BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Suspension vs. Power Mods

OK, I'm going to come out and say it--the 135i is marginally too softly sprung and dampened in the suspension department for seriously robust mountain driving. Just my opinion. Having said that I believe those 135i owners modding the engine of their cars would be wise to spend some money not only adding power, but upgrading suspenion performance as well. You'll better be able to get the power to the ground in less than ideal pavement conditions. I'm thinking a set of Koni Sport adjustable shocks and matched pair of swaybars as the minimum investment for balancing performance and, yes, safety.

What is your viewpoint?
      06-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I certainly agree. It's a bit too boingy-boingy on uneven roads for my taste. I'd prefer something stiffer and more precise. I love my car, but I don't think that the suspension lives up to the power, so I'd bring that up to speed before trying to make it faster in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I tend to agree with you...BUT it depends on where you're driving the car most of the time. I have to drive for hours to find a curve, so I'm going to take care of the power mods first because I'll have more fun with that on a daily basis.

Once I've got a tune and full exhaust on, I'll do springs, shocks, and sways.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

Power is a given, but if you can't put it to the ground efficiently, its useless.

The 135 already comes with enough power, more power then most will even need.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
OK, I'm going to come out and say it--the 135i is marginally too softly sprung and dampened in the suspension department for seriously robust mountain driving. Just my opinion. Having said that I believe those 135i owners modding the engine of their cars would be wise to spend some money not only adding power, but upgrading suspenion performance as well. You'll better be able to get the power to the ground in less than ideal pavement conditions. I'm thinking a set of Koni Sport adjustable shocks and matched pair of swaybars as the minimum investment for balancing performance and, yes, safety.

What is your viewpoint?
Go for kw v2's. a little expensive but worth it.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

I agree. That's why I am in fact going with KW V2's as a first mod on my 135.

I'm used to a modified Cooper S, which corners like it is on rails. I can throw it into just about any corner at high speed and maintain total control. No squishy, wobbly feeling like I'm getting with the 135i during high speed cornering. The back end in particular feels bouncy.

I definitely want my 1er to get closer to my Cooper in terms of handling. The power is outstanding so not in such a hurry to add to that, although I have no doubt that that will be my next addition!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

I SO AGREE WITH YOU GUYS.

this car should have come with a little better tuned suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
scot1956
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I agree with you on the suspension being too soft. I put the TC Kline suspension on my car and it made a world of difference. I don't know if new sway bars are going to improve the cars handling ability much more. The coil overs reduced body roll to a minimal amount. I think the runflats are the limiting factor in improving handling now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Completely agree. I said the same thing the first time I drove the car. It's a good compromise for non-track sort of buyer, but those of us who drives enthusiastically are going to find it too soft. Question is, TC Kline's Koni's or KW V2???
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I think suspension will be one of my first mods, maybe followed by exhaust but call me what you like, I just don't know that I trust long-term reliability with the engine tuning options we have available with Dinan, SSTT, Juice Box, etc. The extra power would be nice but I think it is too high of a price for me in terms of potential engine and driveline issues later. I would much rather be able to corner like a mad man then have a crazy 1/4 mile time and corner like crap. If I can't put the power to the ground effectively, why have it? I know there are people that drive many long commute miles and never see anything sharper than an occassional on/off ramp but I think suspension is the one area BMW let us down. Stock gives the previous M3 and many other "sports cars" a run for their money in terms of speed and power and is plenty quick for me but read just about every review that compared it with other cars and the suspension is always the one thing that holds this car back from being a true king of the twisties. My only problem is that I don't have a local tuning shop to take my car to in order to drop a new suspension in...might have to go as far as Germany for that but it will ultimately be worth it in the end. If BMW would release their performance suspension then I could at least get that done at my local dealer, don't think they would do much with a KW V2 set-up. Anyway, just my 2 cents but I think suspension, for this car, is much more important then adding power (if I had to pick one or the other) as it is far from under-powered but grossly inadequate for much more than relaxing mountain touring with it's current suspension.
      06-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:

What is your viewpoint?
I concur with your assessment, although would choose different suspension bits. It's always better to make the car handle better before making it more powerful (same goes for braking). In fact, it's more than powerful enough. I drove to Nurburgring on Sunday for a World Superbike race and pegged it here and there along the way (where safe and legal). It gets to 155 mph quite nicely. Other than for racing/autocrossing applications, I can't see why more power is ever needed. More power (most options) go against fuel economy, reliability, and warranty and that's more reasons to leave well enough alone.
      06-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Completely agree, Mikeo. It was probably the first "weakness" I identified shortly after I took delivery:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=92802

I also agree with your assessment on upgrading the dampers (the KW coilovers look like a nice option) and perhaps the sways. I'd then look to the front tires, as I believe it is undertired up front.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Yes, my suggestion of Koni Sports and swaybars would be the absolute minimum. For those with a plump bank account KW, TC Kline, or AST coilovers would be the first class ticket.
      06-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I am hoping that the BMW Performance suspension will turn out to be worthwhile.
      06-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

I'm trying to get BMW Performance to test that suspension on my car so I can do a long term evaluation of it. And report the results here on 1Addicts, of course.
      06-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #16
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Balls,

Do I remember you saying that either the BMW dealer in K Town or some other shop in your area will install KW suspensions? I found only 1 place in Italy that sells but they are about as far away as K Town and I'd rather have my car worked on up there (Near Garmisch would be ideal but I know I can't have my cake and eat it too). Sucks that we don't have many tuning options down here. Thanks!

Have you run at the Ring yet in your 1er? I would love to get up there for a couple laps.

I agree with most here...suspension is the place to start in terms of perfromance mods. I'd love to know what BMW is including in their performance suspension. This car is plenty powerful for the street and the brakes are more than good enough for street use too.
      06-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to get BMW Performance to test that suspension on my car so I can do a long term evaluation of it. And report the results here on 1Addicts, of course.
Absolutely. If they need two cars...:wink:
      06-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #18
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike View Post
I'd love to know what BMW is including in their performance suspension.
According to Dan, at minimum dampers and swaybars. Possibily also bushings and control arms.
      06-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

The supension on the tii inthe photos definitely looks lower than a stock 135i. If that is the suspension BMW Performance brings out it should include springs I would guess.
      06-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yes, my suggestion of Koni Sports and swaybars would be the absolute minimum. For those with a plump bank account KW, TC Kline, or AST coilovers would be the first class ticket.
While I suspect that my robust mountain driving might be slightly more moderated than yours, I am interested in doing a suspension upgrade when my car gets here from ED. Having not gone down this path before (my E36 M3 stayed bone stock it's entire life on flat Texas roads) I assume I do searches on KW, TC Kline, and AST coilovers to find appropriate components and then take these to my local garage? Is it harder than this?

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
The supension on the tii inthe photos definitely looks lower than a stock 135i. If that is the suspension BMW Performance brings out it should include springs I would guess.
According to Dan , the springs will probably be required, but sold separately.
      06-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #22
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hmmm I would go with power/better MPG upgrade.. I cannot justify spending that much on suspension for daily driving when the sports package feels (good enough). I rather know at a stop light I'm leaving 95% of cars on the market in the dust : ) I'm just not huge on tracks, but if I was a weekend warrior doing circuits and Best lap times I would be all over suspension upgrade, To me Good rubber and the 1/4 is good enough.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0