E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Folding mirror question

06-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Folding mirror question

I read this thread and it didn't really address my question.

I was washing my 05/06 production 330i with the mirrors folded in when the mirrors folded out on their own. They then folded back in a couple of seconds later and then back out. I had the key (Comfort Access optioned) in my pocket and thought that I had accidentally squeezed the lock button down and caused it. When I was done, I tried duplicating it by pressing and holding down the lock button on the remote but it didn't operate the mirrors, as others experienced in the linked thread. It was very strange that the mirrors would fold on their own while the car wasn't even running. Anyone else experience this or have a clue what happened?

I did discover that once you have held the unluck button and the windows have gone down, that if you have CA and keep your finger on the lock area of the door handle the windows will go up as if you held the lock button on the remote. Not sure if that has been mentioned before.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Pretty Cool!
      06-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

dont you love electrical grelims
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

When you have comfort access...
if you hold you finger on the ridges on the door handle for a few seconds as you lock the car the mirrors will also fold. If you have a European car, then this holding down on the ridges will also close your sunroof and mirrors (handy if you forget to close them before getting out).

Now... when you wash the car the water has the annoying effect of locking and unlocking the car repeatedly. It will also occasionally fold and unfold the mirrors as well.

If you want to avoid this after you stop the car just put your comfort access key fob in the key slot before you start washing.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyobrien
When you have comfort access...
if you hold you finger on the ridges on the door handle for a few seconds as you lock the car the mirrors will also fold. If you have a European car, then this holding down on the ridges will also close your sunroof and mirrors (handy if you forget to close them before getting out).

Now... when you wash the car the water has the annoying effect of locking and unlocking the car repeatedly. It will also occasionally fold and unfold the mirrors as well.

If you want to avoid this after you stop the car just put your comfort access key fob in the key slot before you start washing.

Hope this helps...
Thanks Tony! It absolutley helps. I just tried the continuing to hold on the lock ridges and the mirrors did indeed fold in. You mentioned that in Europe the windows and roof would close but they did close on my US spec car when I had opened them with the remote and then held the ridges to lock. Strange....

The thing with the water locking and unlocking... that is too bizarre.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata
Thanks Tony! It absolutley helps. I just tried the continuing to hold on the lock ridges and the mirrors did indeed fold in. You mentioned that in Europe the windows and roof would close but they did close on my US spec car when I had opened them with the remote and then held the ridges to lock. Strange....

The thing with the water locking and unlocking... that is too bizarre.

Thanks again!
Comfort Access generates a magnetic field around the door handles; when the field is broken the key is queried and the car unlocks. The water disturbs the magnetic field as well and as the key is close to the car it locks/unlocks. Comfort Access also has a feature to that will not allow you to lock the key in the car or boot(trunk) thus when you have the key inside the car, it detects this and prevents the crazy folding mirror dance when you are washing it.

Regarding the US spec... I read something about the sunroof not closing when the engine/ignition is off. Perhaps with comfort access in the US this works fine?
Appreciate 0