BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

BMW Performance Suspension Kit vs. Koni Yellows w/Eibach Prokit Springs

I recently had Koni yellow shocks and struts installed with Eibach Pro Kit springs and my impression is that the ride is way too harsh. I was discussing these handling issues with Mikeo in another thread, but since the discussion was sort of off-topic, I'm posting this to get additional feedback. I'm thinking about installing the BMW Peformance Suspension Kit and springs now, but I don't want to spend the addtional cash if the ride is going to be the same.

Has anyone installed Koni yellows with or without Eibach Pro Kit springs? If so, what is your impression? My car seems to crash heavily over expansion joints on the highway and road surface irregularities. Overall grip seems to be reduced as well. I have the front struts set at full soft already and the rears at about half way, but it seems that the front is more of a problem than the rear.

I'd also like to hear any thoughts as to whether the BMW peformance suspension kit with BMW performance springs would likely be any more compliant than the Koni/Eibach setup that I'm running now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

You may want to start here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17695
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Thanks Hugo. I saw that post - it was indeed helpful. Hoping to hear similar comments from others.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
ocinek
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I am in the same boat. I need to pick a shock/spring combo and I've been looking at TCK/Koni, AST, KW, TEIN, H&R, Bilstein, Eibach; it's hard to make a decision because I still havn't recieved springrates for most and I've only used Koni in the past.

Has anyone tried the H&R coilovers? They look like a great alternative to KW v1.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Have you ditched the runflats and tried some performance tires? If not, it might we worth the money to try that since you already have a good spring/strut combo.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
Have you ditched the runflats and tried some performance tires? If not, it might we worth the money to try that since you already have a good spring/strut combo.
I haven't tried that, but I have a feeling the harsh ride is more a function of the suspension than the tires because the car was fine with the run flats on the stock springs and shocks - it just had too much body roll.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I used to have an E46 330i ZHP which I think should be pretty close to the Performance suspension (being both the stiffest non-M factory offerings).

Riding on 18" OEM rims and PS2, every time I drove in DC I thought my car would fold like a rickety shed. Crashing through the potholes, expansion joints etc. Nightmare. But in MD where I live and work it was perfectly matched to the roads. :iono:

If you think the Konis are too harsh, I would not go to the Performance suspension which must be very similar. Go back to stock and install a set of good adjustable sways (I've used UUC with great results) which should solve your initial roll problem.

Other than that, skipping in corners and under acceleration would be greatly reduced by switching away from the runflat tires - it certainly did on my 335i SP (which admittedly had a bigger problem with it than the 135i).

I think the only aftermarket alternative for you could be the cockpit-adjustable Bilstein Ride Control.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

See if you can get a ride in a KW equipped car. I bet you'll like the ride. It's very streetable and goes fast as well!

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

KW is essentially double the cost. If not more.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
KW is essentially double the cost. If not more.
They are more expensive, can't argue that it's more economical. But in terms of performance parts, it's never the cheaper or more convenient method to buy spring/shocks/coilovers twice.

For the OP, the stock springs w/ Koni shocks, F/R sway bars, tires, and front camber plates might be the right upgrade for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Maybe you should go back to stock. Nothing is going to ride as comfortably as stock. If you think the Eibach prokit (one of the softest aftermarket springs) and koni's set at the softest setting are too harsh then it sounds like leaving the car stock may be the best solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

The car is at the shop now. I'm having the stock springs re-installed with the Konis. They are also going to back off on the damping settings on the rear shocks. You have to remove the rears to adjust them, which is why I didn't try that before going back to the stock springs. They were intially set in the middle of the damping range, but the technicians at Koni told me that was too stiff for the street. The adjustment range is two full turns, and they were intially set at one turn. I've asked for 1/4 turn from full soft. Will see if, combined with the stock springs, this does the trick. Will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Not to go OT here, but since I'm in the same general area, what shop are you using? My selling dealer doesn't fool too much with mods, so I'm looking for the best place to go for my mods. I'm near Baltimore.

Thanks

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToolGuy View Post
Not to go OT here, but since I'm in the same general area, what shop are you using? My selling dealer doesn't fool too much with mods, so I'm looking for the best place to go for my mods. I'm near Baltimore.

Thanks

Have Fun,
Rick
I'm using Road Race Technologies, near Dulles Airport. I've heard that At Speed Motorsports in Hanover is also good. They would be a lot closer to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Thanks for the names.

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Koni Yellows on full soft are a great streetable shock. I've run those shocks on 3 different cars at that setting.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
Koni Yellows on full soft are a great streetable shock. I've run those shocks on 3 different cars at that setting.
Did you run the yellows with stock springs and runflat tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

What about the Koni FSD shocks. They advertise them as having improved comfort over the Sports (Yellows) although i admittedly have no driving experience with them...only the yellows.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
What about the Koni FSD shocks. They advertise them as having improved comfort over the Sports (Yellows) although i admittedly have no driving experience with them...only the yellows.
I'm still thinking about FSDs. Don't know if I want to spring for the money right now though. In another thread I posed the question whether anyone had tried the FSDs on a 135 yet and no one said that they had.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
vitig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
The car is at the shop now. I'm having the stock springs re-installed with the Konis. They are also going to back off on the damping settings on the rear shocks. You have to remove the rears to adjust them, which is why I didn't try that before going back to the stock springs. They were intially set in the middle of the damping range, but the technicians at Koni told me that was too stiff for the street. The adjustment range is two full turns, and they were intially set at one turn. I've asked for 1/4 turn from full soft. Will see if, combined with the stock springs, this does the trick. Will keep you all posted.
What happened at end?, i have been a similar problem whit this springs.
135ijb3, h & r filter, SSK, CDV,clutch stop, klracing fmic,seccond catted ,225-255 michelin ps3, E93F-E92R swaybars.M3 parts front.M3 tension rear.Plates mod(F-2,0º R-1,5º).Bilstein + stock springs.Ps rotors.Subframe bushings.Weichers fstruut.Finally mods sdiff and raceland dp.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
I recently had Koni yellow shocks and struts installed with Eibach Pro Kit springs and my impression is that the ride is way too harsh. I was discussing these handling issues with Mikeo in another thread, but since the discussion was sort of off-topic, I'm posting this to get additional feedback. I'm thinking about installing the BMW Peformance Suspension Kit and springs now, but I don't want to spend the addtional cash if the ride is going to be the same.

Has anyone installed Koni yellows with or without Eibach Pro Kit springs? If so, what is your impression? My car seems to crash heavily over expansion joints on the highway and road surface irregularities. Overall grip seems to be reduced as well. I have the front struts set at full soft already and the rears at about half way, but it seems that the front is more of a problem than the rear.

I'd also like to hear any thoughts as to whether the BMW peformance suspension kit with BMW performance springs would likely be any more compliant than the Koni/Eibach setup that I'm running now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm a little wary to jump in here because my experience with Eibach pro kit springs was on a VW, but after the first install with Bilsteins, I hated the ride and handling--the car was way too low and stiff, and bounced around on the interstate. Thought the problem was the shocks so I got my dealer to exchange the Bilsteins for Koni yellows, which made things better but still not all that good. Finally (!) switched back to the stock springs and kept the Konis and that was an awesome combination. I threw the Eibach's in the trash. Couldn't justify re-selling such junk to anyone.

I've got the BMW PS setup on my 135i now with non-runflats and think it was money well spent especially with the a deal I got from Dan@United. Still, I wonder what the car would be like w/Koni yellow's, but I'm done with spending for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #22
Andrew517
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW135

I just read some articles that they addressed Koni is co-developer of BMW Performance, however, the product is proven better that stock suspension as they are stiffer but did not scarifying driveability and comfort. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

BTW, I also plan to upgrade my suspension kit to BMW PS.
Appreciate 0