BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question The Common Man’s Guide to Bimmer Detailing

Hi gang,

I’m starting this thread in order to hopefully benefit not only myself (an admittedly passionate, yet largely uninformed, overworked, time-stretched bimmer owner), but also all of the other BMW car owners who, like me, also love their rides but simply don’t have the hours in the day, resources, knowledge, or all of the above to be able to complete a full scale, hardcore, regular detail regimen.

Now, I know that many of you will probably tell me that I’m being ridiculous, and that any good 1Addict will carve out the necessary time and energy in order to properly care for their car. Some of you will also probably argue that it simply does not take nearly as long as I’m implying to fully wash and detail on a regular basis. That’s all fine and good – points well taken. Today, however, I’m really just hoping that, out of the goodness of their hearts, one or more the board’s resident detail experts might be able to provide us mere mortals (with worries that in spite of the above listed arguments, being compulsive people by nature, it will simply just take too long to go all out on a regular basis) with a HIGHLY simplified, time-sensitive, super basic detail guide. Let me provide a quick overview of the factors that I would like to be considered in my request:
  • No driveway access (city boy here)
  • Maximum of 2 exterior details a year (leather care, etc. can be done more regularly and is less of a concern here)
  • Preference for as few products as possible (simplify, simplify, simplify)
  • ONLY mandatory detail procedures included
  • Step by step please

Tremendous thanks to all of those willing to participate in this challenge, from a devoted, but common in nature, 135i owner. :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

see the sticky right above your thread
      08-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

CBLW, i was in the same boat as you. Im not interested in spending 8 hours on a weekend polishing my car. So i asked around on e90post and got a few different answers and this is what i have ended up with.

1) Washing the car with Chemical Guys Citrus car wash

2) Clay bar'ing the car about every 6 months (using chemical guys clay bar and i did it when i first bought the car as well to remove rail dust)

3) Sealing the paint every 6 months (im using Chemical guys Jetseal 109)

4) I am also using ICE liquid polish with every 2nd car wash just for alittle added protection and because it is so super simple to apply.

If you use good quality car wash, wash mits and good technique (2 buckets ect.) you should be able to keep the scratches to a minimum and then there wont be a real need for machine polishing ect.

Goodluck
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
CBLW
Private
Rep
Drives:

Steven,

Thanks man -- it's nice to know that some sympathizes!! Do you take your car through automatic car washes in between details? I'm scared as anything of doing that, but I don't really see any other realistic options. If I spend more than 2 or 3 ENTIRE weekends a year working on my car, my girlfriend will seriously freak. lol I think that detailing is definitely a single cat's game.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

CBLW, if its a touchless auto car wash, it should be okay (Do not go through a car wash with rollers).

I would also look out for a decent hand car wash (Find a smaller place, not the assembly line kinda places). Check that they use decent microfiber towels for drying and that will probably be about as good as you can do in the situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
neteagle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc22 View Post

4) I am also using ICE liquid polish with every 2nd car wash just for alittle added protection and because it is so super simple to apply.
I purchased and tried ICE liquid polish (on my Dodge Ram first). Not happy with it...it did not last a week in the humid Atlanta weather.

I purchased Zaino and used it on my 1...works like a champ so far...even after only one coat...:biggrin:

'11 335i Le Mans Blue, Saddle, Dark Glacier, Manual, M-Sport, Premium, CA, Harman Kardon, Heated Seats, iPod, High Beam assist, 35% tint, Stone-X, BMW Performance Exhaust, Shadow Grill, CF competition spoiler
Appreciate 0