E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Heater Squeal

01-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Heater Squeal

When it's 20F(ish) or below I get a high pitch ticking squeal. The colder it is, the worse it gets. So when it was -21f a few weeks ago, it was out of control. It's also worse when I accelerate or make a right turn. I have brought this up during two winters and BMW says "BMW's all do that for as long as I can remember". Then they do nothing. I looked at my paperwork and they did not annotate a thing. My fault for not paying attention to detail there. So I am going to bring it in Monday, for this problem only. Still under Warranty for another year.

So, any other cold weather member had this trouble? What was the fix at BMW? I am looking for some ammo when I go in.

p2
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

P2, it's the blower motor. This is common on some cars. My '06 did it the first winter I had it when it got down into single digit temperatures. My car now has 70K on it (3 years later) and this past week when it was 2 deg, my blower motor did not make any noise. I think as the bearings wear in they no loner squeal. I left mine alone because I didn't want a Tech pulling half my dash apart to replace the blower motor with one that would probably just do the same thing. BMWs are funny cars. They will do strange things once or a few times and then never do it again. It takes awhile for the car to break in.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
P2, it's the blower motor. This is common on some cars. My '06 did it the first winter I had it when it got down into single digit temperatures. My car now has 70K on it (3 years later) and this past week when it was 2 deg, my blower motor did not make any noise. I think as the bearings wear in they no loner squeal. I left mine alone because I didn't want a Tech pulling half my dash apart to replace the blower motor with one that would probably just do the same thing. BMWs are funny cars. They will do strange things once or a few times and then never do it again. It takes awhile for the car to break in.
It's getting worse as time goes by. I have had it since new and this is the 3rd winter. I don't want my dash apart either but it's driving me crazy. Thanks for the advice. Maybe my next one will break in .

p2
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
JL330i_UT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

my 99 328i does this as well, not just the heater tho, ac as well. ive asked a Service adviser about it and he said that the blower fan needed to be lubed? it was something along thoes lines.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
jaylo247
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I had the exact symptoms that you are currently having and just picked my car up today. They performed SIB 640105 and now everything is fine. My blower motor was corroded and rusty due to water ingress. Glad I was still under warranty. It took several days, best of luck.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B640105g.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylo247 View Post
I had the exact symptoms that you are currently having and just picked my car up today. They performed SIB 640105 and now everything is fine. My blower motor was corroded and rusty due to water ingress. Glad I was still under warranty. It took several days, best of luck.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B640105g.htm
Thanks. Mine was not a whistle but a high pitch squeal. Kinda like what they played over the speakers during my military POW training. I think maybe the same defect causing it. Anyway, they replaced the blower motor and all seemed well in the single digits when I picked it up.
Appreciate 0