BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

1200 mile service and Euro Delivery

I did a search but could not find any relevent threads.

I am picking up an M3 Sedan next Friday at the Welt. I have a route planned out that is 1100 miles. I would imagine with side trips the actual total will be more like 1500 miles. My CA said it should be fine. I have asked him to consult the service manage and let me know what he say. I just don't want to run into any warranty issues down the line. I could pay out of pocket for the service while I am in Europe. My understanding is that BMW NA will not reimburse for the service done during ED anymore. I am also concerned about losing a day doing the service and any language barrier.

Has anybody else every run into this issue on a Euro Delivery? Did anybody do their 1200 mile service a few hundred miles late?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
      04-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I can speak from experience here. I did ED of an E90 in August of last year.

First off, cost: I can't speak to BMW NA reimbursing for the maintenance, but you will have to pay out of pocket at least to the dealership that does the maintenance. After that if you can get BMW to reimburse you, great, but either way you do have to plan on paying for it.

Second, SCHEDULE. This is very, very important. Many dealerships are booked a few weeks in advance at least, I ended up finding only one dealership in Katwijk-An-Zee (Netherlands) that would do it on a week's notice, and I recommend them highly if you plan on being in NL - Van Poelgeest BMW. The town is beautiful (little resort town), the beach is a 1-2m walking distance from the dealership, and they did a great job quickly. But whomever you choose, schedule it SOON. Like now. Right now.

I wouldn't worry about the language barrier, just about every dealership has folks that speak english and you're not asking for an engine overhaul. Make sure you're clear it's an M (since the non-M's don't need the 1200m service and they may be confused) and that it's the first service. It's important you point it out both these so they know what to expect and can tell you if they have the fluids needed to do it.

I can tell you, unequivocally, that you should drive the 1100+ miles, lose the day to service, and drive on the Nurburgring. Seriously. Besides having a great story for every party and the look of shock on everyone's face when you tell them, it's a beautiful track and a ton of fun. You don't have to have experience driving on a track and you don't even have to drive that fast on it, but just to say you did it is worth the day and the service cost. I promise.

Also, the drive from Katwijk-An-Zee to the Nurburgring isn't far - About a 4-hour drive. In our case we had the service done, drove down to the 'ring that evening, stayed in a hotel nearby and were on the track the next afternoon (only open at 5pm I think that day). There's almost certainly dealerships closer, of course, I'm just recommending the only place I can.

Enjoy your trip!
      04-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I would love to do the ring but I don't think I can on this trip. I am traveling with my wife and three young children. Taking two or three days to go to a track on our 2 1/2 week trip might be pushing it a little. I have thought about it quite a bit but think I have to save that for our next ED. I will be driving on some great roads. I think I will have to wait till it gets back to the states to get on a track. I have been on a few and it is like nothing else. I can only imagine how awesome the 13 miles of "green hell" must be to drive.

Did you check to see if you would have been covered with the ED insurance on the ring?

I heard back from my CA and he said 1500 miles will be no problem. He has had some M cars go as far as 2000 miles before the first service. Part of me still wants to get the service done and head to the ring while I am in Europe...
      04-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Taking two or three days to go to a track on our 2 1/2 week trip might be pushing it a little.
Did you check to see if you would have been covered with the ED insurance on the ring?

I heard back from my CA and he said 1500 miles will be no problem. He has had some M cars go as far as 2000 miles before the first service. Part of me still wants to get the service done and head to the ring while I am in Europe...
I'm in the same boat on a couple of levels:

1) my plan looks like amounting to 1,500 mi - I called my CA and we checked w/ the Svc Manager, should be OK.

2) My sched is too tight to do the Nordschleife this trip But I'm fortunate in that I get to Gemany ever 18m or so and will go back - just not in my new M. With the wife; have a wedding to go to; see family; pick up car; and meeting friends in S. France - too much in 2 weeks to fit in side trip. But I have mapped out some nice roads and will stop at Mulhouse on the way S.

3) As far as I know ED insurance would not cover going on the track - no matter you are not 'going for it' unless the 'Ring is regarded as a regular road.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey,

I did a EU Delivery last August and drove roughlyt 2500 miles. I had the service done in Germany, and was reimbursed later in the US. BMW wiill not give you the best exchange rate out there, but you'll get most of the money back.

I'd change the oil, so that you are comfortable doing 155 on the Autobahn.
Cheers,

CSL
      04-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

AFAIK the 'ring *is* considered a regular road, albeit a toll road. They emphasize this quite heavily actually, to remind you that the police can and will ticket you for doing stupid shit, just like on a regular road. As for whether ED insurance specifically covers it, I don't know, and I wasn't stupid enough to ask in advance.
      04-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
I would love to do the ring but I don't think I can on this trip. I am traveling with my wife and three young children. Taking two or three days to go to a track on our 2 1/2 week trip might be pushing it a little. I have thought about it quite a bit but think I have to save that for our next ED. I will be driving on some great roads. I think I will have to wait till it gets back to the states to get on a track. I have been on a few and it is like nothing else. I can only imagine how awesome the 13 miles of "green hell" must be to drive.

Here, let me help.

"Hey honey, there's this really famous racetrack and it's near this beautiful little german town. We could go, do some shopping, maybe stop by and see what's up..."

"Oh hey, look at all the cool cars! Would you and the kids like to stand here and watch them for a little while? Of course you would. This will only take a minute. Well, ok, ten minutes. Less if I'm fast."