascar is great! F1 is great! All forms of racing are cool, and the true sophisticate appreciates each on its own merits.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Yes, NASCAR cars can turn right and can be seen doing so when they race at road courses. And yes they too sound very good when they are started and when they scream around the track at nearly 200 MPH. I still say it is more fun watching cars that only turn left, if they at least have the opportunity to pass each other rather than playing follow the leader.
      03-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
All forms of racing have their best parts and worst parts. In have been a racing fan since I was 5 years old and used to live for the Indy 500 in my youth. I also was and still am a Jackie Stewart fan. I attended local dirt track races and always figured I would build a stock car and race on weekends. That was until I had a chance to start driving on race tracks. My focus changed completely to going left and right. Then I started my spending spree on road racing and had to give that up. Now just for fun.

I think that this years F1 will be much better due to the elimination of TC. It made great engines sound horrible and took some of the ability of the driver out of the driver equation. Now we will see who can really drive! GO Kubica!!

My wife and I attended F1 races, up until they pulled the plug in the US this year. We do not attend Nascar, but watch on TV. I think the local short track action is still better than the "big boys" in terms of NASCAR. At least this week they will be Bristol, which is the only kind of track that stock cars should race at. Until they get rid of the rediculous green/white/checker, there is almost no sense in watching NASCAR until the last 10 minutes of the race. At least it allows the opportunity to catch the ALMS or some other race and turn back at the last minute to see who they allow to win.
      03-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

I had the opportunity to work the pit lane at last year's Indy F1 race as an USAC official and it was an awesome experience.
I agree with the previous posts regarding what traction control does to the fabulous F1 engine sounds. I thought I was hearing a 10,000 db can of bolts in a coffee can about ready to explode as they cued up to practice launches at the end of the pit lane.

It took ear plugs plus headset ear protection to survive that weekend. Too bad I'm not headed back this year.

Can't wait for the season to start..time to check local times on Speed and set the DVR!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
Yes, NASCAR cars can turn right and can be seen doing so when they race at road courses. And yes they too sound very good when they are started and when they scream around the track at nearly 200 MPH. I still say it is more fun watching cars that only turn left, if they at least have the opportunity to pass each other rather than playing follow the leader.
200? How many laps does it take for that to happen? F1 cars can go well over 200 from zero in just a few hundred meters.

Not trying to be mean, but NASCAR is a very low form of racing, and of couse low tech too which thrills me not. If you like NASCAR, but perhaps have a hard time appreciating the spectacle of F1, then you might like DTM. At least with DTM you get highly capable cars that look similar to production cars (although only 2 makes these days?), and the drivers are far more aggressive than anyone in NASCAR. I like WTCC as well, and of course FIA GT racing.