E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Hydraulic Jack?

04-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
wig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328I

Hydraulic Jack?

Guys,

Do I need that hockey puck item to use a hydraulic jack on my E90
sedan? Want to put some wheels on next week and was wondering if
I need such device.

Thanks,
Wig
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The jack adapter from ecs tuning is not required but fits exactly into the jack point. I myself just use a regular floor jack actually this one (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=aluminum+jack) The jack point on the car can crush a little but the replacement part is cheap.
Become a BMW CCA member; please use member #405205 as a reference . Click here to join online
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The jack point is a thick piece of plastic. It can take quite a bit of abuse. It is meant to lift the car up. If you use a floor jack and it properly rolls under the car as it should when you lift the car, then there really shouldn't be any damage to the jack point.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
wig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328I

Thanks for the prompt reply. Where can I put jack stands? I'm
new to BMW and really can't see where to put jack stand due
to the plastic under carriage .

Wig
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Wig, if you do a search you will find several threads on the subject. The front cross member has a jack point in the center under the engine that you can lift the front of the car and place jack stands under the lift/jack points discussed above.

Jack up the rear by the rear subframe behind the differential. Don't use the diff! Place the rear stands under the rear lift points.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
leee90
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320D LCI sport innovation

Safe jacking and stand placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The jack point is a thick piece of plastic. It can take quite a bit of abuse. It is meant to lift the car up. If you use a floor jack and it properly rolls under the car as it should when you lift the car, then there really shouldn't be any damage to the jack point.
No.........the plastic is not for lifting, it is to locate the jack or stand.
Best and safest way to lift if you need to get uder the car, is on the centre lifting point (steel bit under alluminuim crossmember) and place safety stands under the side jacking points (inside the square plastic bits).
Same at rear. Lift on the steel crossmember behind the diff. and put stands under the side jacking points.
...............stands need a small head to fit inside the plastic squares. If you use small blocks of wood to fit inside plastic square to take the load on the stand, use hard wood........soft wood is dangerous under load.

I have taught automotive safety for many years..............don't become a news headline by doing it wrong !
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leee90 View Post
No.........the plastic is not for lifting, it is to locate the jack or stand.
Best and safest way to lift if you need to get uder the car, is on the centre lifting point (steel bit under alluminuim crossmember) and place safety stands under the side jacking points (inside the square plastic bits).
Same at rear. Lift on the steel crossmember behind the diff. and put stands under the side jacking points.
...............stands need a small head to fit inside the plastic squares. If you use small blocks of wood to fit inside plastic square to take the load on the stand, use hard wood........soft wood is dangerous under load.

I have taught automotive safety for many years..............don't become a news headline by doing it wrong !
Thanks for repeating EXACTLY what I said on April 3rd.

You'll also find a thread on this same subject from 3 years ago where I posted pictures of the front (with the plastic belly pan removed) and rear subframes showing the E90 center lifting points. I took the pictures with my car on my Rotary SPO-A10 lift in my garage. I did so to help the less-experienced memebers of this forum understand how to properly lift the E90. At that time, because the E90 was fairly new, there was not very good information on where the center lift points were (or if there were any at all).

The plastic lifting points on the rocker panels are for lifting the car. Nowhere did I say get under the car while it is on a hydraulic jack. Hopefully when one of the memebers on this forum buys a hydraulic floor jack, he will read the instructions that come with the jack that explain the dangers of working under a car only supported by a jack. I have been safely lifting and working on cars for 35 years.

When I was 10 years old, my brother's jeep rolled off of its jacked position onto my upper left arm, so I'm quite familiar with the dangers of a car improperly supported on a jack; and take it quite seriously also.

Thanks for helping though.

Last edited by ENINTY; 04-15-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0