E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Waxing /Polishing / ZAINO Experts needed

05-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
byoo79
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Waxing /Polishing / ZAINO Experts needed

Long story short...

I ended up with the dreaded Bird Poo that somewhat etched into my clearcoat. I had some leftover Meguiars 3 Step Cleaner / Polish / Wax that I was hoping would do the job of removing the etches.

I first applied the cleaner with a soft cotton cloth, followed by the polish, and ended with the wax.

It actually got out the etching of the bird poo, but in VERY DIRECT sunlight you can see faint scuffs in the area I applied it. Under normal light conditions, its almost impossible to detect.

I may have pressed a little too hard to these areas, and I read that Meguiars 3 Step is somewhat abrasive. Is it possible that I scuffed all my clearcoat away in those areas? I managed to apply it to small areas with medium pressure for about 10 secs each.

Of course me being the perfectionist that I am, I want to remove these faint scuff marks. I just ordered my full ZAINO kit and I am hoping that it will do the job.

I have heard that ZAINO is excellent in removing swirls and light scratches as well as enhancing the overall appearance of the paint. I am excited to put it on this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
byoo79
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

anybody?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

I doubt that you burned through the clear coat with those products by hand. If the clear coat is damaged, then it was the bird poo itself that did it. You can try some Meguiars Scratch-X on the area, or wait for your Zaino. I beleive the only Zaino product that truely removes swirls and scratches is zpc.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoo79
anybody?
I got hit by a bird a while ago.

Zaino Z-5 took out the scratch. You need to do about 3 coats and it takes the better part of a day because of the drying time, but it's worth it.

I finished up with Z-6 and Z-8. The car looks fantastic. Good luck!
      05-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

you will need a fine polish like poorboys ssr1, Menzerna Final Polish II or something similar. Use a microfiber applicator. Zaino zpc will most likely remove it but i find it alittle harsh at first. You need to make your you break it down well. z-5 does not remove swirls or scratches it hides them!!!!!

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

I have used the Zaino products on my new E90. The Z5 for is good for swirls. Like most filler waxes, it does hide the swirls but after 2/3 coates it looks great. The Z-PC will work but as advised earlier, be careful as it is an abrasive wax and must be followed up with Z5 or Z2.

I have used the clay bar by Zaino followed up by Zaino waxes on an older Civic with great results but I would be hesitant to use a clay bar on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

The problem is with your technique. Did you just apply paint cleaner, polish and wax to that area? If you did, what your are seeing is the difference in the nicely polished area to the surrounding not polished area's.

Wash the car, use the 3 step system on the entire pannel (so the WHOLE bonnet/hood or a WHOLE door). In this scenario, you won't be able to see where you polished out the birdpoop as the whole pannel will look the same!

I have never tried Zaino products, as they do not supply them here in South Africa.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

did you use a PC with the z5 application? I'm thinking of buying a bottle of z5 as a just-in-case, but if it requires the purchase of a PC as well, then I'll hold off for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJJ3399
I got hit by a bird a while ago.

Zaino Z-5 took out the scratch. You need to do about 3 coats and it takes the better part of a day because of the drying time, but it's worth it.

I finished up with Z-6 and Z-8. The car looks fantastic. Good luck!
      06-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Z5 does not require a PC. I find it easiest to apply it by hand with a MF applicator.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
did you use a PC with the z5 application? I'm thinking of buying a bottle of z5 as a just-in-case, but if it requires the purchase of a PC as well, then I'll hold off for a while.
A PC is most helpful when using an abrasive polish such as zpc. As stated before, Z5 does not really remove swirls but rather hides them. No PC needed for z5.
Appreciate 0