BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

05-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

1200 miler - service indicator, or just miles?

I'm curious if the service info in the dash or iDrive info should be showing miles to initial 1200 mile service, of if this is governed simply by the mileage?

I'm smart enough to be able to read the odomoter, but the oil change service is indicating 14000 miles now, with 800 miles on car. Only reason for my concern is I will be having the car serviced at a different dealer 100 miles from the purchase dealer, and wondered if the initial service has somehow been reset by them prior to sale. This was a "demo" but only had ~200 miles so I'm pretty sure it hadn't been serviced. If I'm going to have to sort this out, I'd rather do it before standing in the service drive.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

I'm going to go with "should get service indicator" since I took it in today with 1300 miles and found that the original dealer had performed the entire 1200 service at 260 miles. I knew this was a demo, but clearly didn't expect that.

Spoke with one of the SA at selling dealer (different than current service dealer) and apparently the car battery died after about 9 months, they replaced and when powered back up it indicated service required. Didn't think they had any choice and did the service then......

No worries - service dept. in Birmingham is doing entire run-in service including oil, diff and trans change, agreed that this was a mileage based need, not time and that they'd work it out with BMWNA. Nice.

The selling dealer's SA said the fluid changes were pointless and overkill anyway...... Yeah, not if you plan to keep the car very long-term perhaps.
Appreciate 0