BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

New to Performance Handling: Order in which to Upgrade

Hi All,

I'm a complete newbie to performance driving and performance cars in general. I know I need to practice a great deal before I'll get anywhere, but I also want to upgrade the car's handling characteristics at the same time as I'm learning.

What should I start off with in terms of modding the 1 for handling on the track? I've recently purchased KW v2 coilovers, because I wanted the lowered look, but also the ability to tweak to my liking and it seemed like the easiest solution. From that point, should I be looking at sway bars, camber plates, new tires, brakes, or something else? What order should I be buying them to match my progression on the track?

Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

In order to match your progression on track, keep the car stock for at least 2 track schools. :smile:

Learn your car, wait until you reach its limits - I can guarantee you won't do that in your first driving school. Most likely won't happen in your second school, either.

If you already bought the coilovers, go ahead and install them I guess. Ask the shop to set it up for a beginner and not too low, would be my advice. You don't want a hard setup initially on track, because the harder the suspension in general, the quicker it will let go when you reach the limit (with less time to react).

R compound tires and wheels should come way later, after brake pads & fluid and more suspension tweaking and lots more track driving. And with the adjustable nature of your coilovers, perhaps you won't need sways.

Again, this has been my experience - there are other far more experienced track people here, hopefully they will chime in.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
ucbsupafly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Before you start spending money on any go fast mods, attend a few track schools while the car is still in its stock form. Then as you progress, you can make minor tweaks until you are comfortable with the car near its limits. Finally, when you feel any aspect of the car is starting to hold you back from progressing further, you can then start replacing stock parts with better components.
Remember, in the world of high performance driving, the number one mod is improving the driver's skill level. It is by far the best bang for the buck.

P.S. I see that you are from Nor Cal, I presume bay area? First mod you need is a membership to BMWCCA. Then attend the Car Control Clinic should be your number one priority. I believe there's one coming up in July. It is also a prereq to attending high performance track school.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Skulinex
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '4 M3/'5 M3CS/‘18 M3CS /‘21M2C

Garage List
2015 Toyota 4Runner  [0.00]
2021 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
2004 M3  [10.00]
2005 M3 Competition  [0.00]
What ucbsupafly said, i couldn't have said it better
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

These guys are all on the right track (no pun intended). Before changing anything on the car, learn it in its stock form. Learn the limits and what the car can do out of the box- which I think you will find to be quite surprising. Once you have mastered the car, you can start with the coilovers.

I also recommend replacing the tires as the stock RFTs are terrible in terms of performance, grip and feel. If you are serious about the track, you may want to consider some R compounds. Otherwise, a street performance tire like the Goodyear Eagle F1's or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s would be more than adequate.

I also recommend upgrading the Sway bars and lightening the vehicle as further upgrades to improve the car's agility and track worthiness.

With all that said, I still think you should take some time to see what the car does from the factory. The 135 is built on a great chassis and a fantastic performer in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

First upgrade should be the melon behind the steering wheel. Your head! Driving schools or an HPDE with an instructor. If you can, get out on a real track sometime (i.e. not an autocross event).

I agree with everything you guys are saying, except for the R-comps. If you are going to R-comps you'll need to upgrade that suspension all over again. They're way to sticky for the damper valving and spring rates.

In order of importance:

1. driver education
2. tires/wheels
3. rear sway bar
4. front camber plates (can't get neg. camber for crap on these cars without them)
5. coilovers

Take a look at my build thread that's going on right now. We're 1 week away from the first shake down track day and running out of time quick!!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11907
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I agree with most every opinion offered so far, especially front camber plates, otherwise you will be chewing up the outside of your front tires at a fearsome rate.
      07-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Thanks guys for the responses! It looks like I have a lot of work cut out for myself before I really do anything serious.

However, this got me worried about my KW v2 coilover purchase. Should I keep and install them, or should I try returning them and maybe wait for v3's or something else in the future? Are the v2's "trackable"?

Appreciate all the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairex View Post
However, this got me worried about my KW v2 coilover purchase. Should I keep and install them, or should I try returning them and maybe wait for v3's or something else in the future? Are the v2's "trackable"?
Well, the coilovers are supposed to be an improvement over the stock suspension, and since that one is eminently trackable so should the KW...

Do a search - there have been some impressions posted with the KW V2, you might get your answer there.

Me personally I'd probably return them if possible (and no penalty). Spend the money somewhere else initially - wheels/tires, pads and schools themselves. Then when the time comes, I'd come back to a set of coilovers - except when you are at that stage, V2 may no longer be adequate...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

Learn to drive at the limits of your stock 1er first, this entails, as most have already said, a couple of track days. Only then will you have a feel for what your car and most importantly what YOU can do.

Most poeple jump the gun and think that blowing money left and right on the best of the best parts will make them faster, 99% of the time this is wrong. Getting the best coilovers, tires, wheels, etc won't make you faster, driving is more of a drivers games then anything, only when the driver has learned to drive to his limits then the car will take him to the next level.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

this car in stock form will have plenty to give a new performance driver. The car will not be the limiting factor at the track. If you don't believe that then hand the car over to an instructor and see how much faster the car can really go. :biggrin:

Run the car as is and get a feel for what it can do. Once you progress to the point where the car is holding you back, then start modding.

I have autoxed for years and my last car was heavily pimped (coilovers, camber plates, tires, sways, etc). I am going to run my 135 stock for the rest of this year to get a feel for what it can do. Next year will be tires. For there I will see what I (and the car) need.
Appreciate 0