E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Mr. Clean Dry Free Car Wash = Water Spot

07-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Mr. Clean Dry Free Car Wash = Water Spot

Don't use it, it's useless. They supposedly sprays ionized (or de-ionized, I forget) water onto your car so it wouldn't leave spots. It is completely BS. I have water spots all over my car now, and I can't even wax it off with Zaino. Anyone got any suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Have to disagree with you there, bud. I've used this very product and it's worked very nicely for me every time.

Make sure your filter insert is still good to go, there's a transparent section on the filter that will turn brown when it's exhausted. The filter doesn't supply an infinite amount of de-ionized water, so be careful with how much of that you're using. You use the filtered water in the rinse setting, and possibly in the soap setting also.

Also, the trial filter has only a third of the capacity of the refill.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
yea i've used it too and its really amazing, it definatly worked for me. The best suggestion I have is to follow the directions to a T.

It onlly works if you really follow through with the wash, which means really washing every bit of the car, if there is dirt in the corner then it will ruin the effect and you will get water spots. Good luck
      07-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If the spots are really stuck on there, clay bar will get them off. OR if you want to risk it, fingernail running around the edge will loosen the minerals.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #5
Kao BMW
iLOVE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Make sure you don't leave it to dry under the sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
330iBMWguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i - On Order

I also have to disagree. I used it for the first time today and my car looks great. I waited until the sun was starting to go down.
      07-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

I have not used it on my new e90 yet, but on my c class I had water tons of water spots! Maybe I was doing something wrong.
      07-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

My guess is that people really overestimate how much deionized water will be generated before the filter is used up. I'm thinking it's on the order of just a minute or two per wash, so if you buy the starter kit that's only 3 minutes. If you get distracted for a bit, down the drain it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: beautiful

Better products than Mr Clean Auto Dry

Here are better products for cleaning your car without drying.

http://www.crspotless.com

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/

I have read that the crspotless system works very good, and one of the advantages is the cost, and also that you can you your shampoo, or don't use any shampoo at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Don't use it, it's useless. They supposedly sprays ionized (or de-ionized, I forget) water onto your car so it wouldn't leave spots. It is completely BS. I have water spots all over my car now, and I can't even wax it off with Zaino. Anyone got any suggestions??
Wash your car in a solution of vinegar and water. 50/50 should work. Go full strength if the spots are stubborn. Do it in the morning when the car is cool, so the solution doesn't dry before you get to rinse it off.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

xspeedy the solution of vinegar and water is safe for chrome and the paint of the car, in what cars you have tested.

I have read about this solution for I have only tested for the windows.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #12
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would prefer to use the 50/50 white vinegar on the windows and use a clay bar for the paint.

How safe is to use the clay bar on the windows?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #13
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq
xspeedy the solution of vinegar and water is safe for chrome and the paint of the car, in what cars you have tested.

I have read about this solution for I have only tested for the windows.
It is a common practice, and vinegar is a very mild acid. Try it on a beater first if you are unsure. Just make sure you do one panel at a time and rinse well. I think there is far less potential for damage with vinegar than with a clay bar. Clay should really be reserved for more serious problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Here are better products for cleaning your car without drying.

http://www.crspotless.com

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/

I have read that the crspotless system works very good, and one of the advantages is the cost, and also that you can you your shampoo, or don't use any shampoo at all.
Has anyone ever used these systems???

Do you think they are worth the money?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 12:13 AM   #15
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am sure that this systems work very good, I would choose the first one, it is not very difficult to undertand the technology behind, you will have the same results if you filter all the water that cleans your car, but it would take a lot of time with a normal filter.

Also I have read this on the CRspotless site:

We guarantee that we offer the best de-ionized water system available to consumers at the best price. We guarantee that you will receive a system that produces spot free water to clean and rinse your automobiles, motorcycles, RV's, house windows, boats, patio funiture - you name it - wherever you want to save time drying and leave a sparkling, spot-free finish - you should use the CR SPOTLESS System.

Here's our promise to you:

If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with the CR SPOTLESS system, simply return it for a full refund - no questions asked!

We appreciate your business. Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found the information about crspotless and spotfree in this sites searching in google:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...BMqMsQH7i7T_Dg
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...BMqMsQH7i7T_Dg
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 09:55 PM   #16
teamgomez
Rep
Drives: '04 SMG M3

CR Spotless user

Been using the CR Spotless system for just over a year now (both in present form- replaceable cartridges- and previous form- cylinder exchange monthly).

I got it primarily for the SUV that would leak water from crevices for miles after 'drying' it off and those leaks would leave waterspots. A friend of mine got this for his RV and turned me on to it- it works as advertised and has me doing handsprings every time I use it b/c I no longer worry about spots- period.

I also have it hooked up to a pressure washer and it makes the system the "binford 5000" of wash systems; I also use it to hit the house windows once/mo.

Hope this helped-

~John
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #17
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

About Mr Clean Auto Dry:

Don't buy this product, you will end up with more water spots than before, you will waste more water than with a normal wash, and you will always have to buy the filter and soap every 10 times of use.

Also I takes more time to clean a car with this system than with a bucket, in average it takes me to clean a car 45 minutes, and with this system I clean a car in over 1 hour and 10 minutes, not included the time it takes me to dry for water spots left in the car.

Steps to clean a car with a bucket and water:

1- Remove dirt with a sponge and water
2- Dry the car

Steps to clean a car with Mr Clean

1- Rinse the car
2- Rinse the car with soap
3- Remove dirt with a sponge
4- Rinse the car to remove soap
5- Use the filter option to rinse the car with purified water ( this takes a lot of time because the pressure is low and you need to be sure to rinse all the car very slowly )

If you see there are a lot of steps in the Mr Clean autodry system, that is why it takes more time to clean it.

Belive me, this system don't work as advertise, even they have a money back guarantee it will cost you more to return it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #18
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
Has anyone ever used these systems???

Do you think they are worth the money?

Thanks,
with that much money, just buy a water softener for the house. no spots and leaves your skin nice and soft.

mr.clean car wash...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #19
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I use this thing all the time and i love it...just be careful and change out the filters after 4 or 5 uses, instead of the 10 they recommend...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #20
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Quote:
...Steps to clean a car with a bucket and water:

1- Remove dirt with a sponge and water
2- Dry the car

Steps to clean a car with Mr Clean

1- Rinse the car
2- Rinse the car with soap
3- Remove dirt with a sponge
4- Rinse the car to remove soap
5- Use the filter option to rinse the car with purified water ( this takes a lot of time because the pressure is low and you need to be sure to rinse all the car very slowly )

If you see there are a lot of steps in the Mr Clean autodry system, that is why it takes more time to clean it.
evoq, I don't know what your affiliation with this system is, but you seem to promote it very strongly. You may not be affiliated, but I am wary.

I'm sure it's a great system, it works on the same principle as Mr. Clean's system does, just on a larger scale.

You seem to have missed a couple steps with your water and bucket wash. Don't you rinse it with water first before removing dirt with spong? Don't you also then rinse it with water prior to drying? Seems to me that Mr. Clean only has one more step than your 4 step bucket system, and that's rinsing again with the de-ionized water. The rinse step only takes me about 2-3 minutes.

Go ahead and wash your car however you would like... Listen to whomever you like...

Mr. Clean has been working well for me... I was uncertain at first, but have now learned to use it. Take the cartridge out while washing, I don't know why but it lasts longer. I end up replacing the cartridge every 2 washes, once it turns a little shade of brown, you gotta get a new one. This lifespan will also depend on the water in your area.

I wouldn't paint with such a large brush, it's been working well for many of us here.

Oh, and despite my shaven head, I am not Mr. Clean.
      09-16-2005, 07:40 AM   #21
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
evoq, I don't know what your affiliation with this system is, but you seem to promote it very strongly. You may not be affiliated, but I am wary.

I'm sure it's a great system, it works on the same principle as Mr. Clean's system does, just on a larger scale.

You seem to have missed a couple steps with your water and bucket wash. Don't you rinse it with water first before removing dirt with spong? Don't you also then rinse it with water prior to drying? Seems to me that Mr. Clean only has one more step than your 4 step bucket system, and that's rinsing again with the de-ionized water. The rinse step only takes me about 2-3 minutes.

Go ahead and wash your car however you would like... Listen to whomever you like...

what petercat said
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #22
dbstang
My Car is a HYBRID! It burns gas and rubber.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
I used Mr. Clean system for the first time this weekend and car came out awesome. Not a waterspot to be found. Worked well. Took about the same time as drying by hand.