BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
thattallchap
Registered
Rep
Drives:

135i iDrive - USB & Mac iPods

Guys,

Quick question for you all, do any of the US folks use a Mac formatted iPod with the USB.

My Windows formatted Nano works fine, but i can't get my the car to recognise my Mac based 80Gb iPod??? - Confused from the UK

On a separate note, i have been reading a thread that states that you use the AuxIn and USB with your iPods!! - I just plug mine in with the Apple USB lead and it works perfectly. Perfect sound from the Dock connector.

Maybe you should try it without the splitter lead, as you are loosing sound quality. - Just thought i would share that with you all.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
thattallchap
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I take it there are no 135i drivers with Mac iPods. Pity - I could have really used the help.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thattallchap View Post
Guys,

Quick question for you all, do any of the US folks use a Mac formatted iPod with the USB.

My Windows formatted Nano works fine, but i can't get my the car to recognise my Mac based 80Gb iPod??? - Confused from the UK

On a separate note, i have been reading a thread that states that you use the AuxIn and USB with your iPods!! - I just plug mine in with the Apple USB lead and it works perfectly. Perfect sound from the Dock connector.

Maybe you should try it without the splitter lead, as you are loosing sound quality. - Just thought i would share that with you all.

That is because Apple uses DRM (Digital Rights Management). They control how many devices a single song can be copied to and also control what type of devices the music can be outputted too.

That is why many people hate iTunes and iPods, etc. Just go with a MP3 player.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

If you just use the usb cord you aren't using the ipod, it just shows up as a hard drive. In this case it will only work with a windows partition as you mention.

If you actually want to use it as an ipod, you have to use the splitter. There won't be a noticeable reduction in sound quality (might even sound better if the head unit has a crappy DAC) and the songs should show up quicker as the head unit doesn't have to index the drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I think you are a little too impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thattallchap View Post
I take it there are no 135i drivers with Mac iPods. Pity - I could have really used the help.:iono:
Four hours is not a long time to wait.

Mine works fine with the cable supplied by BMW. Playlists and everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Do you mean the iPod Classic? I read somewhere, sorry couldn't find where, that it only works with certain versions of the Classic.
      04-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

It works with any ipod with a doc connector (all but the shuffle) as long as it has the current firmware.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
beeme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

As a future 135i owner and mac user I'd be interested to know the answer to this one. Although I find it very odd that Apple would join with BMW to make an iPod adapter that would only worked with Win-formatted iPods.

Glad to hear that you can plug the ipod to the USB connector and get better sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Hobdul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: used to have a 2008 135i...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeme View Post
As a future 135i owner and mac user I'd be interested to know the answer to this one. Although I find it very odd that Apple would join with BMW to make an iPod adapter that would only worked with Win-formatted iPods.
I tested out the iPod connection today at a dealer with 335i sedan using my Mac-formatted iPod and my iPhone. Worked fine. I'd imagine it is the same in the 135.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

When I tried out my friend's ipod on a 5 series, I had issues. Song names and artist names were all messed up. His nano did go through the wash and might not have had the correct firmware - but im not sure. Only reason I'm really getting the nav is for the iDrive. Anyone else have issues or is it probably just his iPod?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobdul View Post
I tested out the iPod connection today at a dealer with 335i sedan using my Mac-formatted iPod and my iPhone. Worked fine. I'd imagine it is the same in the 135.
I tested this feature with my Mac-formatted 1.1.4 16GB iPhone on a 135i and a 128i that my dealer had on the floor - both failed. I tried with a USB key and it worked fine. Any details? Maybe BMW will fix the issue with a software update?

I remember the E90's CD player did not work with CDs if you got iDrive at first - they fixed it in September 2005 with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have a Mac-formatted 8 gig iPhone 1.1.3 as well as a 4th gen iPod which work perfectly fine (although the shuffle option at times acts up). No issues otherwise whatsoever.

EDIT:

I guess I should mention this is on a non-I Drive equipped vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
I have a Mac-formatted 8 gig iPhone 1.1.3 as well as a 4th gen iPod which work perfectly fine (although the shuffle option at times acts up). No issues otherwise whatsoever.

EDIT:

I guess I should mention this is on a non-I Drive equipped vehicle.
Interesting to see that your 1.1.3 iPhone works but my 1.1.4 does not. Is yours unlocked or are you running ATT? I ask because if its running ATT, I was going to ask if you'd mind upgrading to 1.1.4 to see if that function still works? (And if it doesn't you could downgrade back to 1.1.3).

EDIT: One user is suggesting that "you need the cable that has both the USB and 1/8 headphone male plug."
Is that what you're using? Or just a typical iPod USB cable?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
Interesting to see that your 1.1.3 iPhone works but my 1.1.4 does not. Is yours unlocked or are you running ATT? I ask because if its running ATT, I was going to ask if you'd mind upgrading to 1.1.4 to see if that function still works? (And if it doesn't you could downgrade back to 1.1.3).

EDIT: One user is suggesting that "you need the cable that has both the USB and 1/8 headphone male plug."
Is that what you're using? Or just a typical iPod USB cable?
I'm running a 1.1.3 JB'd iPhone. I honestly wasn't planning on upgrading to 1.1.4 as I didn't feel like installing all the programs again. Was going to wait until the next big firmware release was out.

But as far as what cable I'm using, it's the BMW proprietary cable supplied with the 6FL option. In other words the one with the USB and 1/8 headphone plug, both plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

So this cable plugs into the dock connector (into USB) and into headphone jack (into aux-in)?

Have you ever tried using a normal iPod USB cable to see how it works?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So this cable plugs into the dock connector (into USB) and into headphone jack (into aux-in)?

Have you ever tried using a normal iPod USB cable to see how it works?
Yes, the cable I am using plugs into both available ports--the USB and the headphone jack (as the cable was supplied with the 6FL option, no extra cost).

As far as using the standard iPod USB cable, I haven't. Want me to give it a go and let you know how it turns out?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
Yes, the cable I am using plugs into both available ports--the USB and the headphone jack (as the cable was supplied with the 6FL option, no extra cost).

As far as using the standard iPod USB cable, I haven't. Want me to give it a go and let you know how it turns out?
Please, if you could do that I would appreciate it greatly. I tried with that and it said "insert" when I selected USB from the source list. In other words, it wasn't detecting my phone. So I don't understand how connecting an extra headphone plug into the phone/car helps the car "detect" the phone... :iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please, if you could do that I would appreciate it greatly. I tried with that and it said "insert" when I selected USB from the source list. In other words, it wasn't detecting my phone. So I don't understand how connecting an extra headphone plug into the phone/car helps the car "detect" the phone... :iono:
Well, it could be that the supplied BMW 6FL cable is a little more complex than the standard USB iPod/iPhone cable (which is my sneaking suspicion). Will post back with results shortly.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #19
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

If you could also try with the supplied cable WITHOUT the headphone cable, that would be awesome. Thanks. I'm thinking maybe the headphone cable is only for Aux-purposes and comes on vehicles without the 6FL option as well...maybe.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #20
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here are the results:

iPod 4th Gen:
-Factor BMW cable: If I disconnected the 1/8 male headphone jack, the music would disappear.

-Apple USB cable: BMW interface would not recognize the presence of the iPod. Upon attempting to select the iPod, it would simply state "insert USB"

iPhone 1.1.3:
-Factor BMW cable: when fully connected the iPhone displayed a message asking if I wanted to place it in "airplane" mode (normal function--to reduce all the fuzz and whirls cell phones cause when in close proximity to speakers). Also, as before, when disconnecting the 1/8 headphone jack, the music disappeared.

-Apple USB cable: BMW interface would not recognize the presence of the iPod. Upon attempting to select the USB input option, it would simply state "insert USB." Also, when connecting to the car, the phone would start charging but would not prompt me and ask to be placed in "airplane" mode
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Denial, thank you very much for the help. One last question: Adding 6FL option gives you a iPod USB cable, a 6" inch cable, and a headphone cable, correct? I'm only asking to make sure it is the same in Canada, because in all of BMW's test cars there is a 6-inch extension, but no USB cable or headphone cable....

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #22
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Denial, thank you very much for the help. One last question: Adding 6FL option gives you a iPod USB cable, a 6" inch cable, and a headphone cable, correct? I'm only asking to make sure it is the same in Canada, because in all of BMW's test cars there is a 6-inch extension, but no USB cable or headphone cable....

Thanks again!
I'm honestly not sure what the 6-inch extension you're talking about it is. But the cable that came with the 6FL option is a single Y cable, with the single end being the male iPod/iPhone plug, and the other ends being the 1/8 male headphone jack and the male-end USB cable.

EDIT:
Also, adding the 6FL option alone gives you the USB port in addition to the AUX port. The USB port does not come standard--only the AUX port is standard equipment. Just want to make sure we're on the same page.
Appreciate 0