BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

Best Hydraulic Jack for the track

I'm sure everyone has some opinions on this. I'm in the market for one, but haven't decided yet. I don't want to spend too much, but it's also important not to go cheap. (I would love to have gotten the AC Hydraulics jack if I was around for the $200 group buy a few years back)

What about racing jack vs. floor jack?
What size jack do we need for our cars?

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Race Jack

I have a normal steel jack, and have used it on my 135i, but it's a bit restrictive because it's min height is 120mm. I'm about to buy one of these which will be much better suited. The have a min height of 90mm which is perfect. They are made in Asia (where else) so they should be available world wide. This particular one is from Autobarn in Australia.
You will also need a block to fit in the jack point on the car. I use a piece of wood which seems to work fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
drivrswntd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330ci

I've got a Craftsman aluminum low profile jack that I have been using for about 4-5 years now. It has held up excellent, and I have just had to bleed it and top off the fluid a couple times. It isnt very heavy and works great at the track on lowered cars. My favorite part about it, which I think most nicer jacks have is the one pump to get it up to the level of the jack pad.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I had a $99 Costco special (made by Arcan?) which failed after about 2 years of very light duty. Only thing that may have contributed is that it stayed in a toolshed outside in various temperatures (but no precipitation).

When it failed, I tried bleeding, topping up etc. and finally contacted the manufacturer, only to be told in no uncertain terms that they don't sell the pump cylinder for those jacks. In other words, it became a giant paperweight.

From now on, I'll buy whatever alu jack I can find at Sears and - provided they don't go out of business - return for a new one each time it fails...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivrswntd View Post
I've got a Craftsman aluminum low profile jack that I have been using for about 4-5 years now.
Ditto on the Craftsman jack. I really like mine, it's easy to use and easy to transport.

Feff
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
Ditto on the Craftsman jack. I really like mine, it's easy to use and easy to transport.
i also have the craftsman aluminum jack. i have enjoyed it, but have heard of a lot of failures. i use it, but am very careful to have jackstands in place, even if i'm just swapping wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I had a $99 Costco special (made by Arcan?) which failed after about 2 years of very light duty. Only thing that may have contributed is that it stayed in a toolshed outside in various temperatures (but no precipitation).

When it failed, I tried bleeding, topping up etc. and finally contacted the manufacturer, only to be told in no uncertain terms that they don't sell the pump cylinder for those jacks. In other words, it became a giant paperweight.

From now on, I'll buy whatever alu jack I can find at Sears and - provided they don't go out of business - return for a new one each time it fails...
for the alum jacks from costco, long as you keep the recipe, you can return it any time you like.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
for the alum jacks from costco, long as you keep the recipe, you can return it any time you like.
Truly? Well hot double-damn, if I had known that...

Maybe I'll go and buy another one after all... when it worked I liked it...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
Car Whore
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 944 Cup Car - Excursion - R32

yep - with costco you can always return, keep in mind with a craftsman there's only a 90 day warranty. Mine broke after about a year (pretty heavy use) during a clutch swap on a buddies s2000 it was holding the tranny overnight...
Euro Delivery - Munich | 10.24.08 @ 10:30am >> Dropped Off - Amsterdam | 10.31.08 @ 1:30pm :: 1469 mi.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

I have this jack, for about a year now, seems to be doing the job fine. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=67
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 08-13-2009 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Go to www.ecstuning.com and look at their Swaben lightweight aluminum floor jack. It is small, light and looks really trick. Then also get a jack point adapter from them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #12
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I have a normal steel jack, and have used it on my 135i, but it's a bit restrictive because it's min height is 120mm. I'm about to buy one of these which will be much better suited. The have a min height of 90mm which is perfect. They are made in Asia (where else) so they should be available world wide. This particular one is from Autobarn in Australia.
You will also need a block to fit in the jack point on the car. I use a piece of wood which seems to work fine.
The jack I use is basically identical to that, except not for Autobarn.

Been using it for a few years with medium use with no hassles and minimal maintenance.
      02-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

go with the craftsman model. i had a harbor freight one that was trash. it failed in the first week, i got a warranty replacement, which also failed a couple months later. o sold the warranty replacement and bought the craftsman one. problem free since. obviously you should be careful/gentile with any jack, but above all else, stay away from the harbor freight ones!

one upside is that each time i got a warranty replacement, i got a new matching pair of jack stands, which unlike the jack, actually are pretty nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

the craftsman one only has a 1 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm kind of a floor jack fanatic and have tested dozens of floor jacks, even wrote an article a few years back about it. Few American companies are making floor jacks anymore with the quality of say, Lincoln. There are a lot of really crappy floor jacks out there, so beware.

My "Floor Jack Tech Article" has had millions of hits: http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_jacks1.php

The Craftsman jacks are Crap, Man. I've owned 3 of them and I really liked them when new, but they all died within 6-12 months. Hydraulics go out completely. Bleh. I bought two of them for $99 when new, and wouldn't waste my money on them again. There aren't any replacement seal kits to fix them, either, because they are overseas junk that Sears just slaps their name on. They look pretty, though!

The Chinese aluminum "race" jacks are pretty bad, but that's pretty much the only choice for a lightweight race jack anymore. I've had several of the Harbor Freight jobbers and one of them broke (the saddle) and the car fell off the jack, crushing the oilpan. I had some choice things to say, and luckily it didn't crush my head like a grape. Still, there aren't better choices until you want to spend $600-700+ on the US built versions they originally copied. The hydraulics don't last forever so think of these as 2-3 year disposibles, as with everything from HF. The ~35 pound version is a back saver when lugging it around the track. DON'T buy the little itty bitty 27 pound version - its a scaled down version of their popular 3000 pound jack and I've seen these sh!t their parts out and cars fall off of them. The 35 pound version is only "tens of dollars" more costly and significantly bigger and stronger.

The AC Hydraulics (DK20, DK13HLQ) jacks are uber nice but uber expensive. The Euro exchange rate makes these cost $400-600+ USD nowadays. I've used them and they are SECOND TO NONE. If you have to have the nicest jack in the pits, get an AC Hydraulics. Not lightweight, though, so its more of a shop model.

There's a Chinese clone of the DK13HLQ (Omega 29023) but I haven't heard any good things about it. It looks super low profile and costs around $200, but it looks cheap.

We have had excellent luck with the American Foundry and Forge jacks, including a Matco branded 3 ton unit and the AFF 200T. The 200T is their ultra low profile, high lift, fast hydraulic shop jack model. Its the only one I recommend anymore. About $200 and solid as a rock after years of use. I want to buy another... always need more than one jack.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Hey Terry,

In the post you say Craftsmans are crap but in your article you say they, the one I happen to own, are great.

Signed, Confused

BTW, Your plates on my E92 are as solid as ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Hey Terry,

In the post you say Craftsmans are crap but in your article you say they, the one I happen to own, are great.

Signed, Confused

BTW, Your plates on my E92 are as solid as ever.
Yea, the article is a bit out of date... the Craftsman jacks did function well for the first 6-12 months, then both of them died and lost all pressure. I need to go and update the article...

Glad you like the plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Curious... by "plates" do you mean some sort of jacking plate? If so, is there more info available? Id love some info on a device to make jacking easy and damage difficult.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

I believe he is talking about caster/camber plates, I could be wrong. Vorshlag does make some awesome plates. If you are talking about jackpad damage this might be for you.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1070446
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

Awesome bought that jackpad. Ecs is where I got a Lot of stuff for my tt

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
M Therapy
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Hello everyone. Just registered and I'm sorry that I don't own a 1 Series, yet. However, this is a great thread that just about each and everyone of us should be interested in.
Just having had my Costco aluminum racing jack fail on me (threads in the aluminum housing stripped out), I'm very interested in the AFF-200T model. My interest is based off the "Floor Jack Shootout" article from Vorshlag Motorsports. Great article by the way. I've come to the conclusion that the aluminum jack, no matter who you buy it from, is a 3-5 year, disposable item. I don't want to have to spend $100+ for a jack only to replace it 3 years later. Plus, I won't be able to fix/repair it since the company doesn't sell spare parts. The floor jack is the workhorse of the garage.
That's what makes the AFF-200T so nice. You get an exploded view of the jack assembly showing each part that they replace. On top of that, it's made in the US. Granted, it weighs 99 lb. However, this jack will only be for the garage. When I go to the track, I'll borrow an aluminum jack from a friend.
Anyway, one of the issues with this jack is the price and during my search through the internet, I came across several sites that sold it, but then added on a hefty shifting fee of $75+, resulting in a price of $260+. I happened to check Summit Racing, and they have the AFF-200T jack, using their PN (SUM-G1020) with a much lower shipping fee. In fact, I contacted AFF and they confirmed its their jack. They said the only difference is the Summit Racing jack (PN SUM-G1020) has a 2-part handle for shipping purposes. The AFF jack (PN AFF-200T) is a single piece jack. This results in the lowest overall price (jack cost+shipping+tax= $238) of any of the internets sites visited.
I hope this helps those out interested in the AFF-200T.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #22
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have a craftsman aluminum jack going on for 4+ years now and it still works great :dunno:
Appreciate 0