BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

does touchless scratch your car?

so, do those gas station or otherwise, touchless car wash centres end up in swirls and scratches on your beautiful but thin BMW paint? think BSM...

I assume the typical gyratory, gigantic mops do.

How about the "wand" wash centres?

I am after the best way to not damage my paint.

I found out the hard way that those oiled california dusters can create swirls...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

If its a true touchless wash, nothing should touch the vehicle except water. I see no issues with this type of wash.

If its a car wash you drive into and it washes the car(touch free), and then you slowly pull the car out under a huge air dryer I would recommend pulling the car off to the side after the air dryer and use a quik detail spray and microfiber cloth. (I use a quik detailer after every wash).

I would stay away from any car wash that has people drying your car for you with towels. Those things they are using will be your worse enemy, instant swirls/scratches.
      06-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

The good news is it uses a strong soap (a strong "base" for you scientists) and it loosens the dirt and "floats" it off. Thus it does not requiring heavy scrubbing/spraying to get the dirt off and should not create the dredded swirls. The bad news is it is a strong enough soap that it will take the wax off fairly quickly. JohnL135I's idea of the quick detail spray would prolong your wax's life...maybe add some spray on wax to your car after the wash?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I would NOT recommend a touchless car wash. The reason they can clean a car is they use High Pressure to blow off the dirt. The trouble with that is it will start to ruin your door seals and even blow the paint off your roundel emblem. Has happened to me. Twice ! No more.

Get 2 good wash mitts and use a spray wash. Rinse it often and have a sequence of washing. Bottom sides first, then switch to a second mitt for the roof hood and deck lid.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

I go to a touchless wash all the time unfortunatly because I live in a condo with no hose for water. They do a good job and i dont have any swirls or scratches. HOWEVER, because the damn soap is so harsh it etches the HELL out of my shadowline trim around the doors. I then have to polish, and wax it every time I get the car washed.
Appreciate 0