E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335D Particle Filter...

04-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

335D Particle Filter...

Hello peeps,

Just been suggested that I consider changing the particle filter/s on my 335d for a 200 Cell 'Decat Style' replacement.

Apparently they are responsible for a significant loss of power on the 335d and its a good move in addition to any remap/exhaust etc...

Real or Bollocks?

Discuss

Oh, search yields nothing relating to modding... only failures etc. Which I guess leads to the question - will changing it upset I-Drive?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I would not do it personally. With a re-map and other mods you prob could get a genuine 370bhp...

Removing the particle filter will allow a really aggressive map, but it wil smoke like a kebab and will also risk destroying the gearbox.

Money would be better spent on an exhaust system.. The DPF is in the downpipes anyhow.

The DPF is not causing a loss of power. it would only be a restriction if you were on a ''Balls out'' quest for major Ponies (400+) and like i said, would look like an old ford diesel for the amount of soot out the back.
      04-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

I know Ant (Speed Relgion) recomends a free flow exhaust while keeping on the downpipe (DPF).

Sounds a world of pain i.e. road side stops or MOT as would this put lots of black smoke out as well?

Are these things proven to give good power returns as well?
      04-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Apparently so, but I am not going to say where I heard this yet...

It seems the 200 cell option limits black smoke significantly... but I dont know until I see and I dont want to be the guinea pig!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

At this stage it's not worth the risk.

Best option is to go for the bigger bore exhaust from the bottom of the downpipes (so DPF stays in place) back. The bigger bore, freer flowing exhaust will mean you can have a map with less boost to achieve the same bhp as a 335d with std exhaust, you'll also get quicker spool, so the gain in longevity of the turbos by running lower boost may be offset slightly by the quicker spool up.

I am not sure what Carl is referring to when he says 370bhp can be achieved with other mods on top of a remap (maybe filter / intake / cooling?), but either way I would never recommend running that sort of power for a pre-longed time on a 335d. 350bhp is more than enough, for 400bhp plus then you are into the realms of looking at various upgrades including turbo / intercooler / intake and the many various hoses etc. Unproven, costly and as yet not worth taking the risk.

Jules.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Jules is right, it is a big risk.

But i think the turbos can take close to 400, the injectors and fuel pump would need upgrading and larger intercooler would be ideal.

All that prob would kill the DPF though.
      04-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Its an interesting position then.

Someone will have to do it sooner or later, if not for the massive gains discussed but because its a new angle and like a straight through exhaust it could lead to a smoother torque curve and less requirement for big boost!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Just a big issue with warranty.

Its a big modification really, and into a unknown territory with the 335d. No doubt it would work

I was talking to a guy with a 306 2.0d at the pod, it was 190bhp up from like 100 and run a 14.8. VERY impressive
      04-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

To be fair mate if I am fitting an exhaust, wheels, LSD, remap and a host of other bits I need to consider my warranty carefully anyway!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Yes of course, but the removal of something like that is somewhat different to fitting an LSD etc.
      04-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW will hit the fucking roof if they find the LSD mate lol

Imagine the whole world of things they can get out of then!!! haha

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

They wouldn't hit the roof if you had a different diff fitted, especially as the Quaiffe one is a better quality item than the OEM part. There are a few owners on here who have them fitted and I don't think any of them have been questioned....and why should they? If there was any warranty related issues then admittedly your chances of getting the work done without charge would become more difficult, however it would all depend on what the failure was and what the ultimate root cause was. If you replaced the DPF then this would be instantly detectable as it would throw up an ECU fault, I am not sure if this can be permanently removed so it becomes undetectable, but even a good map wouldn't hide the black smoke. I have lowering springs fitted and potentially that could cause premature wear of certain items, however most of these items would be "wear" parts anyway so wouldn't be covered by the warranty, it would only be when items fail catastrophically or show signs of failing prematurely that the warranty would come into effect, the likelyhood of this occurring as a result of springs would be slim, plus you as an owner have to take some ownership if an issue like this occurred. Remaps are a lot more tricky, what is absolutely clear is that they willl be putting more stress on the engine, turbo's, cooling system, braking system and drivetrain and will quite clearly be causing accelerated wear and tear on a multitude of parts. As our model is "relatively" new then it is uncertain as to what the long term catastrophic failures could be, there have already been cases of turbo's failing, various hoses and pipes fracturing, diff's / gearboxes failing so sonner or later this may become more common and certainly more well known. Dealer's aren't stupid and for them it's more a case of making an decision to do work for a customer, based around economic gain and retention for both parties.

Like has already been said, a map to 350bhp is as far as you'd really want to go. Beyond that you need to spend big money for unproven mods that you will have no chance of hiding from a Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah maybe I am cynical, I suspect my local stealer would dispute anything. Including if I had used the cup holder to hold a can for example!!

I guess the way this post was meant to come across has gone all wrong....

I wasnt saying it should be a chase for big power etc, merely pondering the benefits, the pro's and con's etc...

I suspect if there was any point, people would be doing it is the bottom line.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I wouldn't touch the DPF at all - yes, it increase back pressure on the turbos, but the benefits it gives vastly outweighs the downside. The amount of soot that will come out of the back of your car without the DPF will be unimaginable. Plus you'll almost certainly fail any MOT in the future.

Far better to replace the exhaust post downpipes to free up the residual back pressure. And Jules is right - 350bhp is the MAX you really want to consider. Getting to 370bhp will require much more than a remap - the fuel rail pressure will be so high to get the right balance that it will be touch and go whether it can withstand the flow rate. Also you'll then have issues with cooling and longterm reliability. Minimum you would need a new oil cooler, uprated intercooler etc etc... Whilst the majority of parts can be taken from the basis of a 335i, I'm not sure whether you want to be the guinea pig for that...!

And incidentally, dealers won't give the diff a second glance - they won't even know an LSD has been fitted, unless they happen to turn one of the back wheels and notice the other turns as well. Do you know how 'by the book' most of the technicians are??? I guarantee you ask the majority how a LSD works, and they'll look at you like you want them to take drugs...

And if on the odd chance the dealer does find the LSD, so what???? The LSD has no bearing on any other mechanical part, other than the rear driveshafts and the prop shaft. It doesn't even affect the gearbox! BMW cannot refuse warranty work on the engine, for example, just because a LSD has been fitted - to be able to reject a warranty claim, BMW by law have to prove that the LSD is the sole cause, and only possible cause, of whatever is being claimed under warranty. If they continue to attempt to reject the claim and have not proved the root cause to be a modified part, then a swift letter to Customer Services outlining your pending court claim will lead to them fixing your car very very very quickly!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #15
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Yeah maybe I am cynical, I suspect my local stealer would dispute anything. Including if I had used the cup holder to hold a can for example!!

I guess the way this post was meant to come across has gone all wrong....

I wasnt saying it should be a chase for big power etc, merely pondering the benefits, the pro's and con's etc...

I suspect if there was any point, people would be doing it is the bottom line.

Matt
Matt,

Try a different dealer.

The one you are currently using is probably the same one that I used to use. They are fine for an oil change but anything else just becomes a challenge. I now travel a few miles more for a much better service.

Jules

ps pm me as oposed to naming and shaming on here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Believe it or not mate, I think the one you have moved to is the one I am complaining about as I remember we spoke on it in the past.

For some reason, they just rub me up the wrong way!

The other which you dont use anymore is my local Stealer, and they are undeniably hopeless!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Removing the DPF won't cause it to smoke if mapped properly. It will give a good chunk more power though. There is a guy on e60 forum who has his removed and no smoke.

Not sure if I will go down that road or not. My 535d is pretty much flat out now. Trying to find a bigger intercooler next then maybe bin the DPF not sure yet.

Loads of potential on these engines. I did read somewhere that the new engine may not handle more that 350ish due to the alloy block, where as the old cast block is good for over 400bhp. I really fancy the new engine/car but this is kind of putting me off.
      04-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmc View Post
Removing the DPF won't cause it to smoke if mapped properly. It will give a good chunk more power though. There is a guy on e60 forum who has his removed and no smoke.

Not sure if I will go down that road or not. My 535d is pretty much flat out now. Trying to find a bigger intercooler next then maybe bin the DPF not sure yet.

Loads of potential on these engines. I did read somewhere that the new engine may not handle more that 350ish due to the alloy block, where as the old cast block is good for over 400bhp. I really fancy the new engine/car but this is kind of putting me off.
I'm not nearly as worried about the block as the gearbox!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

Yeah I know what you mean. My car is running too much torque for my box and I cant find anywhere to uprate the box if/when it fails.

If you go to the right mapper he can limit torque to say 700nm ( roughtly max for the newer boxes ) but give you more bhp. BHP wont damage the box.
      04-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean. My car is running too much torque for my box and I cant find anywhere to uprate the box if/when it fails.

If you go to the right mapper he can limit torque to say 700nm ( roughtly max for the newer boxes ) but give you more bhp. BHP wont damage the box.
Funnily enough you seem to have got exactly where I was coming from when I posted this thread...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

What bhp and torque you running?

What you run at pod?
      04-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #22
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep

hard to say. I rolling roaded it with my boost hose hanging off ( did not know at the time ) and made 320bhp. I fixed the hose and got a stronger map so I reckon around 350 to 360bhp. torque around 700nm

POD no idea I live 50 miles north of Aberdeen, only sheep up here