BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
M2point5
Private
Rep
Drives:

3M for rear wheels

In the first week of ownership and loving the 135i, but I noticed with the rear tires extending out of the wheel wells I'm already getting road rash on the lower back portion of the panel. Has anyone installed a 3M type product for the rear? As my car is Alpine white and won't see a ton of km's I'm not interested in bra kit. Is that area so simple anyone can do it or has someone found a kit? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

haven't seen that around, but you can take a look at installing mud guards

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I had 3M put behind each of the wheels, there aren't any kits for it, but its not expensive to have done, it cost me $100 for all 4. But I'd highly recommend it for anyone who lives anywhere that they gravel the roads.

I'll post pics if you like.
      05-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
M2point5
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
I had 3M put behind each of the wheels, there aren't any kits for it, but its not expensive to have done, it cost me $100 for all 4. But I'd highly recommend it for anyone who lives anywhere that they gravel the roads.

I'll post pics if you like.
I'd appreciate it. Thanks alot.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So its a little hard to see the film, and my car is a little dirty, but its there. The dust actually makes it a little easier to see the seam where the 3M ends though. So its behind each of the wheels where I started to see a little peppering. I had it done at one of the local shops and they had to custom cut the pieces, but its still very cheap.

On some cars people elect to have the 3M put in front of the rear wheel well as well if the body flairs out, I had to do this on my MK4 GTI and people have to do it on the new Imprezas, but the 1ers are shaped such that it doesn't look like rocks would hit that area.

Anyways, well worth the $100, looks better than the BMW mud flaps (IMHO), and probably cheaper too. I would seriously recommend if for anyone in Alberta or where they gravel the roads. If you've driven over gravel at all, have a close look at those areas and if you see a few small chips, imagine what they'll look like after one winter, or in a couple years.
Attached Images