E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Stuttering M3

02-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Stuttering M3

I'm driving down the motorway this morning doing around 80-85mph. The power button is pressed.

Suddenly, the car stutters for about 2-3 seconds like it's just lost all power. Then I realised the power button was off and the oil temp gauge was down at around 60 degrees instead of normal. The oil temp gauge went back to normal and I had to select the power button again and all was fine.

Then when I was off the motorway and was pulling off at a set of traffic lights it did the same...no power for a couple of seconds and the power button turned itself off. Both times it did feel like the car had cut out...but it didn't need restarting so I guess it couldn't have done.

Luckily I was on my way to Birds so it's being looked at now but this is worrying me...is it the remap thats causing the car to do this??

Any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
No not experianced it. I would recommend getting it to the dealer ASAP. Could be an ECU fault.
      02-08-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Agree... get that into the dealers ASAP. Sounds like a mouse in the ECU!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
parachute
parachute
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
has to be the remap bro

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
Sounds like a sensor has gone, or the remap has thrown the ECU into a wobbly. Get Birds to check it out and if they can't see a prob, get them to put the ECU back to stock and get it into BMW.

Good luck bud
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Sounds like a sensor has gone, or the remap has thrown the ECU into a wobbly. Get Birds to check it out and if they can't see a prob, get them to put the ECU back to stock and get it into BMW.

Good luck bud
Mmm...thanks Biscuits. That sounds like a good plan.

If Kevin can't sort it, what do you reckon I should do about the map?? Am I entitled to a refund, should I try a different one or do I get it looked at by BMW then put the map back on (and should I expect this for free?)

In any case, I should know by tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Go back to basics and follow a logical process of elimination.

If your car has a remap, remove it. Most (if not all) reputable remap companies should remove and then replace the map without any cost to you if there is a problem. After all, they always say that they do not cause any trouble. They wouldn't want the bad publicity after all. Then take it to your dealer describing the symptoms and let them have a fiddle. No doubt they will say no fault found... See how YOU find the car without the remap for a while and then go from there by adding the remap again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sucks man...hope its cool tommorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Sounds like it could be going into limp mode, owing to the discrepancies with the oil temp and possibly oil pressure.
I'd agree with getting the map taken off prior to going back to BMW, with your description of the problem, and the possible diagnostics carried out to find the problem,the remap might rear it's ugly head!

Good luck.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Never experienced stuttering in mine. I don't have a remap by the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Got it back from Birds - there were apparently a couple of faults logged which they cleared and it seemed to drive home just fine.

Kevin is emailing me the details of what the faults were and said if the problem comes back I should take it to BMW and get them to fix - which will probably result in the map being wiped. If this happens then he will then replace the map FOC for me...all sounds nice and reasonable.

Won't be worrying about it unless it happens again though!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
piston-pirates
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do Birds charge you when they reflash the ecu everytime BMW clears it? Obviously this time as he's advised you to go in he'll do it but in a different situation what do they charge? Was it an OBD2 port tune?

Fingers X'd it won't happen again anyway!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I thought this had been sorted but something similar reared it's ugly head again when I was in France.

Accelerating out of a toll booth, the car was in 3rd gear at around 60mph and then the accelerator pedal just went 'dead' for about 5 seconds. The car didn't cut out but just didn't respond to the throttle and momentarily lost speed. It then went back to normal and never did this again.

I'm guessing this will be logged somewhere as a fault so it's off to the dealers now! I'm guessing the remap is going to be wiped if they reset anything??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

sorry to hear of your problems. thats really concerning tho as most things are electronically controlled in the car. reallly strange that no warning lights came up on the dash?! if i were in your position i certainly woudlnt have taken it on your road trip to Geneva and back.... id be constantly 'bricking it' that something else might fail
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmball View Post
I thought this had been sorted but something similar reared it's ugly head again when I was in France.

Accelerating out of a toll booth, the car was in 3rd gear at around 60mph and then the accelerator pedal just went 'dead' for about 5 seconds. The car didn't cut out but just didn't respond to the throttle and momentarily lost speed. It then went back to normal and never did this again.

I'm guessing this will be logged somewhere as a fault so it's off to the dealers now! I'm guessing the remap is going to be wiped if they reset anything??
So do you still have the remap on the car then PB? I doesn't sound like a mapping issue, more likely a throttle sensor or similar.... but if they only do an ECU software update, which is easier than swapping any hardware, it will wipe the remap. If that fixes it, it would then point towards the map.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #16
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
You getting old and repeating yourself Palmball...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #18
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You getting old and repeating yourself Palmball...

LOL... I clearly don't know how to use a computer.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So do you still have the remap on the car then PB? I doesn't sound like a mapping issue, more likely a throttle sensor or similar.... but if they only do an ECU software update, which is easier than swapping any hardware, it will wipe the remap. If that fixes it, it would then point towards the map.
Yes the map is still on the car and if they update the software I'll have to try it without the map for a while to see if this happens again. It's quite erratic as to when the problems occur so I'll have to run it for a few thousand miles without the map to come to any conclusion.

However, I did manage to do 15k miles before the map with no issues so I reckon it's related to the map in some way.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
sorry to hear of your problems. thats really concerning tho as most things are electronically controlled in the car. reallly strange that no warning lights came up on the dash?! if i were in your position i certainly woudlnt have taken it on your road trip to Geneva and back.... id be constantly 'bricking it' that something else might fail

Ha ha LOL...I was already well on my way and halfway to Switzerland. Oh..and I was bricking myself for the rest of the journey hoping it wouldn't happen again!
Appreciate 0