BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
imported_LiveFast135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Racing/Class Restrictions

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole idea of organized racing. I was wondering if a modified car could still be eligible to participate in such events, or which mods would not allow you to run? Different mods/different races, etc. Thanks in advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
brakefade
Rep
Drives:

There is a class for every car regardless of mods.

In SCCA stock class, you can change exhaust from the cat back, run any wheels that are the same width & diameter as stock, any shocks that fit to the stock mounts (no more than double adj and no remote resevoirs except if oem), any front sway bar, any air filter, any brake pads, any DOT approved tires and any fluids.

After that the car could go to street prepared or possibly street touring (currently twin turbo cars aren't allowed but may be in 09).

Rules are available online here:

http://scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

Or let us know what mods you have and we can help you figure out your class.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
imported_LiveFast135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

+Million! Thanks so much... I'm considering a 135i, and if I go ahead with the purchase, I plan on racing it, but was wondering if modding it would keep me out of tracking it.... Thanks so much for the quick reply...cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 330ci ZHP

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Dude, Where in Jax are U? I live near Racetrack rd and US1.......were you at Gainsville last weekend? in Buccaneer SCCA? I ran the Forester in HS while waiting on my One....
Rick

BTW - LiveFast, I echo what he says - and just to add the 135i AND 128 are classed in DS right now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakefade View Post
There is a class for every car regardless of mods.

In SCCA stock class, you can change exhaust from the cat back, run any wheels that are the same width & diameter as stock, any shocks that fit to the stock mounts (no more than double adj and no remote resevoirs except if oem), any front sway bar, any air filter, any brake pads, any DOT approved tires and any fluids.

After that the car could go to street prepared or possibly street touring (currently twin turbo cars aren't allowed but may be in 09).

Rules are available online here:

http://scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

Or let us know what mods you have and we can help you figure out your class.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFast135i View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole idea of organized racing. I was wondering if a modified car could still be eligible to participate in such events, or which mods would not allow you to run? Different mods/different races, etc. Thanks in advance guys.
Could be wrong but I doubt you really want to "race" the car. Try some HPDE events first. In Florida Chin Motorsports, NASA, SAFE and others offer programs at Moroso, Homestead and Sebring--well organized, good instructors and run groups based on experience/speed. I'm sure NASA has a local chapter in your area.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
brakefade
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTRex View Post
Dude, Where in Jax are U? I live near Racetrack rd and US1.......were you at Gainsville last weekend? in Buccaneer SCCA? I ran the Forester in HS while waiting on my One....
Mandarin...

No, I went to the Corvette Club autox in St Auggie last weekend instead. Only 20 min drive to the site, 10 runs, no working and still only $30.

I run an s2k...I won't be ordering a One until the dual clutch tranny comes out. I'm ready to start using technology introduced in F1 20 years ago. :biggrin:

I'd love to take a ride in yours when it comes in though.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
imported_LiveFast135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys .... And I would like to track the car, not really race it competitively across the country, if I do end up getting the chance to own one.

And brakefade... are you sure they are introducing the dual clutch for the one series?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Depending on when they sanction the 135i for SCCA Touring classes (an SCCA member has to submit, then has to get approved), the car is legal for BMW Club Racing now :smile:

I doubt very seriously that the SCCA will allow the car to be very competitive (unless driven by a pro driver) and the car is legal for H-Stock an H-Prepared or C-Mod for BMW Club Racing

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
brakefade
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFast135i View Post
And brakefade... are you sure they are introducing the dual clutch for the one series?
If they make one, I'm sure that they will offer it as a option on the 1. All the info says they are making one, so...
Appreciate 0