BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Which springs w/ Koni Yellows

With Spring fast approaching, it’s now time for me to address the soft factory suspension. Coilovers are not an option because I do not have a local shop that can corner balance and correctly set them up.

With that said, I decided to go with Koni Yellows due to their adjustability and durability. I’ve been running these shocks on my daily driver for the past 5 years and have no complaints.

I’m having problems, however, deciding on which springs to use. The H&R Sports are too low in the front for my liking, so I’ve been eyeing the OE Sports and the Eibach Pro Kit. The OE Sports lower 1” f/r and the Pro Kit lower 1.2” f/r, which is the max I’m willing to go. Alternatively, I could order the Dinan springs, which only go .5” f/r, but I would prefer a slightly more aggressive drop. I also saw the Hartge springs lower 25mm, but I have no clue where to order those.

So, I’m looking for input/advice on the above choices. I would like to try the H&R OE Sports, but I’m concerned that they’ll be too soft, and I’ve not yet heard of anyone using those springs. Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

The H&R OE Sport springs were not yet available for the 135i when I checked a couple of months ago. If they've finally arrived I think they would be my first choice.
      12-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

I think I'll probably end up with the OE Sports, but I wish H&R would quantify their stiffness somehow. I called and spoke with someone, but they wouldn't disclose the spring rates. All I got was "they take the wallow out" in comparison to the stock springs. Great, thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I would go with the OE sports. I think 1" all around would be the perfect drop (I agree the H&R sports are too low). The OE sports will be stiffer than stock but prob not as stiff as the sports or super sports.

How stiff are you looking for? The koni yellows should provide plenty of adjustability to dial in the stiffness you desire.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Past H&R springs had the same spring rates for both the OE Sport and Sport, just different heights. The Race or Super Sport springs had somewhat stiffer rates. The H&R OE Sport/Koni SA on my old E36 M3 was the best street suspension I ever had on that car. Not the ideal track setup but better than stock for sure.
      12-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I would go with the OE sports. I think 1" all around would be the perfect drop (I agree the H&R sports are too low). The OE sports will be stiffer than stock but prob not as stiff as the sports or super sports.

How stiff are you looking for? The koni yellows should provide plenty of adjustability to dial in the stiffness you desire.
Yes, they are adjustable, but I still don't want an over damped/under sprung setup. Plus, the rears have to be removed to adjust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Past H&R springs had the same spring rates for both the OE Sport and Sport, just different heights. The Race or Super Sport springs had somewhat stiffer rates. The H&R OE Sport/Koni SA on my old E36 M3 was the best street suspension I ever had on that car. Not the ideal track setup but better than stock for sure.
I specifically asked if the OE Sports and Sports had the same spring rates and was advised no. However, I think the lady was just spouting off generalities and not the true specifications.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:

+1 OE Sports would be my choice as well if you are not a fan of the standard sport springs. H&R is well known for their aftermarket setups and is the way to go IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
+1 OE Sports would be my choice as well if you are not a fan of the standard sport springs. H&R is well known for their aftermarket setups and is the way to go IMO.
I just sent you an PM on availability...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
320Devil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 17 X5M

Go with the H&R OE Sports. I have the Eibachs on Koni FSDs and am not all that happy with my set up. The shocks are fine, but the drop is too aggressive and leads to a lot of bounciness over large dips.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

disagree. get the eibachs. i hate the raked h&r drop too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

The other option is BMW Performance springs, which give only a slight drop, but I don't know how the spring rates compare to the H&R OE Sports.
      12-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
The other option is BMW Performance springs, which give only a slight drop, but I don't know how the spring rates compare to the H&R OE Sports.
This is another option I have considered, but I would think the the OE Sports are slightly stiffer.

They're on backorder though...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

i had eibachs and koni yellow adjustables on my volvo. They lowered the car about 1.5 inch in the front, and 1.25 inch in the rear. The ride as great firm but comfortable, and handled like a dream. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My vote also goes to OE Sport springs. They're stiff enough to improve handling (specially coupled with those Koni's) but won't be so stiff that they start rattling your interior apart.

If you really want to tighten up your ride might I suggest some sway bars to compliment your spring/shock setup?
Quote:
I do remember OE sports and sports having the same rates with the exception of the OE being closer to stock ride height but it seems this has now changed with the newer springs.

I considered these for my E36 but realized they aren't stiff enough for me so I went with Koni SA's and H&R race then realized that wasn't stiff enough for me either. Now I'm waiting for my budget to allow me some coilovers with 5'' 750/800# linear springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
My vote also goes to OE Sport springs. They're stiff enough to improve handling (specially coupled with those Koni's) but won't be so stiff that they start rattling your interior apart.

If you really want to tighten up your ride might I suggest some sway bars to compliment your spring/shock setup?
Well, the rattling interior would be nothing in comparison to the complaining noises from my wife. :wink:

The F/R bars are on my list as well. Alas, Santa wasn't quite that generous this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #16
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

H&R offers 3 variants and Eibach does one. You can compare them all here.

I would go with Eibach if my main concern would be comfort for the street. H&R is known to produce springs that work well on the track. In general the more a spring lowers the stiffer it will be to prevent the car bottoming out.
I believe Koni dampers are designed to work with springs that lower upto 40 mm this would make the H&R super sport potentially a bad choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Thanks, but I'm actually waiting on the OE Sports, which lower the car even less than the Eibachs. I agree that the super sport would probably require a shock with a shortened body to prevent it from bottoming out and would be too much for the standard yellows.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
Thanks, but I'm actually waiting on the OE Sports, which lower the car even less than the Eibachs. I agree that the super sport would probably require a shock with a shortened body to prevent it from bottoming out and would be too much for the standard yellows.
So you went with the OE sports? Good choice...cant wait to see the installed pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

OE Sports promises to be an excellent choice, please let me know how they perform for future reference.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
So you went with the OE sports? Good choice...cant wait to see the installed pics!
I'm waiting until they are available. They're backordered right now, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBearing View Post
OE Sports promises to be an excellent choice, please let me know how they perform for future reference.
Will do!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I was strongly considering OE performance springs with Koni FSD's... :iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I would not recommend the Eibach pro kit springs. I installed them with Koni Yellows and the the ride quality was very poor. In the end, I went back to the stock springs with the Konis. The ride is still quite stiff, but the body roll is greatly reduced from stock and the ride is much better than with the Eibachs. I'm still thinking about going back to the stock shocks and struts because I liked the plush ride, but I think you would be better off to with the stock springs on the Konis or perhaps the BMW performance springs. I honestly think the car has better grip with the stock springs because it skips less over mid corner bumps compared to the Eibachs. For what it's worth, the tech guys at Koni told me that the yellows are designed to work best with the stock springs, and I tend to agree based on my experience with three different set-ups on the car.
Appreciate 0