BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
701C
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Rattle from the rear-seat area... and suggested fix

I've been reading this forum since last year and got my 135i coupe in March, but just joined because I haven't had anything particularly useful to say 'till now. I love the car, but have been frustrated by a few rattles that drive me nuts... but I think I tracked down one of the sources and at least this one is easily fixed. If anyone else has this problem, the following quick-fix is worth a try and it won't do any damage even if you don't (yet?) have the same rattle.

Symptom: over bumps or even just patched pavement, I would often hear a rattle in the rear passenger side area, sounding like a flap of plastic or something rattling against something else. Occasionally a similar sound would come from the rear driver's side, too.

Source: the release mechanisms (in the trunk) for the fold-down rear seats of the coupe have actuator cables that run from the plastic release latch, up through a hole in a sheet metal trunk stiffener, and on to the (buried) seat-latch itself. The cable is fairly stiff and in my car it was resting lightly against the edge of the hole... where I think it rattles against the sheet-metal.

Solution: buy some small diameter, soft vacuum hose or other rubber tubing, slit it along the length, slip it over the cable and push it as far inside the sheet-metal as it will go. You can cut it off just outside of the hole, or run it right up to the plastic latch housing. The problem seems to be gone... at least for now.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has a similar problem, and if so, whether this fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
I have had this noise from day 1... I haven't had a chance to bring it in the dealer.. I may try your technique and see if it fixes it...Good catch if indeed this works!
      07-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
F31TanzBlue
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 F31

I get that noise as well, mostly down to the rear headrests when they are locked flat; however there is till something rattling somewhere - I will take a look at those cables thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
701C
Registered
Rep
Drives:

bummer... (not so fast)

As with all annoying rattles, this one chose to completely disappear with my "fix" and then returned 2 days later. The release cables may well have been rattling, but that certainly wasn't the whole problem. By the way, I have also found that the headrests might be an issue when down, but raising them didn't solve the whole problem either. I may just remove them for a while to get rid of that potential noise source. In any case, I've also now put small felt pads under the handles of the seat release latches in the trunk just in case the handle is rattling, but I'm not sure if that is really it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

damn, i shall investigate too. I hate these annoying little rattles.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep

Garage List
i took the headrests out long ago...still makes the noise.
Any one actually taken it to the dealer?
      07-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Steve135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW didn't do much R&D on another car, I don't get it. I am so dissapointed with SO MANY problems I have read about a new car and so few sold.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve135i View Post
BMW didn't do much R&D on another car, I don't get it. I am so dissapointed with SO MANY problems I have read about a new car and so few sold.
Dont think it has a lot of problems considering its the first year for a new car!. Off course you read about some problems, since its often when people get them they write on a forum to get solutions for their problem...
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
spongeWorthy
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve135i View Post
sarcasm detector detecting.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep

Garage List
Well i found out what the rattling is. There is a hole in the middle of the rear deck. If you put your hand up through that hole you will feel a plastic box. this box vibrates against the metal. Put a peice of foam between the plastic box and rear deck. this will put just enough pressure on the box to prevent it from rattling.:thumbup:

After pissing me off for awhile i'm so happy i got this fixed without bringing it to the dealer
      03-03-2024, 11:15 AM   #11
wilsaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Rattlin sound

Hi there
New here ..just joined...a few minutes ago.

I too am experiencing the rattling sound. your post says there is a hole in the rear deck. Can you please clarify what you mean by "rear deck". Is it the floor between front and rear seats? Or is it the floor between rear seats and cargo area.
This sound is driving me crazy.
Thanks in anticipation of your reply.
Appreciate 0