BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
4u3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Taking it to Summit Point Raceway

Taking my 09 E92 to Summit Point May 1. They have Friday afternoon at the track. All day event classroom and track time with an instructor in car for $225.00. Not a bad deal. Summit Point is located in West Vir. Anyone been?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Summit Point is a great track! I was there 2 weeks ago with the NJBMWCCA. Some of the turns are a little rough, but it shouldn't bother you too much. If it's wet, be careful with the patched pavement - it gets slippery.

The front straight is fast. I get up to about 120 in my E46 328i, so an M3 should be quite a bit faster. Build speed slowly to check your braking zone - you don't want to run off the track at the end of the front straight. Turn one has some patch that you have to be careful of.

My favorite section is turn 3 to 5. You'll be accelerating up a hill in a gentle left hand sweep, then down the hill in a right hander. The track straightens out long enough to apply hard braking so you can make a hard left hand turn into the carosel. I also like the esses after the carosel. In fact, I like the whole track! The surrounding area is beautiful, as well.

You'll have a blast!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Summit Point is a great track....I believe they just repaved it as well, so you should be in for a treat.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

I wouldn't exactly call Summit Point a great track, but it is a nice, fun little place to run around. It has a couple of danger areas, in particlar, the exit of the "chute" and T9, where many people have rolled their cars and/or died. It's in the same league as Nelson Ledges, BeaveRun, Gingerman, Grattan, and Blackhawk Farms. OK, Nelson Ledges may be in a league of their own In my book, a great track is Road Atlanta, Road America, VIR, Watkins Glen, or Mid-Ohio (as you can tell, I pretty much stick to the eastern US, but I'd LOVE to drive Laguna Seca and Infineon Raceway someday)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
8INTO3=M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe -- Interlagos Blue

Summit is dumpy -- but in a good way! They seem to repave about every few months, or whenever Home Depot has a sale...

Lots of fun to be had, but keep an eye on 9 & 10 -- both are car collectors. If you keep your foot in it, you should see 145 on the front straight!

Try the chili -- its made with real possum and local beaver
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Been to Summit Point twice and we (www.MVPTrackTime.com) will be on the main course September 28th. Really prefer the main circuit to the Shenandoah course.

Feff
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I have run Summit Point and it was very rough the time I was there. I understand it has been resurfaced (here and there) but the reports are a mixed bag - good to bad. Fun track, but as stated, care is the operative word. Enjoy.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0