BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

CF Spoiler Install using the Betalink Adhesive

I know there's an awesome video DIY already for the CF spoiler using adhesive tape, but I figured some of you would be interested in a Betalink guide. I wasn't originally planning on making this into a complete DIY--I just happened to take some pictures of the process, so please bare with me.

Before we get started, there's already a very good DIY over at e90post which helped me with my install. It's got plenty of good tips and pictures:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914

Parts List:

-135i CF Spoiler
-Betalink K1 adhesive kit which includes the following:
  1. Betalink Adhesive
  2. Sandpaper
  3. Adhesive Applicator Nozzle
  4. Spatula
  5. Betaclean Solution
-Painter's Tape (I would highly recommend using specifically Painter's tape for masking vs. duct tape/packaging tape
-Duct tape (for taping the spoiler down while the adhesive cures)
-Spring clamps (4 total; I would recommend using rubber tipped spring clamps--explanation down below)
-Rubber/Latex gloves

Picture of the Betalink kit:

Getting Started: Remove the old spoiler!

The first thing you want to do is to remove your old stock spoiler. JohnL135I's got a great DIY video of this already here so I'm not going to mention much about it. My only suggestion, as demonstrated by the video, is to "roll" the adhesive off. That's really the easiest way to get the old gunk off. Afterwards, just clean it up with your favorite adhesive remover (I used goo gone personally).

Test fitting the CF spoiler:

Be sure to clean off your entire rear of the car as you'll be taping/moving things. Don't want to cause any unnecessary swirl marks. You need to familiarize yourself with how the spoiler fits (trust me, once you have the goop all over the spoiler and set it down, you'll want to make sure it's down right).

So, in order to do this you'll want to put the spoiler on and secure it temporarily with some painter's tape. Then, you'll want to outline the leading edge of the spoiler with painter's tape on the surface of the trunk. (I don't have any pictures of this step but scroll down and you'll easily see what I mean). This allows you to easily place the spoiler as well as protect the trunk from excess goop that is going to leak out from underneath the spoiler. The best way to make sure the spoiler is fitted correctly is to look underneath and minimize the gaps between the trunk's natural lipped edge and CF spoiler:

If you really wanted, you could go ahead and tape off more of the surrounding areas of the trunk, especially at the tips. The adhesive does get pretty messy, and it definitely won't hurt.

Prepping the CF Spoiler

I will personally recommend masking the entire visible surface of the CF spoiler (that is, the surface that is not to be exposed to adhesive). In the least, mask the leading edge of the spoiler. This will definitely cut down on the amount of goop that gets everywhere.

Next, take the sandpaper included in the betalink kit and roughen up the underside of the spoiler.

CF spoiler before sanding:

CF spoiler after sanding:

After sanding, be sure to THOROUGHLY clean the underside of the spoiler with the included Betaclean solution. Also, now would be a good time to THOROUGHLY clean the surface of the trunk with the Betaclean solution.

Putting it on:

Glove up as it's going to get messy. A second set of hands will make things go much smoother at this point. Get the Betalink adhesive cookie roll, cut it, and stick it into the nozzle (just a note, the instructions say there's a 15 minute working time with the stuff). Slowly squeeze and applying the thick, black, tarry mess to the underside of the CF Spoiler. You can use the spatula to help spread the gunk, but I ended up just using my finger.

Tips for spreading the stuff: make sure you put an adequate amount, don't be shy, especially at the edged tips. I personally didn't put enough and they ended up not sticking first time around. I ended up using a little more than 3/4 of the entire tube.

Once you've got the junk on, SLIDE the spoiler into place, in a "rear of the car to the front of the car" motion, and make sure there's no big gaps on the underside like I pointed out earlier. Put pressure on the spoiler to ensure it lines up well, and make sure the edged tips are evenly spaced. Have your buddy eyeball it and confirm good placement. Then, have your buddy get the spatula and wipe away the excess goop that may have leaked out. Using a rag + betaclean solution + spatula is a good combo. It doesn't have to be perfectly clean as the goop can still be removed later. Just get the majority. Now have your buddy tape the damn thing into place using the duct tape.

Pictures:

Now if you do it like I did in the picture you're most likely going to end up with the lateral spoiler tips not sticking well to the trunk surface. They take a LOT of pressure to lay down correctly. So, stealing the idea from e90post, use some clamps. I recommend using RUBBER tipped clamps. I bought some cheapo clamps from walmart and ended up leaving very slight indentions into the clear coat of the spoiler.

Note that this picture is of my second go around as I screwed up the first time. And be sure to manually close the trunk latch so that the trunk light will turn off--you don't want it to be on for the entire time of curing:

EDIT: manually closing the trunk latch = literally moving the trunk latch from the open position to the closed position with your finger. This will make the trunk light stay off. To trigger open again, just use the key fob to "open" the trunk and the latch will resume into it's regular, intended, open position. This way you don't have to worry about taking out bulb, etc. AND you can leave your trunk wide open to let everything dry.

Per instructions, the car is not to be driven for 5 hours, and not to be washed for 48 hours. I waited upwards of 10-12 hours before touching anything.

Clean up:

Slowly take off the clamps and the duct tape, and then, finally the painter's tape. This is what mine looked like at this point:

You can see I had some gunk that fell through between the masked areas. After slowly removing the painter's tape it I was left with this:

No worries though. This stuff will come off fairly easily using the included spatula + Betaclean on a rag solution. Just work it off while frequently wiping with the Betaclean solution. I didn't have trouble removing any excess goop.

Final Product:

If everything went well, it should look like this:

'

Let me know if you have any questions.

More completed pictures here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...369#post144369
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

More pics of final product? :smile:
      05-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
adam135aoc
adam_txGarage
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 850CSi

man i love that spoiler! it just makes the car look that much better!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
More pics of final product? :smile:
I'll post 1 or 2 more up when I get back home :wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
H33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

nice man
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hmm this seems like a better solution than just 2 sided tape. Looks like I wouldn't have to worry so much about the spoiler coming off.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Hmm this seems like a better solution than just 2 sided tape. Looks like I wouldn't have to worry so much about the spoiler coming off.
Hmmm, I like this idea, for the long term this looks like the way to go. Does BMW stock this at the local dealership or do you have to special order it???

Thanks for the write up.....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
Hmmm, I like this idea, for the long term this looks like the way to go. Does BMW stock this at the local dealership or do you have to special order it???

Thanks for the write up.....
Not too sure...I ordered my spoiler from Tischer and he threw it in, free of charge (highly recommend them, BTW).

Here's the part number for it:

82 69 9 408 866
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

nice writeup!! please post more pics of your car with the spoiler. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice1 View Post
nice writeup!! please post more pics of your car with the spoiler. :w00t:

man, already added one more! Don't have any more decent ones on hand. :iono:

Tell you what. I'll do a shoot sometime after I get to wash the car as there really aren't a lot of decent real-life pictures of the spoiler. I'll just focus on the spoiler in the shoot. keep an eye out for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Thanks a lot Denial - top stuff!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #12
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Thanks denial! Excellent step-by-step. I'll be doing that this weekend! I'm thinking to outline the spoiler with masking tape so close that there's no paint visible, and then use Q-tips with Betaclean to remove any adhesive mess. Therefore, just after setting the spolier in place (and clamping the ends), then use the Q-tips to remove excess, then pull the masking tape. Use Q-tips once more to run along the seams, then tape the spoiler down. I think I'll also mask the upperside of the spoiler so that no matter what no adhesive finds its way there.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm thinking to just remove the trunk bulb so the trunk can remain open enough for the clamps to work.

All I can say is I hope this sucker stays put as by the end of the month I'll be putting some serious wind pressure on it!
      05-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
man, already added one more! Don't have any more decent ones on hand. :iono:

Tell you what. I'll do a shoot sometime after I get to wash the car as there really aren't a lot of decent real-life pictures of the spoiler. I'll just focus on the spoiler in the shoot. keep an eye out for it.
awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Thanks denial! Excellent step-by-step. I'll be doing that this weekend! I'm thinking to outline the spoiler with masking tape so close that there's no paint visible, and then use Q-tips with Betaclean to remove any adhesive mess. Therefore, just after setting the spolier in place (and clamping the ends), then use the Q-tips to remove excess, then pull the masking tape. Use Q-tips once more to run along the seams, then tape the spoiler down. I think I'll also mask the upperside of the spoiler so that no matter what no adhesive finds its way there.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm thinking to just remove the trunk bulb so the trunk can remain open enough for the clamps to work.

All I can say is I hope this sucker stays put as by the end of the month I'll be putting some serious wind pressure on it!
Yeah, ideally the key would be to outline it so there's no visible paint. But it's easier said than done. I tried to do that, and had it perfectly aligned until I was in the midst of the gooping process. I'm not sure why but I just ended up with a gap after I was putting all that pressure down on it. Try to refit one more time after sanding just to make sure, and put some pressure on it (as if you were trying to make it stick). That's probably why I developed a slight gap.

As far as Q-tips, that might work. But the goop is THICK and TARRY and STICKY. What might end up happening is the fluff from the q-tip might come off and stick to the goop (which would suck). Just have an old terry cotton rag on hand as backup (don't want to be running to and from while the goop is drying).

Yeah, I would definitely mask everything. Just makes it easier, allows you to put more goo everywhere with ease of mind. Plus painter's tape comes off real easy anyhow.

Instead of removing the trunk bulb, just manually place the trunk latch in the close position, artificially. Takes literally 2 seconds and the light turns off. When you're ready to close the trunk after everything's done, dried, and clean, just "open" the trunk with the key fob so the latch will unlatch itself and then you're back to normal (otherwise you'll be attempting to close the trunk onto an already closed latch). Easiest way hands down. Hope that made sense.

EDIT:

oh, and one more thing. When the Betalink dries, it tends to dry as a rubbery, semi-hard mess (at least on the surface of the paint). Honestly the best way to get it off is using the spatula + Betaclean solution as it really needs to be lightly scraped off. You'll see what I mean.

Be sure to post back with your results/techniques so we can make this easier for everyone!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
ArBrnSnpr
Private
Rep
Drives:

Good DIY!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guy for the info...I got the old spoiler off and everything cleaned up, but the kit I got didn't have any betaclean in it so I'm waiting for a new kit...I'm glad that happened, after the fact, because of your great pointers for applying the adhesive and masking the whole spoiler...I can see where that could become a real fubar....Thanks again for the help...:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Nice DIY. More completed pics please.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Great...another item I have to purchase for my 1er LOL

Nice Job!!
      05-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjockey View Post
Thanks guy for the info...I got the old spoiler off and everything cleaned up, but the kit I got didn't have any betaclean in it so I'm waiting for a new kit...I'm glad that happened, after the fact, because of your great pointers for applying the adhesive and masking the whole spoiler...I can see where that could become a real fubar....Thanks again for the help...:biggrin:
Yeah, there's no way in hell I would do this install without the Betaclean...:wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #20
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Nice DIY. More completed pics please.
More pics to follow this weekend. There was a flash flood here recently so no time to clean the car. I'll either post the photos/post a link when they're up.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #21
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As promised, some more pictures here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...369#post144369
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #22
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Thanks for the write up. I just put this on my car and I have to say that I would have probably had to do it twice if I hadn't read this first and been prepared.

Damn that stuff is a huge mess!
Appreciate 0