BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

I-Drive Sat Nav

Those who have it (the I-Drive Sat Nav), are you happy with it and how does it compare to, say, a Garmin Nuvi (or TomTom, Navman etc)? I'm using the Garmin Nuvi 260W which I think is brilliant as it is intuitive and I can add POIs such as red light cameras, speed cameras and so - can the I-Drive Sat Nav do this as well? Can you change the orientation of the map or scale in or out like you can on the others?

Thanks,

Phil
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_d View Post
Those who have it (the I-Drive Sat Nav), are you happy with it and how does it compare to, say, a Garmin Nuvi (or TomTom, Navman etc)? I'm using the Garmin Nuvi 260W which I think is brilliant as it is intuitive and I can add POIs such as red light cameras, speed cameras and so - can the I-Drive Sat Nav do this as well? Can you change the orientation of the map or scale in or out like you can on the others?

Thanks,

Phil
The Professional Navigation does have map orientation and a scale in and out just by depressing on the I drive control.It also has voice activation.
Also you have the option of arrow directions aswell as map direction on the same split screen.
There has been a website discussed on previous posts in the Aussie forum where you can add POI's.

I have only had the car 5 days and really havent had much time to really explore all the functions of the Pro Nav.
Now saying all this the Business Nav doesnt have all these functions.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Haven't used any of the portable Nav devices, but I'm loving the Pro Nav.

I think you'd be happy with the output / views etc. Does have pretty extensive list of POI's. As for Speed Cameras, I think a hack or alterante disc is needed.

It's not just the Nav though. All phone contacts sync with bluetooth. Voice activation is impressive. I can choose pretty much any name in my address book, and it'll recognise the correct person essentially every time. And I have a pretty "multicultural" list of names.

I also like the iPod integration (with the dock connector-USB/AUX plugs), with good screen real estate for playlists, albums, songs etc.

It's not completety fool proof though. For some reason my system reset itself today, and all my preset preferences, favourite buttons etc reverted to default. Annoying. Not sure if it's somehow related to my comfort access though. Sitting in the car, it wouldn't start because it didn't recognise the key in my pocket! Had to stick the fob into the dash! Terrible!

Will have to keep an eye on that one. Hopefully just a glitch due to a Sun Flare or Cosmic Realignment thingy.
      06-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

Thanks guys, and do you have to have the disk in the drive to use the Sat Nav? I test drove a 325 a while ago and wanted to trial the Nav but the dealer told me that the disk wasn't in the slot - not sure if he meant that the software hadn't been uploaded yet or whether the system needed the disk to function.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_d View Post
Thanks guys, and do you have to have the disk in the drive to use the Sat Nav? I test drove a 325 a while ago and wanted to trial the Nav but the dealer told me that the disk wasn't in the slot - not sure if he meant that the software hadn't been uploaded yet or whether the system needed the disk to function.

Phil
Yeh..The dealer supplies you with an updated disk which remains in the drive.
Appreciate 0