BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP Revealed

Closed Thread

03-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Talking 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP Revealed

LS3 power and available manual transmission:

http://jalopnik.com/367820/2009-pont...l-transmission

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

That bugger will have power, but i guess it'll be close to a thousand pounds more than the 1er...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
That bugger will have power, but i guess it'll be close to a thousand pounds more than the 1er...

It's a touch over 4000lbs from what I've read. The LS3 is basically the same engine as the 365Hp version in the GT, and the manual will actually be a little lighter. Should fall right in line with the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Twice the engine size (normally aspiratred of course) of a 135i and only adds 72ish HP. SS 0-62 and 1/4 mile times are essentially the same as the 135i. can only imagine the low fuel economy of that big motor.

Seems another imbalanced led sled from Detroit made from cheap materials and sure to offer poor resale value. Am I supposed to be impressed?
      03-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

I think it will be as successful as the GTO was...

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Twice the engine size (normally aspiratred of course) of a 135i and only adds 72ish HP. SS 0-62 and 1/4 mile times are essentially the same as the 135i. can only imagine the low fuel economy of that big motor.

Seems another imbalanced led sled from Detroit made from cheap materials and sure to offer poor resale value. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Wow! Now that's some serious ignorance right there. First of all, this car is the size of a 5 series, and is pulling off 1/4mile times as fast as a 1, for less money. It's going to get EPA rated a few MPG less than a 1 series, and it was named car of the year by several magazines in Europe and Australia. At LEAST try to learn a little something about the car in question before making comments like that. :bs:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
I think it will be as successful as the GTO was...

There are some major differences in this car and the GTO. First of all, the chassis the GTO was on was at the end of it's life cycle. It had been in production in Australia for years before it was sent over here. To make it meet American standards there were a lot of comprimises made, mainly the trunk. The G8 is on a new chassis designed from the ground up to serve in both markets. The GTO was offered with one engine, and the only options where wheel size and transmission. The G8 will have three engine options including a V6 and two V8s. The GTO was priced at $33k base, the G8 starts under $27k, with the GT (360Hp) starting just under $30k.

This car will be a sucess for GM from a sales point of view. Whether or not they make any money on it with the falling dollar remains to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

we'll see... The big three have been so successful with all if their cars, this one I'm sure will be too.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

^^ Stay in school kids!

BTW, I stand by my words. The fact the car is as large as a 5 series isn't my problem. I simply stated the motor is underpowered for its size. And BTW, BMW can build a car that size (535i) and make it only 287 pounds heavier than the 135i.

Bottomline, I don't like anything from Detroit and would certainly never pay for anything from Detroit (I value my money). Am I required to like this POS Detroit product?
      03-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Bottomline, I don't like anything from Detroit and would certainly never pay for anything from Detroit (I value my money). Am I required to like this POS Detroit product?

Bottom line...you don't have a clue what you're talking about. There's about ZERO North American content in that car.

A 535i weighs 3946lbs, which is within 50lbs one way or the other of what the G8 weighs, is slower, and doesn't get any better mileage. Not to mention it costs about $25k more when comparably equipped.

Try not to be such a badge snob. It makes you look dumb.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

GM has really been turning up the heat lately!

I really like the fact that America is producing such competitive cars. It means that everyone has to turn things up a notch.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Bottom line...you don't have a clue what you're talking about. There's about ZERO North American content in that car.

A 535i weighs 3946lbs, which is withing 50lbs one way or the other of what the G8 weighs, is slower, and doesn't get any better mileage. Not to mention it costs about $25k more when comparably equipped.

Try not to be such a badge snob. It makes you look dumb.
Dumb? Snob? All you know about me is I don't like the car you do. Try not to be so emotional and please refrain from attempting to size people up over a few words -- that's dumb. I didn't ridecule you for the the numerous spelling errors in your posts (which make you appear uneducated). In any case, I'm entitled to like what I wish. I'm not telling you you're not allowed to like it. And I'm well aware of the collaboration effort. So what? It's still beneath my standards and something I'd never get excited over.

BTW, the 535i weighs 3,660 pounds according to the specs page on BMW NA's website. But I guess you know more then they...

Give it up, please and thank you.
      03-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dumb? Snob? All you know about me is I don't like the car you do. Try not to be so emotional and please refrain from attempting to size people up over a few words -- that's dumb. .
There's a difference in not liking a car, and bashing something you know nothing about.

Quote:
I didn't ridecule you for the the numerous spelling errors in your posts (which make you appear uneducated). .
It's a good thing considering all the mis-spellings in yours.

And aspiratred from the earlier post. Resorting to pointing out gammatical errors in someone's post is about as petty as you can get.

Quote:
In any case, I'm entitled to like what I wish. I'm not telling you you're not allowed to like it. And I'm well aware of the collaboration effort. So what? It's still beneath my standards and something I'd never get excited over. .
You are, but if you post your views on a public web forum, you're also going to be challenged on them. Saying a car that you have never driven or probably even seen is a "POS" and has "cheap materials" is dumb. Comparing a 4 door sports sedan the size of a 5 series to a 135 is dumber, and saying it's a Detroit car is just absurd. It was designed and built in Australia, for the international market, and has received rave reviews in every country it's been tested in. But I guess you know more about it then they do, even though you've never even seen one in person. :thumbup:

Quote:
BTW, the 535i weighs 3,660 pounds according to the specs page on BMW NA's website. But I guess you know more then they...

Give it up, please and thank you.

You are correct about the 535 weight, with a manual transmission. I clicked the wrong link. The weight specs for the comparably powered 550 aren't available right now from BMW but here's a link to the Yahoo page. The numbers are nearly identical to the G8, right down to HP and fuel economy....the G8 GT that is. The GXP version will have another 40Hp over that, and won't weigh any more.
Now why don't YOU give up and just admit that

A. GM has done a pretty good job with this
or
B. You just don't like it because of the badge, and are bashing on it even though you don't know anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

^^ There's no such word as "dumber." Can you not tell I could care less about this topic, this thread, your opinions, etc.? Give it a rest. You're making me LOL! I'm sure this is all just a reflection of your age. You've spun yourself into the ceiling for nothing! Have a good night.

Cheers!
      03-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Wow, I go out for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. :iono:

The 135i and GXP aren't really comparable although you can compare anything if you want to. The GXP compares more directly to the 550i (not 535i) in weight and other specs. It's a VERY LARGE car. It's also significantly quicker than the 550i.

On paper, a 13 flat 1/4 mile time is faster than either the 135i or 335i. It won't be any great surprise to the LSx crowd if this thing runs 12's out of the box since GM's ratings and times are often conservative. There's also some speculation that the detuning for the GXP vs. the Vette is a "marketing detune", meaning it has the same output as the Vette. And 500 rwhp will be easily achievable with intake, cams, headers, and tune. The GXP will be a beast...

For those comparing this to the ill-fated GTO, note that the GTO was both understyled and poorly marketed (i.e. they called it a GTO), but it wasn't poorly built or slow. Holden has a solid rep and builds solid automobiles. There's no basis for assuming this is a "POS Detroit product". The G8 GT is a great performance value...it's not a luxury car...and if the GXP comes in at mid-30's base MSRP it'll be one of the best bang vs. buck values on the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Enough!!

This is well beyond a healthy debate.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread