BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

General thoughts of the new 750i

I've had my 750i for about a week now and put on 500 miles.

Some general thoughts:

- power delivery is buttery smooth. very responsive and impressive. more than adequate power. the torque kicks in hard

-fuel economy is about the same as the old E65. I am getting about 14mpg - driving aggressively. this is impressive with the increased horsepower and torque

-Blind spot detection is the best. The triangles light up clearly in the daytime and this option is a must have

-heads up display is good. not much shown except the speed most of the time. my m5 has the MView that shows the rpms. this heads up seems a bit plain. i do like the feature whereby you can adjust the height of the display.

-presets. this is cool also. the preset section can save all the media types cd/dvd/am/fm/sat. so this is one inclusive list. I've saved over 23 items so far and it seems limitless.

-Black screen gauges are terrific. there bottom half has in interactive screen. for example, when you select the preset and roll the switch on the steering wheel - the list magically appears for your selection, then it dissapears and the dashboard turns back to normal.

-comfort access. much better than my m5. the door handles are the perfect shape and size - and the area to press to lock the doors is easy to activate.

-headlights- new eyebrows are unique at night and make the front end very agressive.

-rear dvd - i still need to figure out if I can play 2 separate dvds from the dvd changer. i am able to play a different dvd in the front screen (when parked) and the back 2 screens can play something else. i need to find out if i can play different movies in the rear. does anyone know?

-lane departure warning - a bit annoying. i turned it off.

-headlight asst - very good.

-sport and sport plus modes. i cant seen to tell the difference yet.

-i drive. excellent improvment over last generation. makes my m5 with the old interface seem ancient.

-Dark graphite paint. I ordered the car without seeing this color. I was going to change to space gray. i am so glad i kept the dark graphite. it is simply beautiful, pearlescent, and deep gray. no hints of purple, blue or other hues

-trunk motorized action. closes faster than my old E65.

-Side mirrors - I like the new shape. sporty yet functional.

-Seats - extremely comfortable - more so than the E65 and the M5 (I have the perforated seats on the m5, not the M seats)

-sport package steering wheel. seems a bit skinny - but is good for a luxury sports sedan. but i am used to the M5 wheel. the steering wheel without the sport package is even thinner. heated wheel heats up quickly.

-sports package 4 wheel steering feels a bit strange at slow speeds (very nimble). i am getting used to it. The performance is evident and you can feel the difference

more to come!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

How confortable is it!! All the reviews said it isn't as expected!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Thanks for the review... I'm looking forward to your next update

The DVD changer can only play one disc at a time, so to be able to play two different movies in the back, try playing one from the DVD changer and the other from the rear DVD player. That is pretty much the ONLY way you could get the back entertainment system to play two different DVDs with the build-in DVD players. I don't know if this actually works and sure hope it does as that was the way it was explained to me.

The other method would be to use the rear DVD player and one external source (iPod/iPhone, Game Console or portable DVD player) hooked up to one of the Aux inputs in the rear.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if this worked for you.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
How confortable is it!! All the reviews said it isn't as expected!!
'All the reviews'??? What reviews have you been reading?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
vulcan747
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 545

Questions on graphite paint and heads up display

Do you feel the graphite finish will hide micro scratches or swirls
that black cars invariably get? Was ready to get the Driver Assistance Package
after hearing how much you like the blind spot feature but after hearing how annoying the lane departure feature is, wonder if the LDW & headlight assistance is worth $1350 or could the money be better spent on another option. Does the Heads Up display have any additional feature set from the last generation. Thought I heard GPS directions have been improved with this newer Heads Up display. I expect your milage will improve after 3-5K when motor internals have been mated. What kind of highway cruise MPG are you getting at 70 mph?
Nice review Spot
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, i am able to play a DVD from the 6 disc changer in the dashboard and also play a DVD on the rear 2 screens from the DVD changer in the rear. I can change the DVD to play from the changer or the rear DVD.

However, it cannot pick separate DVD's for the back 2 screens. for example, i cannot pick a movie in the left rear screen from the front DVD changer and also pick a different movie for the right from the rear dvd player. I know this sounds confusing, but I have 2 kids that want to watch 2 different movies (without plugging in an ipod). I would like to have one put one in the rear dvd changer and have the other child select one from the front 6 disc changer. for some reason, i cannot independently pick the "source" of the dvd in the rear - hence both screens play the same movie...

does anyone know how to do this>

thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yes , i feel the gray will hide the scratches better than the black color. my m5 is black and the dark graphite a good dark contrast.

re the driver asst package - go for it. you can just press a button and turn off the lane departure warning system.

i haven't used the nav yet but will report back what I see in the heads up.

i am getting 15.5 mpg today at 70 mph for 50 miles!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
Yes, i am able to play a DVD from the 6 disc changer in the dashboard and also play a DVD on the rear 2 screens from the DVD changer in the rear. I can change the DVD to play from the changer or the rear DVD.

However, it cannot pick separate DVD's for the back 2 screens. for example, i cannot pick a movie in the left rear screen from the front DVD changer and also pick a different movie for the right from the rear dvd player. I know this sounds confusing, but I have 2 kids that want to watch 2 different movies (without plugging in an ipod). I would like to have one put one in the rear dvd changer and have the other child select one from the front 6 disc changer. for some reason, i cannot independently pick the "source" of the dvd in the rear - hence both screens play the same movie...

does anyone know how to do this>

thanks!!
Hope you can work this out with the DVD players and the two screens in the back because I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you are. I have two kids that want to watch two different movies on trips. I had asked my dealer and they told me that it should be possible to play one movie on one side, say the right screen from the DVD changer while a different movie is playing on the left screen from the rear entertainment DVD player. So I sure hope this works or that there is a way to get this to work that way otherwise, what is the point of having two different DVD players in the car (other than watching a different movie upfront when you are parked)?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yes , i feel the gray will hide the scratches better than the black color. my m5 is black and the dark graphite a good dark contrast.

re the driver asst package - go for it. you can just press a button and turn off the lane departure warning system.

i haven't used the nav yet but will report back what I see in the heads up.

i am getting 15.5 mpg today at 70 mph for 50 miles!
When I test drove the 750, I entered a short route into the navigation system. I like the added/new direction information they have in the new navigation system. The new system also calculates your routes a LOT faster than the previous system did. As you said earlier, it makes the previous system look ancient in comparison!

The navigation information that is displayed in the split screen (arrow display, distance, street name, etc) also shows up in the head-up display.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
riazah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 750 i and 2007 650 cic

good review spot m5..sorry to hear about the dvd..i have one daughter so for now i can live with it but it does not make sense to have two screens ...surely you should be able to watch two dvds..may be worth a call to bmw...is there a dvd manual that comes with it

did you try the lane assist on highways or normal roads.. since it works based on clear markings on the road it probably does not work well on normal roads

does the lane assist come up in the heads up...also wondering if the warnings on the night vision will appear in heads up on mine..i know from my 650 that one of the features i really liked in the hud is the nav feature

i cant wait till wednesday when I pick up mine...i really liked the dark graphite color but couldnt wait till end may for a car with the options i wanted so I went with black sapphire... oh well
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Excellent write up!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Riazah - congratulations on getting your car soon!

The owner's manual has a section for the DVD operation-but I couldn't find anything to help me. What is happening is that you can select a DVD, but when you get the first one going (both screens are playing the same) and I try to go back to the menu to pick another dvd, both screens go blank to show the menu. you can't pick the left or right on the remote control. note that there is a left or right switch on the remote -BUT it is only for the Volume....

is used the lane assist only on the highway. it is a good feature, but on the highway, you change lanes from time to time and the vibration is annoying after a while. I plan to use it on longer trips so I don't snooze on the road.

i did use the nav today. it has two colors and seems to be more descriptive. on my m5 with hud, it is a single color. I had to readjust the height lower - since the info was being cut off from being too high.

also today, I witnessed the dash lights go from white to BMW orange. it happens quickly and is very cool. nice touch bmw!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The owner's manual has a section for the DVD operation-but I couldn't find anything to help me. What is happening is that you can select a DVD, but when you get the first one going (both screens are playing the same) and I try to go back to the menu to pick another dvd, both screens go blank to show the menu. you can't pick the left or right on the remote control. note that there is a left or right switch on the remote -BUT it is only for the Volume....

is used the lane assist only on the highway. it is a good feature, but on the highway, you change lanes from time to time and the vibration is annoying after a while. I plan to use it on longer trips so I don't snooze on the road.

i did use the nav today. it has two colors and seems to be more descriptive. on my m5 with hud, it is a single color. I had to readjust the height lower - since the info was being cut off from being too high.

also today, I witnessed the dash lights go from white to BMW orange. it happens quickly and is very cool. nice touch bmw!
SpotM5, do you have the iDrive controller in the back seat?

If so, did you try to use the left and right control buttons (labeled 1 and 2) to change the screen settings?

You your previous post you only referred to the DVD remote control, that's why I am asking about the rear iDrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

If you follow this link, you can download an electronic (PDF) version of the 7 series owner's manual:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:08 AM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

SpotM5, I forgot to ask, you mentioned that you found the lane departure warning to be annoying and you turned it off, did you use your signals when you did your lane changes on the highway?

If I recall correctly, it only vibrated the steering wheel during my test drive when I was changing (or leaving) my lane without signaling first. Basically it was doing it's intended job and it did it very well. But once I indicated a lane change, there was no vibration (it basically knows you are going to cross the line).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good point!
I was not using my blinkers.
I will try it out and let you know if it still vibrates.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
'All the reviews'??? What reviews have you been reading?
For the beggining let's take the review made by fifth gear, and than top gear!!
I'm asking for your opinion because you bought one and drive it everyday so you must know better i think!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
For the beggining let's take the review made by fifth gear, and than top gear!!
I'm asking for your opinion because you bought one and drive it everyday so you must know better i think!!
I ALWAYS take reviews by others with a grain of salt, after all, they may not like a particular color that you like or they may dislike an option that you really like, etc.

Now for fifth gear reviews, I personally couldn't care less what those buffoons say. It is pretty obvious that they like MB better. I don't remember if I've seen the 750 review by top gear but I'm pretty sure that I have (I have seen a LOT of them, whatever I could find online and also what has been posted here on the forums).

There is NO substitute to make up your own mind, you just HAVE to go for your own test drive!

When I test drove the 750, I found it plenty comfy. It wasn't quite as smooth riding as the MB S class, but then again, I like the more sporty feel of a BMW over the somewhat softer suspension setup of the MB. Again, this is entirely up to how you prefer your car to handle!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #19
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update #2 - 750i at 800 miles

Second update...

-car is running very smooth. mileage is up to 16 mpg

-DVD rear entertaiment system is still difficult to understand. I need to spend more time in it.

-car is super comfortable. my wife says the seats are the best of the bunch (3 seven series and 1 m5) she only wishes that the massage function is also on the passenger side.

-agility and tracking of this car is incredible. driving is effortless since you have full control of the car and can get good feedback from it.

-heads up display using the nav is excellent.

-took the traction control off for a little bit and smoked the tires very easily on a desolate country road. my 2 yr old says "wow, it's fast Dad - go faster".

-eyebrows on the zenon lights at night simply look MEAN!

-rear LED lights look very differnet than anything on the road. The led tubes look very cool.

-i washed the car for the first time today. it is surprisingly easy to wash! The sport rim (gray 10" sport package rims) are easy to clean and hide brake dust well.

-i noticed that the engine fan seems to stay on for about 10 minutes in regular drving conditions.

-ambient lighting is very nice. the led lights in the doorhandles and the sills are a nice touch.

-trunk space is large. I had 4 sets of clubs in it today with gear. no problems

-the car is getting alot of attention and questions. people are driving in my blind spot alot checking out the car. i got 4 thumbs up in the last week!

- summary.. LOVE the car

more to come
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #20
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Second update...

-car is running very smooth. mileage is up to 16 mpg

-DVD rear entertaiment system is still difficult to understand. I need to spend more time in it.

-car is super comfortable. my wife says the seats are the best of the bunch (3 seven series and 1 m5) she only wishes that the massage function is also on the passenger side.

-agility and tracking of this car is incredible. driving is effortless since you have full control of the car and can get good feedback from it.

-heads up display using the nav is excellent.

-took the traction control off for a little bit and smoked the tires very easily on a desolate country road. my 2 yr old says "wow, it's fast Dad - go faster".

-eyebrows on the zenon lights at night simply look MEAN!

-rear LED lights look very differnet than anything on the road. The led tubes look very cool.

-i washed the car for the first time today. it is surprisingly easy to wash! The sport rim (gray 10" sport package rims) are easy to clean and hide brake dust well.

-i noticed that the engine fan seems to stay on for about 10 minutes in regular drving conditions.

-ambient lighting is very nice. the led lights in the doorhandles and the sills are a nice touch.

-trunk space is large. I had 4 sets of clubs in it today with gear. no problems

-the car is getting alot of attention and questions. people are driving in my blind spot alot checking out the car. i got 4 thumbs up in the last week!

- summary.. LOVE the car

more to come
Thanks again SpotM5... Great update!

I think you meant gray 19" sport package rims?

10" seems a little on the small side

I had a look through the owners manual and couldn't find any reference on how to setup a different source for the left and right rear screen

Do you have the standard rear entertainment system or do you have the professional rear entertainment system. The pro system has the additional iDrive controller in the back. I think you might be able to change the left and right source via the iDrive only. Not sure if that would work via the remote control.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002

Great write up. it sounds like they hit the nail on the head. This is definently the luxury sedan I would buy!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #22
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Would you be able to take some nice pictures and post them, please? I'd really like to see the car in the dark. Your description of the mean headlights, cool LED tubes in the tails, and ambient lighting makes me want to see it!

And thanks for your interesting information.
Appreciate 0