BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Honda F1 in for 2009 season.

03-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Shev
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Honda F1 in for 2009 season.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/8987.html

Who thinks honda will compete again.

Honda and Ross Brawn have confirmed that they have reached agreement to secure the future of the former Honda Racing F1 Team, with ownership passing to team principal Brawn with immediate effect. Subject to FIA approval, the team will become known as the Brawn GP Formula One Team.

Brawn has agreed a partnership with Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, Brixworth, UK to supply the team with its 2.4 litre Mercedes-Benz FO108W Formula One engines. This too remains subject to FIA approval.

The team have also confirmed that their race driver line-up for the 2009 season will combine the talents of two of Formula One's most experienced drivers in Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello. The race-winning drivers continue their partnership at the team for a fourth consecutive year, forming the most experienced driver partnership on the grid with 423 Grand Prix starts between them.

Brawn commented: "The past few months have been extremely challenging for the team but today's announcement is the very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts that have been made to secure its future.

"Firstly, it is a great shame that having worked with Honda Motor Company for so long we can no longer continue together. I would like to thank Honda for the fantastic co-operation and support we have received throughout this process - particularly those members of the senior management who were closely involved with concluding our agreement - and for the faith they have demonstrated in myself and our team.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to pay due credit to our staff at Brackley. The levels of motivation and commitment that I have witnessed at the factory deserve the highest praise.

"I am delighted that Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello will form our race driver line-up for the 2009 season. The vast experience and knowledge that both drivers bring to our team will prove invaluable as we aim to get up to speed in the shortest possible time to be ready for the first race of the season in Melbourne on 29 March. In what will be their fourth season together, their experience with our team in Brackley, our systems and our engineers, will prove a real asset.”

Hiroshi Oshima, Managing Officer of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. responsible for Corporate Communications and Motor Sports, commented: "Since announcing our withdrawal from Formula One racing on December 5 of last year, we have conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team. We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn, with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision. We offer our sincerest wishes for the new team which will be led by Ross."

Brawn and the team will now focus its efforts on the remaining pre-season tests, in Barcelona (March 9-12) and Jerez (March 15-17) prior to heading to Melbourne, Australia for the start of the 2009 Formula One season.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Maybe with all the cost cutting approved by FOTA it will be cost effective for Honda to return some day.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090305/FREE/903059997
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Not sure if I like the new colors, but it's at least a whole lot better than that "Earth Dreams" theme from last year. Very glad they're giving Rubens another year instead of giving the ride to Bruno Senna. That said, I do hope the kid will eventually get a ride in F1 in the upcoming 2 years max; it's good for the sport with the publicity he gets even though he might not be the best driver.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post

Not sure if I like the new colors, but it's at least a whole lot better than that "Earth Dreams" theme from last year. Very glad they're giving Rubens another year instead of giving the ride to Bruno Senna. That said, I do hope the kid will eventually get a ride in F1 in the upcoming 2 years max; it's good for the sport with the publicity he gets even though he might not be the best driver.
the stupid Earth Dreams killed themselves from all the potential sponsors....

hope they can find a few sponsors this month....how about a big E90POST on it???
oh wait...we should do it on BMW Sauber instead....