BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Ragenikon
Private
Rep
Drives:

Input Please!

Just picked the baby up on Tuesday and getting used to the new manual. Let me just say how much of a tease it is to PCD your car...push it to the limits on the track then take possession of your own only to be told to keep it under 4500rpm haha, empathy to everyone going through the break in period.

On to business though. Has anyone else experienced an odd rattle (sound like its coming from the trans itself) when pushing in the clutch in first gear? I've found it happens about 60% of the time and when depressing the clutch under 3500rpm. It just sounds terrible as if something is loose. :iono: Maybe I'm paranoid, but anyone else here with a manual hear this?
Black Boston Leather
Cold Weather Pkg
Sports Pkg
Premium Stereo
PCD June 3rd!

"The steering, the feel, the way you can adjust your line through the bend with the throttle. There is no other car made today in this sector of the market that gets even close. If you love driving, this is up there in a class of One."
- Jeremy Clarkson -

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

I'd take it in to the dealer ... I'll let others chime in, but mine doesn't do that ..

Oh .. btw ..congrats on the car!!

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Agree, the dealer needs to duplicate that rattle to make a diagnosis.
      06-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Does the rattle sound as if something is loose or would the sound be the shifting linkage. Mine makes linkage sounds which I initially perceived as a problem and now enjoy.:smile:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
JD135i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I have a rattle . . .

I will get a faint rattle if I rev the engine with the gearshift in neutral and the clutch pedal up. The rattle is most pronounced just as the revs change from increasing to decreasing. It's not loud at all, though. The rattle sound is not there when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

Had the car at the dealer for something else and asked about this - my clutch/tranny rattle sound was diagnosed as 'normal.' Others on the 335 boards have complained that the clutch in this engine/tranny is just noisy. My two prior Audi S4s didn't do this, though the Mustangs I had before that did. (No flames please, just observing!)

I don't hear the specific noise that the OP describes - which I gather is happening as he is moving away from a stop, or even when letting up the clutch pedal w/ the gear lever in neutral.

It may be a normal sound, but it can't hurt to have a dealer listen to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Ragenikon
Private
Rep
Drives:

First, thank you guys for responding, this is the first time i've had to use this site for 'help' and i appreciate it.

Let me see if i can explain it in a little more detail only because i'm not sure what linkage sound would sound like. From a stop, i push the clutch in, put in first...accelerate to around 3k...when i press the clutch in so i shift to 2nd there is a rattle sound coming from the tans (not 100% sure where from but it is def associated with the clutch/trans). I don't hear the noise with any other gear transitions either. When i get back into the states my CA told me to just make an appointment and they'll look at it...guess thats the best thing to do, just bring it in....
Black Boston Leather
Cold Weather Pkg
Sports Pkg
Premium Stereo
PCD June 3rd!

"The steering, the feel, the way you can adjust your line through the bend with the throttle. There is no other car made today in this sector of the market that gets even close. If you love driving, this is up there in a class of One."
- Jeremy Clarkson -

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Chicago1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you bring it in, let me know what you find out, because I've experienced the same thing. It only happens when the clutch is fully engaged and the car is moving. Especially noticeable in stop-and-go traffic when you're accelerating in 1st gear, then engaging the clutch quickly to coast or brake. I also notice it when I back into my garage and go up a bump-like curb when the clutch is fully engaged... however, if I have the clutch under load to accelerate and I hit the bump, it won't make the noise. I think it may just be some natural "play" in the transmission when the clutch is all the way in and you hit a bump or let off acceleration while quickly engaging the clutch.
:iono:
      06-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Ragenikon
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
If you bring it in, let me know what you find out, because I've experienced the same thing. It only happens when the clutch is fully engaged and the car is moving. Especially noticeable in stop-and-go traffic when you're accelerating in 1st gear, then engaging the clutch quickly to coast or brake. I also notice it when I back into my garage and go up a bump-like curb when the clutch is fully engaged... however, if I have the clutch under load to accelerate and I hit the bump, it won't make the noise. I think it may just be some natural "play" in the transmission when the clutch is all the way in and you hit a bump or let off acceleration while quickly engaging the clutch.
:iono:
Exactly man, it sounds like you're hearing the same thing i am. I am going to bring it in as soon as i'm back from my business trip, unfortunately i'm out for another two weeks but as soon as i get it in i'll let you know what they say.
Black Boston Leather
Cold Weather Pkg
Sports Pkg
Premium Stereo
PCD June 3rd!

- Jeremy Clarkson -

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Sounds like the throw-out bearing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
wrongprotocol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT, white

the only slight rattle i ever heard was just below redline in 1st gear - sounded like it was something in the dash though. i havn't heard it for a while though.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
J312
Monster of the Midway
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have the same noise when I accelerate at low RPMs. Please post what the deal tells you.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Ragenikon,
Did your CA fix the problem? I'm starting to experience the same thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
I had the same noise and thought it was a big problem but realized I was taking my foot off the gas pedal 2 soon...once I started holding the gas pedal just a tad longer the noise stopped
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

I have this loud rattle sound whenever I press down the clutch to shift from 1st to 2nd as well. Usually when accelerating. The same as sound if you don't press the clutch when turning off the car. I thought it's because of poorly shifting but sounds like some of you guys have it too.

Sometimes I hear it on other gears but mainly on 1st to 2nd because of less outside noise.

Anyone else hearing this? Is it me or the car?
      02-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Ragenikon... not just you but many others. Can we be a little more descriptive in our post titles. Many of us search by title only so we don't have to go through thousands of threads. 'Input Please!' has no search keywords. Thanks guys.
      02-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

I also have the same issue, but mostly when in reverse and push in the clutch quickly. There is a faint rattle coming from the trans area.
      02-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #17
cuizhuoyi01
EVO
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD135i View Post
I will get a faint rattle if I rev the engine with the gearshift in neutral and the clutch pedal up. The rattle is most pronounced just as the revs change from increasing to decreasing. It's not loud at all, though. The rattle sound is not there when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

Had the car at the dealer for something else and asked about this - my clutch/tranny rattle sound was diagnosed as 'normal.' Others on the 335 boards have complained that the clutch in this engine/tranny is just noisy. My two prior Audi S4s didn't do this, though the Mustangs I had before that did. (No flames please, just observing!)

I don't hear the specific noise that the OP describes - which I gather is happening as he is moving away from a stop, or even when letting up the clutch pedal w/ the gear lever in neutral.

It may be a normal sound, but it can't hurt to have a dealer listen to it.
I have the same noise when I rev up at neutral with clutch pedal up. If its normal what cause this noise??
      05-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
J312
Monster of the Midway
Rep
Drives: 128i

Did anyone figure this out yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J312 View Post
Did anyone figure this out yet?
+1.
This rattle/noise has been occurring more often lately...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenikon View Post
Let me see if i can explain it in a little more detail only because i'm not sure what linkage sound would sound like. From a stop, i push the clutch in, put in first...accelerate to around 3k...when i press the clutch in so i shift to 2nd there is a rattle sound coming from the trans
Yes, I used to get this too. It went away after about 3000 miles. The shifter gets smoother too, it doesn't clunk into place anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I definitly have the noise in my car also. With the windows down it can be quite noticable if its quiet outside. It does it going from 1-2 shift and if I do a 2-3 shift at low speeds I sometimes hear it also. I hope the sound is normal, I would describe it as a rattle down sound.
      05-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #22
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I have it on my 1 and had it on both my Cadillac CTS-V and my Volvo S60-R. The other forums call it the "parade clunk." Both were manually trannys and both were diagnosed by the dealer as normal. I haven't asked my Bimmer dealer about this one yet, but will once I get around to taking it in for a check up.

I don't get it that often so it doesn't really bother me much.