BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
smfic
Rep
Drives:

Passenger window fails to close

FYI, a few weeks ago I noticed that my passenger window didn't close when I used the door switch. I would pull up on the button to auto close, but it would only go 1/3 of the way up and then go back down. I'd repeat this several times with the same behavior. Nothing was keeping the window from coming up. I had to essentially tease it up by slowly closing the window little by little until it got to the top.
It happened a few times more over a couple weeks then finally brought it in.
From what i was told, there's a sensor in the frame that senses obstructions so that you don't accidentally close the window on someone's hand or worse. To reset, you have to hold the switch up to close the window for 2-3 minutes to reinitialize the window. this will also confirm that the window motor still works. if the motor's flaky, then the window doesn't go up no matter what.
dealership did this last week and haven't had a problem yet but will have to wait and see.

anyone else get this behavior with their windows?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Iv had to same problem a couple of times as well...if you just hold the button up but dont go past the pressure point to activate the auto window feature then it will go up
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

after i disconnected the battery with the door open, my auto up stopped working. i immediately raised the window to the top and held the switch up for maybe 30 seconds. and it went back to normal.

i knew about this trick from reading/searching this forum and e90post (our cars are identical to the 3er in most respects).

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

My driver side window did that once as well. Very wierd. I think it occurred with the door open after I had turned off the ignition.
      11-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
IUpod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Ha. I seem to have a gremlin in my passenger window, too. When I was trying to put them up using the remote the other day, it started dancing rhythmically up and down as the driver side obediently closed.

Then yesterday, the door was opened and the window didn't drop its necessary 1/2 inch so when closed, it made a terrible noise as the glass slammed against the trim it's supposed to pop in behind. The car thought the door was ajar and kept freaking. I couldn't move the window with the control and reopening the door didn't help, just made for another rough closing. When I can out from my hockey game, it was all better. I will try this trick if it does it again.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
pbat
BMW Newbie
Rep
Drives:

I had the same problem with my passenger window not going up all the way as well. I took it into the dealership and the service advisor indicated that BMW is aware of the problem. They reprogrammed some software and the problem has not occurred since. I can get more details if your interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

This thread should be stickied! This saved me a trip to the dealer
Appreciate 0