BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Any Manitobans?

Hey, just wondering if I've got any fellow Manitobans on here. So far, it looks like I'm the lonely one. Please chime in!

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

Your not the only one, I make two!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Oh, very good!

Did you or do you plan to order a 1?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

Yes I do, a month ago I would have said that I was buying an EVO, however I can not accept the fact that Mitsu Canada, in my honest opinion, doesn't seem to care about selling any EVO's in Canada.

The price is by far not my only complaint, however I will not spend $40,000+ for an EVO. However I have NO problems spending that on a 135i. The two cars are comparable, and I believe they are direct competition, however I also believe that the 135i beats the EVO in almost every aspect.

How about you, are you going to be ordering one. I'm not sure when I will order one, could be next week could be next year. I sort of have a bad case of car ADD, so when ever I get bored with my truck I will bite the bullet and take a drive down to Birchwood.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

I've driven the red 135i at Birchwood once but there was still some icey spots on the ground and the high-performance summer tires were short of amazing. For this reason, I didn't get to really test the car as I'd like to.

On April 26th, I have 6 test drives scheduled and I'll buy whatever car I like best. These cars (in order of interest) are:

135i
G37
335i_________________
Audi TT
Saturn Sky
VW GTI

I'd really only consider buying a car above the line.

The reason the GTI is in there, is really just to see what all the fuss is about handling-wise and the reason for the Sky is just to kill an hour's time at Pointe West. Its about 20 mins from my house so I didn't really want to drive home, then have to drive back right away.

Let me know if you order one!

P.S. Dibs on Le Mans Blue!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

I was thinking sometime this week I would go down to Birchwood. Your list is impressive. I am a big fan of the G37, I was also looking at the 335i however quite honestly there is just something about it I am not crazy about. I can't really even understand it myself, however since the first time I saw one, I have never loved the look of the car. I like it, but not love it. But the 1 series I fell in love with.

You can keep the blue, Love it, but nothing imo can touch black. Every car I have owned other then first car, has been black. Of course until lately my truck has been a nice shade of salt grey! But then BMW makes my choose again between the blacks. I think I will have to see both side to side to truely get a feel for which one I want more.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordmcmillan123 View Post
I was also looking at the 335i however quite honestly there is just something about it I am not crazy about. I can't really even understand it myself, however since the first time I saw one, I have never loved the look of the car. I like it, but not love it. But the 1 series I fell in love with.
You took the words right out of my mouth. A good friend of mine has a 335i (lowered, CSL rims, chipped etc etc.) and its a really nice car but it just isn't quite the same...and I have no reason not to like it. Weird!

If you have any other options of cars I should test out, let me know. I want to make sure I give everything a chance to impress me!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

I have always geared my car buying based primarily on perfomance. Which is why I was looking at the EVO. If the EVO was better priced, then I would already own the black one at waverley Mitsubishi. when I'm looking at this price range, where do you get more for you money, Mitsubishi, or BMW?

But out of your list, I would choose the 135i, however I have never taken a good look at the G37's. And from what you have said, I would think your choice is kind of between those two. But you can not go wrong with either one. Truely I would simply spend a fair amount of time in both and choose which one gives you the better "feel". However depending on options I think the 135i may be cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the G37 starts high $40,000's. of course I could be completely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the G37 starts high $40,000's. of course I could be completely wrong.
Not at all, the G37 starts at $47,350 and with the sports pack, its $49,950!

135i:
$41,700 (MSRP)
+ $1600 (M Sport Package)
+ $750 (Comfort Access)
+ $800 (Metallic Paint) _
= $44,850

$5,100 difference between the 135i and the G37S!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

Really! I may have to go see one of those as well. Damn you, How dare you cause me to think! I just need to stop looking at cars, every time I think I find the car that can cure my car ADD there comes the next one I want.

I also thougth more about why I don't love the 335i, I realized what other car it has many styling cues similar to. The newer accords. From certain angles I think they do look fairly similar. But again, that could just be me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I realized what other car it has many styling cues similar to. The newer accords. From certain angles I think they do look fairly similar. But again, that could just be me.
This is very true. I was embarassed at myself for mistaking an Accord for a 3-series on the road and my co-worker told me a few days later that he did the same thing! I think that they really copied the 3-series' belt-line.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

And I know what you mean about the "car ADD". I believe I have it too, but for the past few years, this 1-series has always been in the back of my mind. Other cars came and went but I've really stuck to this one and I genuinely hope it impresses me next Saturday. Only time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #13
AzCanuck
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBoy View Post
Hey, just wondering if I've got any fellow Manitobans on here. So far, it looks like I'm the lonely one. Please chime in!

Hey guys.

Not from 'Toba but next door in Sask. Don't have the 1 series but am slowly mulling it over.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
AzCanuck
Rep
Drives:

Birchwood

How do you guys find Birchwood to deal with? I was pretty close to buying a 3 series a couple years ago before I bought my current car and they were pretty good to deal. Patrick is a pretty good guy to work with; more of a car guy than a sales guy which I find great when dealing with a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

So far, I find Birchwood to be very fair and they're not too snobby (that's what turns me off the most when buying a car). As I said earlier, I'm testing a bunch of cars on the 26th. The 335i and 135i are the last two I'm testing so we'll see how that process goes! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

I haven't gotten there yet, but I have heard good things about birchwood. It seems to be the only luxury dealership in this city, that will treat people with respect. if you go to mercedes, I have heard stories of people going in there to buy a car, not even needed any salesmans to talk them into it, all they needed was a saleman to write it up. However they walked out with out getting the car they wanted simply because they were treated with such disrespect, they would never give that dealership their hard earned money.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
BrownBoy
1Addict
Rep
Drives:

Oh, I have a good one for you guys! The following is a conversation between me and Auto Haus Porsche (660 Pembina Hwy) when I was booking all of my test drives:

Me: "Hi there, my name is Adam and I'm very interested in a new Porsche Boxter."

Salesman: "That's good, so are you going to come down to the dealership and place an order?"

Me: "I'd like to, yes, but I would definitely like to get a little bit familiar with the car before I placed an order"

Salesman: "Of course, we have one all opened up in our showroom"

Me: "Great, would I be able to test drive it?"

Salesman: "Absolutely not, why do you want to test drive it anyways? It's a Porsche, it'll drive like a Porsche!"

Me: "I suppose, what about a used model?"

Salesman: "Same thing, it's a Porsche. Why would it drive any different?"

Me: "I think I've heard enough, thank you."

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

wow, you gotta love dealerships.

"it drives like a porsche!" what if I have never driven a Porsche? How do I know what a Porsche drives like! I can't believe anybody would buy a car with out test driving it.

I walked into the waverley mitsubishi to look at the EVO, and I sat down with the salesman and talked about numbers, I wasn't going to pay that for an EVO, but I thought if the test drive really impressed me I would think about it more. Then they said flat out, "you can test drive it when you sign to buy it." Of course my response was to say thanks but that doesn't work for me. I got up and walked out. I talked to them the next day over the phone, and again they were still saying that I can not test drive it. So I just said that is a horrible way to try an sell cars, especially a car that no one in canada has driven.

Of course at the time they were saying that If I want the car I have to buy it today, because they have already had people that are going to their bank to work out details. Which was a lye, this was two months ago, and it is still sitting there. They also to this day will not negotiate the price at all. Seems like they almost do not want to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
wow, you gotta love dealerships.

"it drives like a porsche!" what if I have never driven a Porsche? How do I know what a Porsche drives like! I can't believe anybody would buy a car with out test driving it.

I walked into the waverley mitsubishi to look at the EVO, and I sat down with the salesman and talked about numbers, I wasn't going to pay that for an EVO, but I thought if the test drive really impressed me I would think about it more. Then they said flat out, "you can test drive it when you sign to buy it." Of course my response was to say thanks but that doesn't work for me. I got up and walked out. I talked to them the next day over the phone, and again they were still saying that I can not test drive it. So I just said that is a horrible way to try an sell cars, especially a car that no one in canada has driven.

Of course at the time they were saying that If I want the car I have to buy it today, because they have already had people that are going to their bank to work out details. Which was a lye, this was two months ago, and it is still sitting there. They also to this day will not negotiate the price at all. Seems like they almost do not want to sell it.
Used to be the same with the STI. Test pilots were flooding the showrooms.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
oooLz
Rep
Drives:

+1 Manitoban here!
Are any of you the one who bought the red demo in Thompson? I went down to test drive it but it was sold. I test drove the 128i instead and was still blown away!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #21
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

So how were the test drives yesterday? What was your choice?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
gordmcmillan123
Rep
Drives:

There will always be test pilots that just go to drive the shit out of the new cars. Like when the SRT-4 came out, that black one at Eastern. I feel so sorry for who ever bought that, that car was the town slut, everyone got a ride! And everyone rode her hard!

However when someone comes in talks to them for 3 hours. Is pre approved. Has all the info filled out, all he has to do literally is sign, and the car is yours, not allowing a test drive under those conditions, I do not agree with.

I do agree with them, if someone comes in off the street and simply says they want to test drive the car, I would say no also, however in my situation I would be throwing the keys at the person.
Appreciate 0