BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Post European Delivery car-wash plan

This is for the car-wash prior-to shipping drop off in Germany.

So i'm picking my car in about 6 days from now.
I packed the following:

2 3oz bottles of Meguiars Gold Car Wash

3 microfiber mitts (1 for roof/hood/trunk), (1 for sides, front/back), (1 for wheels)

2 buckets

2 microfiber towels for drying (this part i'm not of, do you think wringing out 2 microfibers will dry the car properly, i've never tried. Normally I use an absorb towel but in the interest of packing, I decided to go without.

I will attempt to find a self-car wash location in Munich or near Harms drop-off.

Let me know what ya think?
      09-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
not going to apply any wax/polish at all??

ahhh 6 days!!! i have been waiting .... so your car will be state side beg of nov?
      09-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
not going to apply any wax/polish at all??

ahhh 6 days!!! i have been waiting .... so your car will be state side beg of nov?
I srsly thought about doing it...but I have no idea how Wallenius Wilhelmsen/Harms, then BMW PDC then JMK BMW will treat the car throughout the shipping/redelivery process.

I've read theres some protective film thats sprayed all over the car during transport, or the car is left alone and transported, then sits in the rain at the PDC storage lot.

I would be willing to bring 2 bottles of Zaino but i'm not sure my wife would appreciate me taking 3-4 hours at the car wash was applying z1-3 :biggrin:

Optimistically, i'm shooting for Halloween!
      09-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
I srsly thought about doing it...but I have no idea how Wallenius Wilhelmsen/Harms, then BMW PDC then JMK BMW will treat the car throughout the shipping/redelivery process.

I've read theres some protective film thats sprayed all over the car during transport, or the car is left alone and transported, then sits in the rain at the PDC storage lot.

I would be willing to bring 2 bottles of Zaino but i'm not sure my wife would appreciate me taking 3-4 hours at the car wash was applying z1-3 :biggrin:

Optimistically, i'm shooting for Halloween!
New cars get the cosmoline protection. ED cars do not receive this same treatment. ED cars are sent over just the way they're dropped off. You can get away with one large microfiber drying towel *IF* you take the car for a short drive before you dry it off (maybe from the car wash to drop off?)

As for the rest of your plan, I would highly suggest scaling down a bit. It may not seem like much now, but when you're lugging the suitcases around you'll start to question your packing.

I think 1 bucket, 2 mitts (You can use a dirty mitt to clean the wheels or a white t-shirt) (2) 3oz bottles of soap, and a micofibre drying towel should be enough.

The car will sit outside for a lot of the redelivery process (other than the boat over). The Performance Center doesn't have inclosed parking so the cars will sit outside. Then a day or so before your PCD date, they'll wash/detail it, and bring it to the "staging area" where it's then kept indoors until you take it.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
buckets!!! LOL. Frank, take your V1 and dont stress out about the wash! You can wash it all you want when you get it back here. Enjoy your trip though buddy!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungE30 View Post
This is for the car-wash prior-to shipping drop off in Germany.

So i'm picking my car in about 6 days from now.
I packed the following:

2 3oz bottles of Meguiars Gold Car Wash

3 microfiber mitts (1 for roof/hood/trunk), (1 for sides, front/back), (1 for wheels)

2 buckets

2 microfiber towels for drying (this part i'm not of, do you think wringing out 2 microfibers will dry the car properly, i've never tried. Normally I use an absorb towel but in the interest of packing, I decided to go without.

I will attempt to find a self-car wash location in Munich or near Harms drop-off.

Let me know what ya think?
I think you are going to get stopped by customs and it ain't going to be pretty.

I also think the PDC is going to wash your car with something high alkaline that will strip anything you do to it, then, $100 bucks says your dealership washes it again before you pick it up (if its anything like my dealership they will do this even if you ask them not to - because they cant have a sold BMW that looks like crap sitting out front).

I'd wait for the paint detailing and protection till you get home. But, if you must, pick up a california dry blade. It will dry a good 75% of you car in a few strokes and a good waffle mf should cover the rest.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
buckets!!! LOL. Frank, take your V1 and dont stress out about the wash! You can wash it all you want when you get it back here. Enjoy your trip though buddy!
haha!

Well the buckets I would buy locally in Germany, I wouldn't carry them along w/me throughout the trip. I will cut down my wash mitts to just 1 and I will pack along my Cali blade and Absorb towel. with the extra space gained (those mitts are bulky, even compressed in no air zip lock bags!)

OK, i won't wax the car till post re-delivery. At least my wife will be happy!
      09-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

I ran mine through a car wash in Munich. Your car is going to undergo less than ideal treatment on its trip over here. I wouldn't bother with too much care and effort unless you take the steps to take an orbital with you and then wash, strip, seal and wax your car.

If you do want to do this, buy your buckets there. You don't want to pack them around.