BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
M cars forced induction future

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/Ne...duction_future
If you want a naturally aspirated M car, you had better buy one soon, before environmental regulations and economic realities drive all future M cars the turbo route.

[...]
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

The point of an ///M engine is that it is high revving :iono::iono:
Lets hope they can keep this alive with a twin turbo version!!!
      01-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Well, the 135i revs to 7000rpm which is pretty amazing for a turbo-charged engine with such small turbochargers. Peak power is actually at 5800rpm, however, so there isn't a huge amount of benefit the top of the rev range.

Technically, it shouldn't be too difficult to combine high-revving with turbo-charging, however, the little twin turbos in use on the current BMW motors have the benefit of introducing very little lag but running out of steam relatively low down in the rev range. The only way to have greater boost at high revs and nice top-end power would be to use a larger turbocharger.

The BMW twin-turbo diesel (123d and 535d) uses sequential turbos to achieve this. If BMW were to use sequential twin turbos on the petrol motors (rather than the current pair of parallel twin turbos), then I see no reason why one couldn't have a high-revving turbo petrol. The 997-series Porsche 911 Turbo uses variable turbine geometry (also commonplace on diesels but unusual on petrols) to achieve a similar benefit.

There is a slight problem in that the current naturally aspirated (particularly M) engines use very lightweight metals (extensive use of magnesium). The turbo motors currently use more aluminium which is heavier but stronger and better suited to additional forces. Once you start using heavier materials, it is difficult to build an engine that revs as fast. Still, even if usable range extended to 7800rpm instead of 8300rpm, that would be a pretty good compromise.

My old 1995 Audi RS2 Avant revved to around 7000rpm and that was with a 2.2l 5-cylinder turbo motor that lacked so much of the advanced technology in the latest BMW M engines. Porsche re-engineers that motor to rev to 7k combined with serious turbocharging (1.4 bar boost) 14 years ago! I recon BMW could now develop a reliable turbo motor that revved to just under 8000rpm. BTW, the RS2 engines are known to be particularly strong. I sold mine at 167,000km but most last well over 250,000km despite being subject to high boost, high revs and abusive driving.

So perhaps there is a future for M-engines that are both turbo-charged and high-revving?

Of course that's assuming the environmentalists don't nail us to a tree...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

I forgot about the 997 turbo and the variable turbos! Havent had the opportunity to get a ride in one!

Like gmza said if they can pull it off ill be more than happy to have an M that only revs to 7800RPM but is twin turbo'd. Maybe they should work on the V8 TT thats being used in the X6? imagine the new m3! 4.4L V8 TT :wub:

Not many cars in Joburg would be able to keep up with that! especially with the DCT gearbox!