BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
El Diablo
Got n54 ?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i / 328i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Canadian USB audio integration

I have the premium sound system and the car came with a USB Male / female cable like this;

How to you connect your Ipod to your car with this cable ??? I don't think i have the good cable...

BMW Canada sell the premium sound system with the USB integration but if i want to connect my Ipod, i have to buy another cable from BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yup, in order to connect your ipod and control it through the steering wheel, you'll need to get a hold of the bmw ipod cable. The cable they gave you is just a USB extension cable .... not really good for connecting to anything.
      05-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

The iPod cable is a Y cable. One connector is the dock connector and I believe the other is the 1/8th inch mini jack like your headphone plug.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

and we have to PAY for that as well?
my SA said I didn't need to pay for that because it was "included" in the premium sound. So when it doesn't come, I will demand it, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yep, you have to pay extra for it. I believe it's around $130 if you can believe that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

mmm, well they mislead me then, so they will have to throw it in.
why do we have to end up fighting our dealers over petty things (engraving, floor mats, this, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

raisemyrent,

I could not agree more.
I think they do this so we don't focus on MSRP and trying to lower that.
No matter how you slice it... The idea that USA and Canada both get their cars from the same source, and yet we pay much more for almost exactly the same thing is painful to say the least. Exactly! Why they still manage to muck around with the petty things is really putting grime over the SA experience.
I really think this is why it's so important that we all speak up about our dealerships, SA, and of course the cars. This will surely help all of us to focus on the things we can fight for.

There are still issues with my order too. I have yet to realize solutions my SA has promised. I do trust him but I am no fool; trust has to be earned. If "they" think that we can be treated badly, they forget the power of the internet. After I do get my car, I plan to write a review of the experience, not just the car. I am purposely holding back till I see how my SA does with the issues I have put in front of him. If he does well, my "trust" level goes up. If everything is "wait and see", "I tried, but no success" my trust level goes down. That is how it's done. This is not how we the customers wanted it, it's how they set things up.

We the members of 1addicts are in 2 camps; "pre1car" and "post1car" I think we should support "post1car" as much as possible so they can possibly change our own orders . We can learn from their mistakes as well as their successes.

So in light of that...

My SA told me well before he was going to "throw" in the proper IPOD cable. He explained in Canada the cable is not just included, "normally" we have to pay for it. And I think he said it was over $100.00 CAD maybe $120.00 CAD or close to that. El Diablo I would fight for the right cable to be given to you free, along with an apology for the mix up.

If they give you a hard time, remind them how you will be writing to your fellow members here and your poor treatment. This will reflect on the dealership. If the SA is a pain, for sure speak to the manager. For such a high priced item (car), along with the fact we pay 10%-30% more than USA they really should be rolling out the red carpet every time.

BTW I think it is just a matter of time before BMW:Canada will lower the prices, especially when every other car manufacturer who imports to Canada have lowered their prices to be more in tune with USA. It’s a shame they did not do that before the 1. It happened on my last car... It will probably happen on this car.

Also we all watch TV, we see what the super cheap cars are now getting our “packages” included... much what we have to pay a premium for. Ouch.

Regards,

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It does blow that we have to pay for these extras and the price disparity between us and the US. But, you can forget about us having the same prices as the US. Unfortunately, our pricing is in line with the rest of the world. Check out what it costs to buy a 1 in Australia.

The US is getting artificially subsidized due to their size. I would love to have our MSRP somewhere close to theirs but it just isn't going to happen.

And, BTW, in BMW talk SA is a Service Advisor or the person you bring your car to for service. Your sales guy is referred to as a CA, Client Advisor.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

CA in Canada is a Chartered Accountant.
To become a CA, one has to get the degree at a University, work for a CA firm for 2+ years, as an apprentice, then go for the exam.
Then you are a CA.

to become a SA/CA I think you just have to;

HighSchool deploma is an asset, but may not be required. (depending on dealership)
Know someone who can get you into a BMW dealership
Sell CARS.
I think most BMW customers are quite well educated so it would be wise to hire people who are educated and have a personality. My SA is so far is excellent. But 99% of his work isn't done till I have signed the ownwership.
Keeping me happy, now, and after the sale will determine if I ever speak to him again. The last 2 salesman that sold me a car, make my blood boil. Lucky for me, I was able to make them jump through hoops, and that is not always easy to do. And I hated the whole experience. I like nice honest people.

As for Canada paying a higher price... Well I think there were be 3 factors that will change that.

1. BMW starts to loose the existing market share, due to other manufacturers lowering their prices.

2. They are stuck with inventory, and if they don't, they have no other method.

3. Customer pressure.

Note: How am I going to fit a comment about an IPOD cable in here? Hmmm SA should know about...wait I said that... Forgetaboutit... I will just have another Espresso... Now that would make a great MOD, espresso bar in the car...(not!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
It does blow that we have to pay for these extras and the price disparity between us and the US. But, you can forget about us having the same prices as the US. Unfortunately, our pricing is in line with the rest of the world. Check out what it costs to buy a 1 in Australia.

The US is getting artificially subsidized due to their size. I would love to have our MSRP somewhere close to theirs but it just isn't going to happen.

And, BTW, in BMW talk SA is a Service Advisor or the person you bring your car to for service. Your sales guy is referred to as a CA, Client Advisor.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
As for Canada paying a higher price... Well I think there were be 3 factors that will change that.

1. BMW starts to loose the existing market share, due to other manufacturers lowering their prices.

2. They are stuck with inventory, and if they don't, they have no other method.

3. Customer pressure.
Yes, those three will cause BMW to lower pricing but the problem is that you can't compare a Chrysler or even a Toyota to a BMW. Audi has not dropped pricing very much except for the models that don't sell and neither has Mercedes. The only one of the big four in Germany to drop pricing was Porsche and that's because they have astronomical prices already since they are the most profitable car company in the world.

The 1 series and the new M3 are new so I doubt these are going to drop soon, maybe in a year. Audi's S5 and R8 are sold out for 24 and 48 months respectively here in BC so those aren't moving down either.

As for point 3, that does work but hasn't so far. To screw with those of us who want to buy BMW's cheaper in the US they require a letter from BMW Canada in order to get warranty coverage. The letter costs you too because it requires an "inspection".

BTW, the CA "exam" you refer to is the UFE and you only get there if you pass your levels. And prospective CA's article not apprentice. Plumbers and electricians apprentice.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Lexus lowered their MSRP's... that will be additional pressure on BMW.
      05-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I guess for a certain portion of the market that's true.

Believe me, I wish they would lower their prices towards the US MSRP's too. The problem is sales are still fairly good because they keep producing compelling models.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
uid90283
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

so about that bmw cable... the 1/8" jack transmits the audio, and the USB is used for control? Has anyone compared the sound quality with just a USB memory stick, to the same file played through the BMW cable? I'm curious if there is a difference. If not, then i'll probably just spend the $130 on a big memory stick and keep my ipod @ home.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

I am not sure if people know about this so I will mention it..

Instead of getting a USB MemoryDrive, that is limited to what ever is in that unit... 1/2 gig whatever.. Plugging it in and out...

Consider getting SD memory with a "reader/writer" Once SD went over 2.0 GB they went to SDHC so it needed a new "reader/writer" so SanDisk includes it free with most memory, a value of $20.00.

If you already have a digital camera, I have a Canon SD950 and it uses SD memory. I picked up a SanDisk Ultra II 4.0GB with a micromate (memory reader) at Costco for $40.00CAD, early March 2008 (prices keep falling on memory). I can put in 32.0GB memory in it too (it's a bit pricey now, but give it a few months). So I basically have no limit (swapping memory cards). And because the memory was originally for my camera, the two units can share memory. I can store songs for driving... Go on a big trip, dump them to a hd, then use them for camera on holidays. It's also possible to use a USB hd. You can get enclosures for 2.5 hd and even the bigger 3.5. You might need more power so the lighter socket might be used. Once I get the car, I plan to try a bunch of things. I plan to post then. I just wanted to mention that now, for those buying solutions now.

I would love to have a wireless sound storage unit. I can from the comfort of my home, access my car hd, update it from my house/office/notebook. That would be cool!

EspressoBoy

PS
I noticed the thread about bad reviews has been closed. Hmmm. The comment about humans being different, I just wanted to point out we are not all lemmings, we all have our own idea what is good/bad and should not blindly follow. Enough said I guess since it's closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

It was closed because the topic had been beat to death on another post.
Search is your friend.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
It was closed because the topic had been beat to death on another post.
Search is your friend.

K point well taken, before I post a new topic, I should Search first. Very good point, old news is that...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

$130 for a cable is very expensive, BMW was overprice, can we get the cable from Futureshop?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

this cable is different from a typical iPod USB cable. It has the typical iPod connection on one end (to plug into your iPod) and the other end has a splitter of USB and a headphone jack to plug into the two jacks in the car. In the States, this is a standard accessory on the car; it's stupid that it is not included in Canada since basically the USB Integration option ($350) is 100 PERCENT useless without it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
USB Integration option ($350) is 100 PERCENT useless without it.
That isn't quite right since the cable the OP shows above can be used for any USB device including a USB flash drive that has mp3's on it. You just can't control a iPod without the iPod Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
That isn't quite right since the cable the OP shows above can be used for any USB device including a USB flash drive that has mp3's on it. You just can't control a iPod without the iPod Y cable.

Fair enough; the option is 100% iPod-incompatible without the purchase of the cable. Why is it that it is included in the US and not here?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

I asked my SA this very question. His response was, "We only provide it for people who need it" (own IPODS)

I have an IPOD, so he is giving me one at no aditional charge. I just realised that not every salesman would know about ipod cables, maybe it was a simple mixup. USB to a total non-geek would not know if that was Ipod cable.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #22
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It was good your sales guy gave it to you. I doubt mine will.

In the end, everyone's right, it should be given to us for free.
Appreciate 0