BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Dinan or Procede?
Dinan 81 66.39%
Procede 41 33.61%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

03-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
doubleA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Dinan vs. Procede?

What will everyone get and why? I am very torn between the two but leaning towards Dinan. I LOVE the fact that it is still under warranty, but who can ignore the power gains from vishnu?

I'm really interested in all of your responses so let's hear 'em!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It's going to be dinan for me

There is no such thing as free power.

It is my understanding that both products increase boost.

most boost = more stress on the engine.

More stress = larger chances of problems.

I think both tunes are good and relatively safe. I fully recognize that using either tune increases my chance of engine failure. Therefore I chose to pay extra for the warranty (Dinan). It is also nice that my BMW dealer is a authorized Dinan dealer. If there is an issue BMW or Dinan will pay. I don’t have to deal with the vendor finger pointing game.

I do think Procede is a good product, just no warranty
      03-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

out of those two choices id choose dinan. i dont like the fact that id feel like a beta tester with the procede. too many issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

e90post seemed to be in love with Procede, but now people are having problems with it, and there have been a couple threads about people having their warranty voided because of it.

The other thing that bugs me is that Vishnu is always updated the thing with new software. This is admittedly a cool feature, but I just can't shake the feeling that they didn't get it right in the first place, and are just trying to figure it out.

That said, I'm gonna put a Dinan chip in it at some point around August. The warranty you get with it is a big deal to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
e90post seemed to be in love with Procede, but now people are having problems with it, and there have been a couple threads about people having their warranty voided because of it.
Karma Probably the kids that try to tell people the Dinan warranty is fake. Procede and voided warranties, doesn't surprise me at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Good Poll!
Love the Dinan Warranty,.
One thing that should be considered is the cost?
(Also,..Im sure the people whose warranties got voided forgot to remove the Procede before they took it in for service,..otherwise,..it leaves no trace.?)

$1295 Vishnu PROcede

$1999 Dinan

Dinan=$700 more (Thats alot)

Does this change anyones mind?
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I know this is Procede vs Dinan but how about JB2, No CELs etc good results anyone?

Can we add JB2xx ???

This will be my choice not the most aggressive but still good results, power and reliabilty.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

The few items that are really selling me on the Dinan tune is their ingenious programing that is designed to protect the engine and the turbos.

I had to quote the Dinan stie directly because this really does say it best:

In an effort to more effectively control oil and water temperatures, the Dinan software actually increases water pump speeds as boost pressure increases.

Boost Pressure Control. Increased boost pressure exceeds the turbochargers’ design limitations at higher rpm, potentially shortening their lifespan. Dinan addresses this issue by tapering the boost gradually at higher engine speeds. This approach also addresses the fact that with increased boost at higher rpm the turbocharger temperatures would exceed the intercooler’s ability to cool the intake charge, resulting in a loss of power and compromising the long-term durability of the engine. The tapered boost keeps temperatures within the design limitations so as to optimize output and ensure engine reliability with the added boost pressure.

And as an added bonus:

Top Speed Governor Removed. With Dinan’s software, the 135 will be capable of achieving its natural top speed as the governor has been removed.

Procede cannot even touch these claims.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
brakefade
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Good Poll!
(Also,..Im sure the people whose warranties got voided forgot to remove the Procede before they took it in for service,..otherwise,..it leaves no trace.?)

$1295 Vishnu PROcede

$1999 Dinan

Doesn't change mine. $700 to keep the warranty is cheap for the increase in performance.

Will removing the Vishnu code erase the recorded overboost?

Vishnu does have a reputation of pushing the performance envelope at the expense of reliability. And if the motor blows, not sure I can expect much support from Procede. At least Dinan has put some $ on the line if their setup causes a failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

The governor thing is a plus for Dinan. $2000 is nuts. 421lb/ft means no traction untill maybe 3rd gear. JB2 might be enough for the daily driver. YOMV
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Good Poll!

$1295 Vishnu PROcede

$1999 Dinan

I look at it as pay $700 for a warranty if the Dinan flash screws up my car. How many of you buy a $100 extended warranty for your laptop ? $700 to protect my $40,000 investment is a good deal IMO.

Also procede WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Dealers can not void a warranty because of a modification. That is illegal. If the modification causes a problem then the dealer can deny the warranty claim for that ONE problem and they do not have to fix it.

bottom line:
If Procede, JB2 or the others break your engine you have to pay for it.
If Dinan breaks your engine , Dinan pays for it.

Messing with forced induction is not for the faint of heart. There is a reason that the factory leaves the extra ponies out of the stock tune. The largest reason with FI is long term reliability.
      03-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
I look at it as pay $700 for a warranty if the Dinan flash screws up my car. How many of you buy a $100 extended warranty for your laptop ? $700 to protect my $40,000 investment is a good deal IMO.

Also procede WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Dealers can not void a warranty because of a modification. That is illegal. If the modification causes a problem then the dealer can deny the warranty claim for that ONE problem and they do not have to fix it.

bottom line:
If Procede, JB2 or the others break your engine you have to pay for it.
If Dinan breaks your engine , Dinan pays for it.

Messing with forced induction is not for the faint of heart. There is a reason that the factory leaves the extra ponies out of the stock tune. The largest reason with FI is long term reliability.

The dealer may not void your car's warranty if they find that you have been using Procede/JuiceBox/SSTT, but they can refude to do the warranty work!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm going with Procede, once they release v2.1. If not maybe Helix or JBX. At any rate, I will not go with Dinan.

Dinan: pay $700+ for less power? All you get get is a warranty that "may" protect you if something should fail. And yes, there are reports indicating that the Dinan warranty doesn't always work...people always seem to forget this.

And if you're getting the Dinan tune, you have to stick with Dinan products or else they will void the warranty. So, I hope those getting Dinan don't think about getting downpipes, CAI, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
There is no such thing as free power.

It is my understanding that both products increase boost.

most boost = more stress on the engine.

More stress = larger chances of problems.

I think both tunes are good and relatively safe. I fully recognize that using either tune increases my chance of engine failure. Therefore I chose to pay extra for the warranty (Dinan). It is also nice that my BMW dealer is a authorized Dinan dealer. If there is an issue BMW or Dinan will pay. I don’t have to deal with the vendor finger pointing game.

I do think Procede is a good product, just no warranty
I agree 100%. My local bmw dealer sells dinan and I don't want to deal with warranty hassles.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I'm definitely going with Dinan.

My dealer is an authorized Dinan dealer, so I won't have any warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I actually don't have much thought for Proceed. I like Active Autowerks. They seem to be a better BMW tuner. Having said that, I am most likely going with Dinan too. I will have to get into more specific detail when it becomes decision time. Like exactly what perameters are dealt with. Dinan discussed water pump and changes and tapering boost at high RPMs to save turbo speed. Stuff like that reassures me of reliability. If other tuners are just concerned with how high they can turn up the boost, I'll pass.

The other thing I do want to know about Dinan is upgrades. What if I put on an exhaust, can I get a different map, or is that only with a Dinan map? Just curious. I have no major plans for major modifications. A reliable, civil 380/420 is awesome to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
should be a tab for other
      03-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
ya I can think 3 others off the top of my head
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
I'm definitely purchasing one from the "other" category.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #20
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Hands down worth the $700 is keeping my brand new warranty worth (depending on what happens) $5k+.

Two years from now I don't want something to fail and have to pay out of pocket because I chose to go for more power on a car that already is powerful enough!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #21
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Between those two, Dinan hands down. Not that much more money, similar power, warranty, and hassle/trouble free. A lot of procede owners seem to have trouble, and I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of their customer service over on e90post.

Personally, I'll be using Helix. Power at least equal to anything out there, maps tuned for mods, or custom tuned for your car; ability to switch maps on the go via a switch, no reliability problems/limps, good customer service, very cheap, and they're a short drive from where I live.

PS: If Dinan offers a competitively priced turbo upgrade, I'd probably go with them for the warranty, and ease of use.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 03:03 AM   #22
bimmernet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335Ci

I need more info...

From what I understand, the Vishnu system is a piggy-back, plug in module that does make any permanent mods under the hood or leave fault codes as footprints. It simply intercepts and modifies the messages from the BMW Black Box.

I'd like to know why the warranties were voided if the owners followed the instructions for stealth and removed the modules before the car was checked by a dealer.

If the Vishnu system is undetectable then I'd go that way. However, if the dealers are figuring out the car's been chipped then Hello Mr. Dinan.

Bimmernet
Appreciate 0