BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

So I just increased my track pad options

With these...:biggrin:

Hmmm...I don't think it's gonna fit behind stock wheels

So I'm itching to put these in and was about to pull the car onto the lift when I got a call from Monica telling me not to . Apparently our friends at Eurotuner Magazine caught wind of our new acquisition and they want to do a tech article so now I have to wait until next week when they come out and do the article.

I'll keep you guys updated with my review on how they perform next week. These are the very first set made for the 135i. I believe Brembo will be releasing these very soon. They also will be releasing a rear big brake kit (4 piston) at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Why don't they just get somebody to make pads for the stock brembos? Seems to be a "thousands less" solution.

There's certainly enough of us 1er's tracking these things to warrant Hawk making a production run of a few compositions.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
natedog_1959
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus

Probably more like $2500-3500 less. I would think a 4 wheel kit would be north of $5000. Nate
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wow, you're up early or very late.

I'm sure the pad companies will eventually come out with them very soon. Big companies work very slow. Many employees and many areas were things can slow down. Plus, someone has to make the decision to start on the project and I'm sure they're working on other projects at the same time. We don't make brake pads so I don't know what goes into the process of it, but it may be that it takes time to develop. We've had our 135i since March and even though we've built a slew of parts for it, we have not released 1 product yet. In our case, we're still conducting testing with our race program and I am super anal about thorough testing to ensure perfection before releasing the parts to the public.

I guess we helped expedite the process with Brembo by starting talks with them very early. At the same time, I've been pushing our PR to push Brembo to hurry and get us the brakes before our events. Unfortunately, they showed up after our 2 time attack events which would've been our only 2 events of the year. Luckily, we qualified for the Super Lap Battle Finals in November so we get another chance to go back out this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Why don't they just get somebody to make pads for the stock brembos? Seems to be a "thousands less" solution.

There's certainly enough of us 1er's tracking these things to warrant Hawk making a production run of a few compositions.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Black (2015)

Haha Fred - I just followed up on this exact topic here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11873

So really, you don't think those will fit behind stock wheels? From a finance / timing side of things I was hoping to get the Brembo kit soon and have all my suspension and ECU mods done here, and put the brakes on too. Obviously I want to put new wheels and rubber on before my track time, but I don't need to arrange the timing with the shop for just wheels/tires.

Wow - this is looking like quite the cost. ECU, coilovers, sway-bars, wheels + tires, and now brakes. $13,000 could hit pretty easily. Brakes is the one area I was most hoping to not need to upgrade but not sure that is practical given the pad issues, especially wrt swapping pads. Ugh.

Sure hope you can at least get the Brembos under stock wheels (was hoping to keep stock wheels for winter and as a spare on long trips.)

Previous (all 6MT): Dinan 135i, E46 M3, 2007 Porsche GT3, 2012 Cayman R, 2003 Carrera 4S, 2001 Gemballa Boxster S, and some Audis.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

From the looks of it no, but I'm still going to put the stock wheels on and see if it fits. I do recall the Brembo techs mentioning something about not fitting the stock wheels though. I do have the cross sections from Brembo if you want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timt View Post
Haha Fred - I just followed up on this exact topic here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11873

So really, you don't think those will fit behind stock wheels? From a finance / timing side of things I was hoping to get the Brembo kit soon and have all my suspension and ECU mods done here, and put the brakes on u too. Obviously I want to put new wheels and rubber on before my track time, but I don't need to arrange the timing with the shop for just wheels/tires.

Wow - this is looking like quite the cost. ECU, coilovers, sway-bars, wheels + tires, and now brakes. $13,000 could hit pretty easily. Brakes is the one area I was most hoping to not need to upgrade but not sure that is practical given the pad issues, especially wrt swapping pads. Ugh.

Sure hope you can at least get the Brembos under stock wheels (was hoping to keep stock wheels for winter and as a spare on long trips.)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Looks like that kit isn't going to make it any easier to get the pads out compared to stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the offer - but I would be more than happy to just hear your results of trying to slap the stocks over top. Crossing my fingers!

Looking at the rear brakes they do seem to be easier to access the pad - although I haven't tried to actually remove them since I have nothing to replace them with If they are not too bad, and the market will bring racing pads soon enough, I may go with a front big break kit from Brembo and leave the rears alone. That with some new fluid could go a long way and keep things simple - while saving some green.

But yeah, if the stock wheels won't fit over that will really stink. Makes it harder to sell the car, or use the stocks for winters or as spares.

Previous (all 6MT): Dinan 135i, E46 M3, 2007 Porsche GT3, 2012 Cayman R, 2003 Carrera 4S, 2001 Gemballa Boxster S, and some Audis.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Looks like that kit isn't going to make it any easier to get the pads out compared to stock.
With calipers that big, you don't want them to be easy to change. Any easy change out the back of the caliper would mean to centre bracing, and that would equal a lot of flex in the caliper, and bad braking feel and application.
      08-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep

I believe (I'm no expert) that both the Brembo and Porsche brakes still had plenty of torsional strength by simply keeping the hole out the back big enough that when the pins are pulled you can rotate the pad and pull it out the narrow way. Pretty simple. But like I said, maybe I'm missing something.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

I think you can make a business out of this.
      08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Fred, I hate you.

For those who suggest that Fred just get pads made, don't forget that this brake is much bigger, so it will have greater stopping power! Unfortunately I don't have the budget that Fred has, so I will have to wait till someone like Pagid release some new pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hehe, I know I'm lucky.

Yeah with bigger rotors you get more mechanical brake torque.

If you only knew what kind of budget I'm given to build a competitive race car, you'd laugh. These brakes were a full sponsorship from Brembo so it didn't cut into my tiny budget. Now before everyone starts calling Brembo, they don't give out full sponsorships. We were told that in the last 3 years, they've only given out 2 full sponsorships (one of them us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Fred, I hate you.

For those who suggest that Fred just get pads made, don't forget that this brake is much bigger, so it will have greater stopping power! Unfortunately I don't have the budget that Fred has, so I will have to wait till someone like Pagid release some new pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
These brakes were a full sponsorship from Brembo so it didn't cut into my tiny budget. Now before everyone starts calling Brembo, they don't give out full sponsorships. We were told that in the last 3 years, they've only given out 2 full sponsorships (one of them us).
Its nice to see the sponsorship go to a person in the 1er community. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I have pretty good info that Hawk is indeed working on pads for the 135i :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

I did a quick test fit today. I pulled the driver's side caliper out and put the Brembo's in. I didn't bolt it in as it was just a test fit. It looks like it may clear the stock rims, but it's very close. The photoshoot is tomorrow. I'll let you know for sure if it fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timt View Post
Thanks for the offer - but I would be more than happy to just hear your results of trying to slap the stocks over top. Crossing my fingers!

Looking at the rear brakes they do seem to be easier to access the pad - although I haven't tried to actually remove them since I have nothing to replace them with If they are not too bad, and the market will bring racing pads soon enough, I may go with a front big break kit from Brembo and leave the rears alone. That with some new fluid could go a long way and keep things simple - while saving some green.

But yeah, if the stock wheels won't fit over that will really stink. Makes it harder to sell the car, or use the stocks for winters or as spares.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:26 AM   #17
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Hurry up already Fred! Lol. Hey what are you going to do with the rears? Are they going to send you the 4 pot rear as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #18
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Installing them tomorrow morning. I'll take lots of pics.

Not doing the rears. Nope, I have to pay for the rears. Granted it's an insane discount, but my budget is TINY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hurry up already Fred! Lol. Hey what are you going to do with the rears? Are they going to send you the 4 pot rear as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep

Can't wait to see. Getting my new GTS-Rs with a little extra rubber put on today. Then heading off to Korea for a couple weeks. When I get back I hope to get the suspension done and really hoping there is a Brembo solution for sale by the end of Aug. (and that it fits under the stocks too.)

Appreciate 0